• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What if villagers with disabilities were added in the next AC games?

Rubygame

Bells
Island
Hearthaven
Peach (Fruit)
Yellow Violet
Tasty Cake
Light Blue Balloon
Orange (Fruit)
Green Balloon
Isabelle
Toy Hammer
Yellow Balloon
New Leaf Token
Hi guys, I can't sleep and I was wandering around the internet a bit. I found on Google this image and I thought they are very cool designs.

png-clipart-animal-crossing-new-leaf-dr-kenzō-tenma-inspector-heinrich-lunge-monster-wolfgang-...png

I never thought about the possibility of characters with disabilities being added to the game, but wouldn't that be great?
Many consider Animal Crossing a game to escape from reality, every thing in this game is just pure, totally "family friendly". So maybe adding characters with disabilities would make this pure and "perfect" reality a less idyllic place?
...I don't think so!

Already in New Leaf the creators of Animal Crossing added characters with less "pleasant" aesthetic characteristics on the basis that in reality there are people of all types and you have to learn to live with everyone, I think it's good for children to approach the variety that the world offers from an early age, even if it's just a game. I've always thought of Animal Crossing as an escape, and still do, but every now and then my villagers in New Leaf remind me of my real-life goals through wishes I've made on my (in-game) birthdays. Some made/make me sad because I haven't achieved them yet, but they make me realize that I simply need to persevere and stop escaping into my imaginary worlds. Obviously it's essential to relax and take breaks every now and then, but sometimes we lose our way and no longer know where we are going. Perhaps video games should not be thought of as an escape, but as a support for real life. In video games there are wonderful worlds that can only exist in fantasy, but we too can make our lives a place where we feel "good". We spend countless hours on our favorite video games to achieve our goals and enhance our characters (in whatever sense you want to think about it), but even in life we need to achieve goals and take care of ourselves. Our characters in video games are always cared for down to the smallest detail while often in real life we don't have much respect for ourselves, nor love or self-esteem. The other day I visited a dream town in New Leaf where the mayor of the town told me: "you must be special". It was really nice to hear that. If no one tells us, do we ever tell ourselves? It would be nice if Animal Crossing became an increasingly inclusive game capable of reminding you every day how much you are worth and how important it is to love ourselves and work for ourselves and no one else, especially if we have great difficulties in life such as disabilities and we see that there are people "like us" in the game who tell us not to give up!

I want Lopez's brothers/sisters so badly right now, look at how adorable they are. Oh my God I want them on my island.
actually they look more like a combo of Bruce and Lopez xD

I'd love a villager with a disability, that would be really cool. It would also expand the universe and really expand the personalities and diversity of the villagers. Like a disabled smug or Jock would be really interesting. As well as a h person with a disability, relating to a villager who also has one, and having them on an island.

I mean a villager in a wheel chair would be adorable. I would absolutely love that.

Last edited:
I love the design of those villagers! I especially love the dog on the top row. He’s giving major tourist/traveller vibes.i wouldn’t be opposed to adding villagers with disabilities. I just had a small thought, however, that not all disabilities are visible. Sure, we can see a wheelchair, but what other disabilities would there be? I can imagine a villager with a prosthetic arm or leg. That would be an interesting concept. No other disabilities are coming to my mind, but I’m also about to head to sleep soon. Maybe I’m not thinking hard enough right now. Still, nice concept and it’s one I could actually see Nintendo implementing.

I love the design of those villagers! I especially love the dog on the top row. He’s giving major tourist/traveller vibes.i wouldn’t be opposed to adding villagers with disabilities. I just had a small thought, however, that not all disabilities are visible. Sure, we can see a wheelchair, but what other disabilities would there be? I can imagine a villager with a prosthetic arm or leg. That would be an interesting concept. No other disabilities are coming to my mind, but I’m also about to head to sleep soon. Maybe I’m not thinking hard enough right now. Still, nice concept and it’s one I could actually see Nintendo implementing.
Yes absolutely by disabilities I meant all! Even those that are not visible but can be mentioned in dialogues specifically designed for them! We can think about ADHD, or deaf-mutes (you don't notice it immediately), autism, anxiety disorders maybe? It would be nice to see a villager who works on their anxiety with some specific advice! Obviously we shouldn't expect the game to be made by professional doctors, I just don't think it's impossible to implement exclusive dialogues for these exclusive characters💕

