• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Warning about Club Tortimer

Mr_Keroppi

🐸Hoppy Little Frog🐸
Bells
Switch
2869-7771-1393
Green Bunny Balloon
Psychedelic Snow Bunny
Moon Bunny
Snow Bunny
Daisy Easter Egg
Toy Hammer
森
Dreamy Party Popper
Spirit Candy: Pierrot
Leaf Ticket Easter Egg
Hello everyone! I used to love playing Club Tortimer to try and find those rare island gift shop items because then I didn't have to wait every day for the items to change! It was also a fun place to play with random people on tours! Recently though a BIG problem has been found in alot of 3DS & Wii U online games where just by playing a game while connected with someone they can take over your entire system and Hack it. They can take pictures, and audio recordings through the camera and also delete or destroy ANYTHING on your console. One of the games with this problem unpatched is New Leaf. Another thing is that there are SOOOOO many hackers on the island not just for items, ones that will steal things from your save and mess up your town. Its just pretty unsafe now to play on Tortimer Island so I just wanted to let people know so that they dont get their old towns destroyed and deleted by someone who has nothing better to do. I attached a video of proof but games like Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Animal Crossing New Leaf and more are all affected. Mario Kart 7 has been patched though but this video shows before.

Video Proof

Last edited:
Sadly Nintendo gave up on the 3ds years ago and New Leaf was one of the first to stop having updates, leaving hackers to find new ways around the system and make it a horrible experience for everyone. It’s been a while since I’ve been to club tormiter but it seems by reading this to have gotten a lot rise

I'm pretty solitary, preferring single player experiences in games most of the time, and only really choosing to interact with either close friends or people here on the forums (though, the latter is usually just transactional, buying clothing, furniture, etc.) unless it's a fighting game or something with random matchmaking. As such, I tried to avoid the worldwide option for Club Tortimer where you would interact with complete strangers. Usually if I engaged with the feature, I'd ride over on Kapp'n's boat, immediately glance over at Gram's item selection, and then either leave immediately if nothing interested me or rush over to the item I was interested in, buy it quickly, and then run to Leilani at the desk and leave immediately afterward. Never stayed long enough to say anything to anyone.

Even so, it's a shame to learn that this is something to have to worry about now. That worldwide version of Club Tortimer has exclusive items like the treasure chest, various different colors of the wetsuits, and the Silver Axe which don't show up if you play alone. Fortunately I got all the wetsuits and treasure chests I needed years ago, but it makes the Silver Axe in particular even more finite due to the risk of encountering someone with ill intent.

This is honestly sad. I wish people didn’t hack in general. I did it a very long time ago, but it was more harmless fun on Mario Kart Wii. It sucks that it’s making its way to Animal Crossing, especially in this manner. Club Tortimer was my favorite part of New Leaf, by far. I killed so many hours in the day on there. Thanks for the heads up.

One of my favorite games growing up was legit ruined by hacking. People would go online and freeze people's games while they were saving to cause the game data to corrupt. You have probably seen the disclaimer many times where the game says 'don't turn off or pull out the memory card/saving'

They called it fsod. There were a handful of notorious losers who did it to harass the community. It went from like thousands of users online to 80 in a span of a few months. Even if they were kids at the time, I don't care. It's not acceptable. And if this is kids doing this to people right now, it's still not acceptable. Some people just suck regardless of their age.

For the record, I don't have an issue with people who hack their own games or do so online without any ill intent. It's when the hacking affects others that it crosses the line.

This is really sad. I am so tired of hackers ruining games for other people. And it seems that no matter how many updates are made to fix the problem, the hackers always find ways around them. This is one of many reasons why I prefer to play alone.

It's nice of you to share the warning.

Is there actual proof of this happening or is it more of a rumour? ( Not saying you're lying - there's just a lot of rumours going around rn especially towards online features in ACNL. Just want to make sure I will be protected! )

Last edited:
I'm trying to save my medals for Club Tortimer (recently unlocked the island, and I HATE grinding), but I wasn't aware of stuff like this happening! Thanks for the warning, and I now have a goal when I get it: Spread the word about this as ASAP as possible!

(props to you if you get the reference)

Is there actual proof of this happening or is it more of a rumour? ( Not saying you're lying - there's just a lot of rumours going around rn especially towards online features in ACNH. Just want to make sure I will be protected! )
This is about Animal Crossing New Leaf and this is not a rumor. Nintendo has stopped supporting 3ds and Wii u games for years now and Dangerous hacks are starting to float around regarding these older games. You can look into this yourself from multiple sources. There isnt just sever console take over, hackers deleting and ruining peoples towns in ACNL has been a thing for years.
Edit: It has been reported to Nintendo in the past as well and that is why they patched Mario Kart 7 and multiple switch games recently even if I remember correctly.

Well, this sucks. A lot of my good NL memories are from Club Tortimer. I remember in 2018 and 2019 I started to see some hackers, but they didn’t do much other than spawning infinite items or a walking on the ocean glitch. (and that might’ve been modding their 3ds, not necessarily hacking) I didn’t mind them because they weren’t hurting anyone with the mods/hacks. But now that it’s impacting other people, that’s where I have an issue. Thank you for the warning, I’ll definitely be cautious if I decide to restart my NL town and get on club tortimer.

Update: I wanted to inform that Nintendo has recently taken down the servers for Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon on Wii U and are currently working on fixing exploits like ENLBfferPWN. Also New Leaf is affected as only certain games that had weird connection systems had this problem and all have been patched except MK8/Splat which are now getting fixed. Do be on the lookout though since ACNL hackers have been trying to destroy and corrupt saves. I never visit the Club Tortimer Island ever anymore but for newer players you can still play on Tortimer Island. Just dont do it online or with Club Tortimer memberships.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I used to love playing Club Tortimer to try and find those rare island gift shop items because then I didn't have to wait every day for the items to change! It was also a fun place to play with random people on tours! Recently though a BIG problem has been found in alot of 3DS & Wii U online games where just by playing a game while connected with someone they can take over your entire system and Hack it. They can take pictures, and audio recordings through the camera and also delete or destroy ANYTHING on your console. One of the games with this problem unpatched is New Leaf. Another thing is that there are SOOOOO many hackers on the island not just for items, ones that will steal things from your save and mess up your town. Its just pretty unsafe now to play on Tortimer Island so I just wanted to let people know so that they dont get their old towns destroyed and deleted by someone who has nothing better to do. I attached a video of proof but games like Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Animal Crossing New Leaf and more are all effected. Mario Kart 7 has been patched though but this video shows before.

Video Proof
https://twitter.com/Pablomf6/status/1606637941329215488
Would you say it is still safe to go to someone’s town and then go to Tortimer Island?

Also random question; by using this exploit can hackers access the front and back camera?
Yes as the exploit allows photos to be taken, im not sure of video or live but yes they function. It does take advantage of the Wii U gamepads front camera if your on Wii U

Back