• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Unpleasant foods

OswinOswald

Bells
Switch
1920-3285-9320
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Black Hybrid Rose
Golden Watering Can
Red Rose
White Rose
White Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
There are certain foods, like durian for example, which people describe as an acquired taste. Natto is another I can think of. But then I was explaining to someone that I read an account of how an Asian person was trying blue cheese for the first time and it was a very pungent experience for them, probably in a similar vein to how westerners look at things like durian and natto.

What other types of foods are perhaps unpleasant or pungent or acquired tastes in your food cultures?

There's this really disgusting soup that Panera bread makes that my sister absolutely loves. It's some kind of yellow squash soup. I think butternut? She wanted to give me a spoonful. I thought it would have a autumn like nutty taste, but it tasted liked someone had spilled a ton of sugar and cinnamon in it. It was gross. I don't even go to that place, but that soup was super gross lol.

Most seafood for me.

I live in a place with a heavy seafood culture, so I'm surrounded by it. The only seafood I can tolerate is shrimp, and I don't even particularly like that either.

Also, because of the local culture, I know how to fish. But I always let them go because I would never want to eat those things.

Personally, I have no problem with durian, nato or blue cheese. Food in my culture that people might not like: Oyster, snails and frog legs. Poutine maybe. Naimo bar. Pork rinds.

There's this really disgusting soup that Panera bread makes that my sister absolutely loves. It's some kind of yellow squash soup. I think butternut? She wanted to give me a spoonful. I thought it would have a autumn like nutty taste, but it tasted liked someone had spilled a ton of sugar and cinnamon in it. It was gross. I don't even go to that place, but that soup was super gross lol.
i know this thread hasn't had any new reply in 20 days but me reading this as a panera bread squash soup enjoyer: 🧍‍♀️

i know this thread hasn't had any new reply in 20 days but me reading this as a panera bread squash soup enjoyer: 🧍‍♀️
Hahaha...I'm sorry. I just didn't like it. I'm sure there are a lot who like it. But it was way too sweet for me.

Haha, my family is cajun. Cajuns eat anything. Frog legs, turtle soup, gators, gar balls (that's just fish mixed with stuff, rolled in a ball, and fried, looks kind of like hush puppies). Gar fish are awful and a pain to work with.

But probably the oddest thing I've seen my relatives eat (and for once said no thanks, not interested, you go right ahead) was rat - specifically, nutria rat. I think they look like a cross between a rat and a beaver. Those things are invasive and everywhere down in south louisiana. And what do you do with an invasive species? You eat it. And they're really huge, so plenty of leftovers.

Root beer is something that you either like or not like.
I like ☺️.
Very good with vanilla ice cream in it.

I really dislike yuca, in English it called cassava. I've never liked it no matter how its prepared, whether its boiled or fried. Since its toxic if eaten raw it has to be prepared. Anyway, I hate the taste of it. Its also very dry and I tend to dislike dry foods.

Anything with onions added to food is a coin flip for me.
Sometimes I don't mind onions and sometimes I would not want onions on my food.

I am ridiculously easy to please when it comes to food. I've tried natto in Japan, thought it was pretty okay lol. In general I'm up for trying anything one!

Saying that there is some food that does gross me out enough to avoid it:
- Jellied eels (the whole UK judges London for that one)
- Raw minced pork / mett
- Bugs
- Balut (🤢)

I keep hearing that bugs are a good sustainable source of protein, but I definitely can’t bring myself to be okay with eating them ::shudder::

It's not acquired and most people actually like it, but I hate bacon to be honest.

broccoli cheddar soup... i think i had a really bad one where it tasted like cheese spray + huge chunks of overcooked broccoli and it forever ruined it for me.

A food I currently enjoy is ampalaya (bitter melon). Nobody I personally know actually likes it.

Back