We Need More Mods to Combat Spam Threads.

Yes... and no. More mods would definitely help get rid of those ridiculous random spam threads, and it would prevent a lot of flame wars on here. But, how do you know they'll be able to be on 24/7? Honestly, unless they devote their life to the internet, or you hire a crapton of them, you won't be able to solve the problem completely. And as far as decent mods, I'm pretty sure that mods are chosen based on their past, i.e. immature members or members who broke the rules a lot are less likely to be chosen as mod than others.

The real solution, is perma-banning. The trolls (yes, they're trolls, a.k.a. attention seekers) are just gonna keep coming back everytime you ban them, and they're gonna continue. Like, literally, look at the spammer who've been banned multiple times. They literally post another shtposting thread like an hour after their ban is lifted. Give people a few chances, to change themselves, and after that, perma-ban. Or the least the mods could do is extend ban-time based on the situation. Like, if someone spams 24/7 that they're on TBT, give them a year-long ban. If they just do it occasionally, give em a week or a month.

The other solution, which the members of TBT can do, is to ignore it. Scroll past, and ignore their buffoonery. If you post, it feeds the trolls, and it makes the trolls start to attack you, and others soon start to dislike you or hate you because of it. Since the mods are likely not going to be able to ban people 24/7 or perma-ban, this is the only valid solution. This thread itself is like a gallon of gasoline; there's going to be people saying that there's no spam, and that this is all bull****, which is going to start another flame war. Wait until the next Animal Crossing game comes out if you want a permanent solution; we'll get a wealth of brand new members who /hopefully/ aren't as spam-inclined as the ones we have now.

Yes... and no. More mods would definitely help get rid of those ridiculous random spam threads, and it would prevent a lot of flame wars on here. But, how do you know they'll be able to be on 24/7? Honestly, unless they devote their life to the internet, or you hire a crapton of them, you won't be able to solve the problem completely. And as far as decent mods, I'm pretty sure that mods are chosen based on their past, i.e. immature members or members who broke the rules a lot are less likely to be chosen as mod than others.

The real solution, is perma-banning. The trolls (yes, they're trolls, a.k.a. attention seekers) are just gonna keep coming back everytime you ban them, and they're gonna continue. Like, literally, look at the spammer who've been banned multiple times. They literally post another shtposting thread like an hour after their ban is lifted. Give people a few chances, to change themselves, and after that, perma-ban. Or the least the mods could do is extend ban-time based on the situation. Like, if someone spams 24/7 that they're on TBT, give them a year-long ban. If they just do it occasionally, give em a week or a month.

The other solution, which the members of TBT can do, is to ignore it. Scroll past, and ignore their buffoonery. If you post, it feeds the trolls, and it makes the trolls start to attack you, and others soon start to dislike you or hate you because of it. Since the mods are likely not going to be able to ban people 24/7 or perma-ban, this is the only valid solution. This thread itself is like a gallon of gasoline; there's going to be people saying that there's no spam, and that this is all bull****, which is going to start another flame war. Wait until the next Animal Crossing game comes out if you want a permanent solution; we'll get a wealth of brand new members who /hopefully/ aren't as spam-inclined as the ones we have now.

Haters, amirite.

I don't think we need more mods, but some users on here that repeatedly create useless threads should just be permanently banned.

Right now 3/7 of our staff are online. We're just on invisible.
Why the heck would mods have invisible mode turned on? Isn't part of the role of a mod to be a visible presence (even if you are not really paying attention) to detract spammers from posting? You're not the secret service or an undercover agent.

I think perma (or at least 6 month/over a year) bans are a good solution. If there's a user that's constantly spamming again and again after several bans, maybe an extended ban will give them time to grow up a little.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Why the heck would mods have invisible mode turned on? Isn't part of the role of a mod to be a visible presence (even if you are not really paying attention) to detract spammers from posting? You're not the secret service or an undercover agent.

Trolls tend to create spam threads when they don't see any mods online. Being on invisible is a good strategy for a number of reasons. Watching threads unfold is a major one.

Last edited:
Trolls tend to create spam threads when they don't see any mods online. Being on invisible is a good strategy for a number of reasons. Watching threads unfold is a major one.
They are not trying to break up a drug trafficking organization or uncover a terrorist plot. There is no need for a sting operation to find and destroy spammers. They are better off discouraging spammers from posting and if spammers still go ahead anyway then just ban them.

They are not trying to break up a drug trafficking organization or uncover a terrorist plot. There is no need for a sting operation to find and destroy spammers. They are better off discouraging spammers from posting and if spammers still go ahead anyway then just ban them.

I know for a fact that banning spammers for a day or two just gets them all excited to come back and wreak more havoc.

I know I would.

They can IP ban you know.

I think perma (or at least 6 month/over a year) bans are a good solution. If there's a user that's constantly spamming again and again after several bans, maybe an extended ban will give them time to grow up a little.

Spammers such as some of the ones previously in this thread would be banned for 6 months (the max that the mods here use, for the majority of offenses) in the past, dunno why not now.

i feel like they'll just make a new account if they get a perm ban

You can only make alts with a different email account, I doubt anyone will go so far as to create multiple emails for the sole purpose of spamming a forum.

You can only make alts with a different email account, I doubt anyone will go so far as to create multiple emails for the sole purpose of spamming a forum.

As someone with over 200 email accounts, I can tell you it doesn't take as long as you'd think it would to create them.

i've actually done that a lot on a different forum board lol. kept getting banned, kept making new accounts. the other forum board i participated in was actually decent though (the mods were chill yet did their jobs, almost none of the members were immature by making **** posting threads, etc), thats the only reason why i kept making new accounts. tbt is turning into **** imo, so i really wouldnt care if i got banned here. anyway, creating a new email to make a new account takes less than ten minutes, so its not really trouble or time consuming

We all have our own individual reasons and we aren't required to explain. But y'know what? I'll indulge you on mine. I turn invisible on/off depending on how available I actually am - and right now I'm not available as much due to health issues and being only three months away from graduating university. Even if I have the forum open, I'm not actively browsing much of that time. I usually just look for a quick minute or so at the moment.

People complain if they've messaged you and you don't prioritise their issue and deal with it immediately, as if they expect us to drop everything else for them that second - and some people can be incredibly rude about it. People treat us as if we're paid customer service staff forgetting that this is a volunteer position. We're here in our free time.

Last edited:
Back