• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Villagers worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJjeff20

Bells
I honestly feel that villagers should not have a price. I understand popularity and such, but no one should put a price on the characters themselves because IMHO, they have no worth. And me personally, if someone wants a villager that's moving out of my town and such, I will not give them a price or trade, players are welcome to give them a home for free and add them to your town or complete your dreamies. In the past, I'll admit I have bought villagers from other players because I wanted them that bad, but I feel like I'm helping them out in their goals in their town, paying off debt to nook or buying items and furniture they need. It's all selfless to me :)

I don't like to see villagers being sold/auctioned off either. With prices for Ankha or Merengue heading up to 10-15 million. I know that it is up to whoever has them moving out. If they feel like they want to sell their villagers, okay. If they want to have a raffle/giveaway then that's better.

Any villagers that I have, I like to say that I am putting them up for adoption and I'm trying to find a foster parent for them. It makes it seem not as hard to say goodbye because you are trusting them to take care of them.

While I don't like it, there's an option to opt out. People are going to do it whether you like it or not. If you don't like it, too bad. That's how this community has become.

But when I say opt out, just don't give auctions or sales the time of day. :/

I agree completely. All villagers are special in there own way, but not one deserves a price tag. They are a villager, not a toy. Auctions are just by greedy people and I get disappointed when I see one.
I have given away many villagers before. Marshal, Julian x2, Ankha, and other villagers people see as "popular".
95% of TBT sees these so called "popular" villagers are play toys which they can use to mooch money off of others. It's just not right.
Sure, people looks for some "rare" villagers as dreamies, but they are not rare at all. I mean Barold is just as rare to encounter as Marshal in-game. But it's the community which makes certain villagers "play toys" instead of actually treating them as villagers. It's not the person's fault they want Marshal because he is a sweet and cute squirrel but cannot get him in their town, it's the community's fault for making him so sought-after and "expensive", thus making him nearly impossible to get, unless you find a really kind person (which by the way, more and more people are turning nicer).
Villagers are just looking for a home and their friend (you) are taking advantage and making money behind their backs. They trust you and you treat them like dolls. You let them down completely.
I'm glad there are some kind people who give their villagers away. It's the right thing to do. Maybe one day everyone will realize that, but I guess it would be impossible.

Human lives are being sold for cash elsewhere. Why would Animal Crossing be any different?

- - - Post Merge - - -

Ankha 10 mil? Omygosh :eek:

Human lives are being sold for cash elsewhere. Why would Animal Crossing be any different?
That's an excellent comparison. Villagers are being treated like slaves, which is completely not fair. They are like slave auctions, separated from everyone they know and being sold for large amounts, even though it's wrong. Very similar.

To be honest,when there's a thread that's selling my dreamie I just buy it because well that villager is my dreamie but I buy my dreamies when it's below 100k or 200k but maybe 90k or less. But just 10mil? That's a lot of bells for selling a villager. :eek:

I think it's quite silly to pay that much for anything. But meh, no one is being hurt by it. No one is forcing anyone to pay a gazillion bells for a character. You can just concentrate on being a kind person and helping others out. I honestly cannot see the big deal about it. Maybe I am missing something, but comparing human suffering to people selling off their pixelized characters seems a bit.... much.

Maybe I am missing something, but comparing human suffering to people selling off their pixelized characters seems a bit.... much.

I totally agree.

We all post here because we really love the game. But it's a bit harsh to be so judgmental of how others play the game. If something is distasteful to you, don't participate, and then you're fine.

That's how I view it, anyway. Maybe that was a bit much, but you can see my concern over this topic. I've been through a lot so I have good experience.
There are many ways to play the game, but I play it not TTing and taking it easy :)

That's how I view it, anyway. Maybe that was a bit much, but you can see my concern over this topic. I've been through a lot so I have good experience.
There are many ways to play the game, but I play it not TTing and taking it easy :)

I suppose I just don't understand why you're so concerned. My advice to you would be to not concern yourself with what other people are doing and just be who you are. Be kind and courteous to people and help them out where and when you can by giving them in-game items or characters and hopefully, they will pay that forward the next time they see someone who needs/wants something. Someone selling <insert villager< isn't going to affect your game at all. Follow this advice and you can truly take it easy. :)