Yes absolutely by disabilities I meant all! Even those that are not visible but can be mentioned in dialogues specifically designed for them! We can think about ADHD, or deaf-mutes (you don't notice it immediately), autism, anxiety disorders maybe? It would be nice to see a villager who works on their anxiety with some specific advice! Obviously we shouldn't expect the game to be made by professional doctors, I just don't think it's impossible to implement exclusive dialogues for these exclusive characters💕
Yeah, I think implementing specific dialogue would be feasible! I think it would give us more variety than just having the eight stagnant personality types with the same dialogue using villager reskins. Technically speaking, Raymond is the same as Rodney given the dialogue, but they are on very opposite ends of the tier list. The only difference is their appearance.

Having villagers with disabilities would give the players more to look forward to than just the same few sentences we read on a daily basis.

I don't know, personally speaking as someone professionally diagnosed with Autism I have mixed thoughts on making villagers Autistic
Autism is a very diverse spectrum and not all Autistic people are the same if we are going to be putting Autistic villagers in the game to serve as representing more diversity then I don't want to only see like one or two representations of Autism and show other people that that is what Autism is like for all Autistic people and then leave out so many Autistic representations, basically what I'm saying is I don't want people to stereotype what Autism is like and I certainly don't want neurotypical people to write what they think is Autistic dialogue for animal crossing villagers. Also you can't always tell whether or not a person is Autistic by the way they talk or act, apparently people think I am neurotypical and don't "seem" like I have Autism when I very much am in fact Autistic and disabled.

I'm not ADHD or anything else but I don't want to see other neurological disabilities and disorders stereotyped but I like I said I'm not the one who has any of those so it's not my place in the world to say if ADHD is stereotyped or not because I do not have it

I wouldn't be opposed to villagers in wheelchairs, with mobility aids, deaf villagers, blind villagers, mute villagers, villagers with prosthetic limbs etc. being implemented into the game though.

I don't know, personally speaking as someone professionally diagnosed with Autism I have mixed thoughts on making villagers Autistic
Autism is a very diverse spectrum and not all Autistic people are the same if we are going to be putting Autistic villagers in the game to serve as representing more diversity then I don't want to only see like one or two representations of Autism and show other people that that is what Autism is like for all Autistic people and then leave out so many Autistic representations, basically what I'm saying is I don't want people to stereotype what Autism is like and I certainly don't want neurotypical people to write what they think is Autistic dialogue for animal crossing villagers. Also you can't always tell whether or not a person is Autistic by the way they talk or act, apparently people think I am neurotypical and don't "seem" like I have Autism when I very much am in fact Autistic and disabled.

I'm not ADHD or anything else but I don't want to see other neurological disabilities and disorders stereotyped but I like I said I'm not the one who has any of those so it's not my place in the world to say if ADHD is stereotyped or not because I do not have it

I wouldn't be opposed to villagers in wheelchairs, with mobility aids, deaf villagers, blind villagers, mute villagers, villagers with prosthetic limbs etc. being implemented into the game though.
This is an important reflection and actually it would be too complicated and would diminish the importance of disabilities that are part of a very broad spectrum such as autism and ADHD. Only the opinion of professionals would be needed in this case, but I don't think Nintendo will move in too complex directions, its goal always remains the "family friendly" concept, for better or for worse!
Thank you for your reply Mars, I am truly grateful to have the opinion of one who lives this reality and know what it means!

Well they're animals, not people. So probably not. I have only ever seen dogs using wheels to get around, if there's a problem with their legs. They don't tend to wear hearing aids for example. And a hyperactive dog wouldn't be diagnosed with ADHD etc. It would just be considered to be their personality.

In ACNH I prefer the stairs to the ramps, so if I ended up with a wheelchair-using villager, that might be a problem.

