• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Traditional Forums dying off

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Hot Cocoa
Snowflake Glow Wand
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Orange Candy
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
As we are now in the 2020s, I noticed that many fansites or other traditional forums I previously remembered have shut down, died, or were dying. There are a few exceptions, and this site is one of them.

Here are some questions to answer:
  1. What do you think is responsible for the slow death of traditional forums?
  2. How do you feel about this?
  3. What’s so unique about TBT and how was it able to stay active and relevant?

1. Hands down, modern social media platforms. They have everything + everyone + niche groups/pages, and more. Why go to old forums for anything when it's all way more streamlined on social media? (I don't even enjoy social media anymore btw, I just understand the appeal)

2. This is the only forums website I've ever gotten into, so it doesn't make a huge difference to me personally how other forums do 😅 I just assumed most forums websites would have died 10-15 years ago.

3. I've only been around since 2017 but I get the feeling that TBTF has been able to stick around because it has kept up with updates/maintenance, acquiring new staff, hosting cool events, and evolving the overall look of the forums. And of course, it's connected to Animal Crossing so that niche would bring in lots of people especially during what (i assume) are the two most popular AC games yet (New Leaf and New Horizons). I personally chose TBTF over FB groups/Nookazon/Subreddits/etc because it seemed like a friendly, well-moderated community with the bonus of nice aesthetics and a feedback system, and the forums currency. I don't quite remember how I found TBTF, maybe just by chance in a Google search, but I'm so glad I did!

1. I think it's a combo of three things:

a) Social media. Why sign up to ten forums when you can sign up with one social media and access hundreds of communities within?
b) Money/companies offering freebies. You could post your super-detailed guides to a forum and in time be known as the local forum expert. Alternatively, you could start up your own website and post them there, which will give you additional revenue from the ads. Or you could post in social media, and gradually become known there instead. And hey, you can even tag the companies from there, and in return for your loyal support and massive following that promotes the product they might just send you a gift box of cool exclusive items. They might even do that just for having a large fansite for their brand!
c) Owners wanting to go down a different route in life, but also not wanting to pass on their creation for one reason or another. As we've seen with social media, it's hard trying to start up an alternative when most people now expect results immediately, even when something has just opened.

2. I don't really like it, mainly because social media is more about who can spam more frequently with low effort posts compared to forums which usually contain better discussion. There's also just far too much toxicity and drama on them.

3. I find that people who join forums do so for the moderated aspect, since a lot of social media is bot-focused. There's also a lot of heavy bias towards people with more followers on social media whereas people on forums typically care about the way a person acts more than their post count. I think Animal Crossing being a community focused game helped.
But I think what really helps is the event area - most forums that are still alive all feature events or competitions of some sort to keep members engaged.

1. social media. people go where their friends go, for example if all your friends have instagram you’re likely to have an account there as well. i think people think of forums as outdated (and most of them are)

2. no opinion really, i’m too young to remember a time when forums were more popular.

3. events, forum layout, active trading boards. i don’t mean to throw shade but TBT seems to be a lot more active than ACC mainly because it keeps their users engaged with events also the forum layout is so much easier to look at/navigate.

(basically what everyone else said)

I don’t have any social media. I find forums to be filled with nicer people. I have been happier since leaving every social media platform. I won’t waste my time bashing Facebook, but I wouldn’t care if that site burned in hell. I started using forums back in 2009. The forum I’ve been on longest is ACC, the other Animal Crossing forum. I’ve been on other forums, but they no longer exist. I was sad when the Mario Kart Wii forum got taken down.

I’m glad this forum is still relatively active and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. I love how active it remains despite forums as a whole dying. Forums attract much nicer groups of people.

What I dislike most is how it’s weird for someone not to have social media. It almost makes me want to use it again because I want to be normal and have a means of communication when potential friends ask me for a contact.
Almost.

1. What do you think is responsible for the slow death of traditional forums?
  2. How do you feel about this?
  3. What’s so unique about TBT and how was it able to stay active and relevant?
  1. Without a doubt, hands down, Discord. Other social media, sure, but Discord is by and far taking smaller communities to its platform. Server browsing, tech support being handled on Discord threads and ticket systems, etc. It's also HORRIBLE. I hate having problems with a mod/website and instead of just going to the forums, I have to link my account/join a server just to get some help. Ugh.
  2. I hate it. I love forums, a lot. Neoseeker, Flight Rising, OurWorld (RIP) etc. I love forums. Seeing them become moot compared to other social media really sucks.
  3. The trading system in the games, for sure, but also the events. I don't even play Animal Crossing anymore. Hell, I sold the game. I'm still here daily anyway. The events, the community, the topics. Also, as much as some might disagree, the moderation. Other forums turn to garbage when they start letting trolls leech without any repercussions. I love ****posting as much as the next person but the "edgy" humor stuff other forums tend to cultivate kind of dies fast here, thank god. It's way more welcoming than other forums.

I’m not sure how much I have to add here but this topic is so important to me I have the urge to pop in. The first forum I joined was in 2009 but I was lurking forums since at least 2006 so I have decent experience here.