I suppose I just don't understand why you're so concerned. My advice to you would be to not concern yourself with what other people are doing and just be who you are. Be kind and courteous to people and help them out where and when you can by giving them in-game items or characters and hopefully, they will pay that forward the next time they see someone who needs/wants something. Someone selling <insert villager< isn't going to affect your game at all. Follow this advice and you can truly take it easy. :)
I've helped a lot of people out. Seeing someone get their dream villager is a great sight to see. That's why I give away villagers to give others a chance who cannot win in auctions and such.
Those kind of people don't affect me that much. I just look down upon them. But it would be nicer to give away a villager, it gives so many more people a chance.

if u compare slavery to a video game then you are dumb and you are trash. little villagers "pain" are no way close to slavery. shut up jfc

i dont see it as "slavery" and i see it more as adoption. too poor to buy a villager? too bad. dont complain about it. no one cares. dont guilt trip people. thats annoying.

you want that villager as much as that person willing to pay 10 million bells does

if u compare slavery to a video game then you are dumb and you are trash. little villagers "pain" are no way close to slavery. shut up jfc

i dont see it as "slavery" and i see it more as adoption. too poor to buy a villager? too bad. dont complain about it. no one cares. dont guilt trip people. thats annoying.

you want that villager as much as that person willing to pay 10 million bells does
Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate it.
You missed my point entirely. My point was that villagers have feelings too. It may just be a game, but that's my opinion. Everyone's opinion is different, if you don't agree, you don't have to.
Being poor isn't the problem...it's the villager worth in general. All of them should go to loving homes, is what I meant. No need to be harsh about it.

Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate it.
You missed my point entirely. My point was that villagers have feelings too. It may just be a game, but that's my opinion. Everyone's opinion is different, if you don't agree, you don't have to.
Being poor isn't the problem...it's the villager worth in general. All of them should go to loving homes, is what I meant. No need to be harsh about it.
they are furries and dont care where they end up
why do people complain about villager selling
ill be harsh if i see something stupid. are you seriously comparing a game about furries to something horrifying?

I've helped a lot of people out. Seeing someone get their dream villager is a great sight to see. That's why I give away villagers to give others a chance who cannot win in auctions and such.
Those kind of people don't affect me that much. I just look down upon them. But it would be nicer to give away a villager, it gives so many more people a chance.

You shouldn't look down on someone because they don't get as emotionally attached to inanimate objects (for lack of a better term) as you do. The villagers aren't real and they don't have feelings, unlike the people you're insulting. People who TT or sell things in auction aren't doing anything that could harm your game or your gaming experience. If you find the practice not to your taste, simply don't participate and enjoy your game and let others enjoy playing the way they wish to play.

I have to say, at first I kind of thought this whole "villager trading" thing was kind of ridiculous. But I soon realized I would have to shell out at least a couple million to get my dreamies... I do think some of these high prices are just too much. 10-15 million is pushing it, beyond that it's just like... What?

I agree with the fact that selling villagers for a price is wrong. Plus(I don't know if this is the same for anyone else), when i'm on the villager trading plaza I usually just skip over all the "Selling" or "Auctioning" threads just because those appeal to me the least and I know I probably won't be able to afford the prices.

I'm gonna have to agree with Olikuma again. If you have ever had more then one personality in your town, you realize that villagers are not unique. I had 3 smugs once. There were days when they all said the same thing, sometimes during the course of the same day!

So what's the difference between Marshal and some unpopular smug? Appearance. That's it. For those people who imbue these villagers as humans, then well, you shouldn't be trading villagers at all. Whether for bells or for free. After all, isn't that judging people by their appearance solely?

I had a friend who developed games, and I remember him saying that gamers fall into like 3 or 4 categories... Killers, Collectors, Explorers, and Socializers. The people who are into call of duty are Killers. We who love animal crossing are collectors. We want our town to be full of certain villagers, our house to be full of certain things, our trees to look a certain way...

How we get there shouldn't be judged or looked down upon. Whether you do it by bells or by building relationships with others on the board. Which, by the way, can also be argued is a "currency."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back