You can pretend they're disabled if that's your thing. Though they tend to hop in and out of the wheelchair if it's there, so it's probably not realistic. You could get the Peppy's diagnosed with some form of hyperactivity at the hospital I guess.

Hi guys, I can't sleep and I was wandering around the internet a bit. I found on Google this image and I thought they are very cool designs.

View attachment 530661

I never thought about the possibility of characters with disabilities being added to the game, but wouldn't that be great?
Many consider Animal Crossing a game to escape from reality, every thing in this game is just pure, totally "family friendly". So maybe adding characters with disabilities would make this pure and "perfect" reality a less idyllic place?
...I don't think so!

Already in New Leaf the creators of Animal Crossing added characters with less "pleasant" aesthetic characteristics on the basis that in reality there are people of all types and you have to learn to live with everyone, I think it's good for children to approach the variety that the world offers from an early age, even if it's just a game. I've always thought of Animal Crossing as an escape, and still do, but every now and then my villagers in New Leaf remind me of my real-life goals through wishes I've made on my (in-game) birthdays. Some made/make me sad because I haven't achieved them yet, but they make me realize that I simply need to persevere and stop escaping into my imaginary worlds. Obviously it's essential to relax and take breaks every now and then, but sometimes we lose our way and no longer know where we are going. Perhaps video games should not be thought of as an escape, but as a support for real life. In video games there are wonderful worlds that can only exist in fantasy, but we too can make our lives a place where we feel "good". We spend countless hours on our favorite video games to achieve our goals and enhance our characters (in whatever sense you want to think about it), but even in life we need to achieve goals and take care of ourselves. Our characters in video games are always cared for down to the smallest detail while often in real life we don't have much respect for ourselves, nor love or self-esteem. The other day I visited a dream town in New Leaf where the mayor of the town told me: "you must be special". It was really nice to hear that. If no one tells us, do we ever tell ourselves? It would be nice if Animal Crossing became an increasingly inclusive game capable of reminding you every day how much you are worth and how important it is to love ourselves and work for ourselves and no one else, especially if we have great difficulties in life such as disabilities and we see that there are people "like us" in the game who tell us not to give up!
Untitled227_20240118080039.png

i think this is an amazing idea. would love to get a villager with a wheelchair who could maybe use the wheelchair item?

Untitled227_20240118080039.png

Last edited:
I'd love for disabilities to be represented in the ac world but I don't want it mentioned in the dialog. The concern I would have is the whole identity of the character being the disability but there is so much more to a person than one aspect about them.
At the end of the day, I'd be surprised if Nintendo ever made an ac character with a disability. Nintendo likes to play things safe. Others may not see it as positive like I do, a representation may come about in a way not intended, and Nintendo knows that.
That's just how I feel.

I'd love for disabilities to be represented in the ac world but I don't want it mentioned in the dialog. The concern I would have is the whole identity of the character being the disability but there is so much more to a person than one aspect about them.
At the end of the day, I'd be surprised if Nintendo ever made an ac character with a disability. Nintendo likes to play things safe. Others may not see it as positive like I do, a representation may come about in a way not intended, and Nintendo knows that.
That's just how I feel.
I agree with this so much. If villagers have disabilities then it shouldn't be smacked in our faces in the dialogue every minute. If they do add a villager with a disability it should not be as apparent. We already have one villager with a disability..
1708819195447.png

Ruby! Ruby is not only based on the legend of the moon rabbit but also albinism. We already have an albino villager and no one really noticed it! It has to be subtle, not overt. Some players that are disabled may take offense and complain if its too overt.

I agree with both sides. I don't think a villager with a disability should represent their whole personality. However, I would like to see more diversity in the game. Their is one thing I would like to mention. If a player in real life has a prosthetic arm or leg or uses a wheelchair, there is no option for their character to use it. I think if we want to have more diversity, I think we should start with allowing the player to have more options than the villagers.

That would be interesting, though we wouldn't have exclusive dialogue, since the dialogue is the same, depending on the villager's personality type.

The closest to villagers having disabilities we already have would be Raymond, Walt, Ruby, and Lucky, and any of the other villagers that wear glasses, even if those aren't exactly disabilities.

Back