1. everyone else has said it, social media and especially Discord. Let me tell you that before around 2017-2018 (?) and then again lockdown when Discord had some surges, there were still holdouts. (I’m a 2016 discord user btw, and i definitely remember forums coexisting with it somewhat, the way skype coexisted with forums when that was a thing.) Social media plus Discord were like a one-two punch. There’s a percieved notion that having everything more live like that, or having a feed to consume, or having things consolidated on a single app is more convenient and that it’s obsoleted forums. Every time I’ve complained about this to people who stopped using forums, they just say forums are obsolete compared to Discord, and I realise that’s a biased anecdote but it really shows how much things have changed in how people use the internet. Saying that forums are “obsolete” seems to imply they want these newer, faster-paced, feed based systems with live chat and more shortform content. Also, when I’ve seen younger people talk about it, they generally feel impatient towards forums (“what’s the point in waiting hours for a response”, and so on- but my experience has been that people simply don’t reply a lot of the time on Discord anyway). It’s all about the notion of convinience, imo (which newer generations are now growing up with, which will demand faster and faster consumption). Before discord got as popular as it is you at least had more separation of using social media for “content” and using forums for discussion, even though social media ate into the traffic enormously, but discord has simply taken over the discussion role for many people
edit: actually i also realised the rise of “influencers” adds to this. That’s part of the internet becoming more about “content” and being more corporate in general. you generally can’t get internet famous or make money being a regular guy on forums anymore, people who want attention aren’t going to come to forums, and in general there’s a rise of people who just want attention on the internet in like a post pewdiepie era or whatever. However the whole rise of that stuff could be a completely different post, and the time “influencers” were being codified in the early 10’s is an interesting era of the internet, cool internet history that i dont want to just clump up here. Going “viral“ also used to mean something really different, it’s seriously a nothing word these days but back then it basically meant content posted on the internet that broke through a certain cultural wall and became popular irl, was actually kinda notable- you can see some of the transition between niche hobby early internet into influencer/corporate net with that. The point is, overall nobody goes to forums to get famous, and more people want to be famous on the internet now.

2. Complete disdain. The internet I grew up with is dead. I’ve complained about this a few times on random threads and I don’t want to be writing the exact same stuff but this will never stop eating at me and I realise you weren’t around to see those posts of mine anyway. I find it has made people far more volatile, I am a lot more anxious on other platforms, and they simply aren’t fun. They’re very gated, and they encourage more low quality content since stuff just gets buried and moves so fast anyway. On forums there’s a sense of exploration and more focused, high-quality experience due to thread lists/subforums, and old posts are very easy to find and full of great information. Searching on social media (including discord) is a total nightmare and I think legitimately contributes to brain drain even if you can put up with or avoid falling to the shortform content spam. It’s like they genuinely try to obfuscate content a lot of the time, even their built in searches are all crap. Aside from that, on forums you know the other people there probably have more passion than another random Discord server with 3000 users but the same dozen users forming a clique and being the only active members. I’m not going to say forums don’t have cliques because I have left many over that and I’d go so far as to say one forum clique bullied me off and gave me traumatic experiences, but Discord is even more condusive to it imo. Holy crap I could just go on forever about how much I hate the cliques on discord and how few users are actually active, making the net feel empty and lonely, and just how I generally hate the direction of the web. It used to be a break from real life, and now you get off the internet to have a break by focusing on real life. i know a lot of people say that but its painfully true, there’s just way too much being thrown on you anytime you go on the internet now wether it’s ads or more scams or lowest common denominator shortform posts. You have to sift through more and more to find actual good content every year, it’s legitimately exhausting. The internet always had garbage on it, but at least it used to be a little more personal and fun and less isolating. The internet is too corporate now, and with social media formats that’s just an ungodly awful combination. On the plus side, the fact forums aren’t the largest format for fandoms anymore does come with one upside, it keeps out some of the toxicity you would find on social media since those users generally don’t care to even use forums

3. Val is on point about the moderation. I’m going to be blunt that i think this site, though my time here has been limited, has the best moderation i’ve seen. I like edgy humor sometimes but so many places are just awful with it or moderate based on who’s friends with who. Plus it gets exhausting. I have a pretty bitter, cynical sense of humor but how pervasive it is everywhere really gets to me- it almost feels like nobody is sincere anymore. That and the glut of pure meme posts/responses in other places. There are other casually accepted things about internet culture that downright make me uncomfortable and they dont fly here so i feel safer being here. I don’t want to engage with people in other places. This site legit feels like a break from the rest of the net with how the mods have led it. Also the events are an absolutely massive contributor. Those events go above and beyond. I think a ton of it legit just falls on how the moderators have lead the site and how its left this community. Being here legit made me more optimistic even though ive fallen off rn (hence the hiatus). As a bonus there are also some really talented artists here and i know its not the largest part of the site but it is something thats encouraged me to stay around a bit? People on this site legit care about little art pieces which has personally motivated me a lot (even if right now i dont want to draw or paint whatsoever) and I think honestly helps people care about eachother a bit, like oh you’re the guy who did that thing or whatever is just another thing adding to the community here. The fact this is about ac is also a contributor because its a big series but its not the #1 thing or anything, still these are games with lasting value so yea

P.S. I realise the irony in me talking about younger generations, but i’m the oldest of gen z which is like a mini generation. Gen alpha could also be using this forum by now if they start in 2010 or something, and a ton of them are going to be using the internet if they arguably shouldn’t. I’m mostly talking about gen alpha when i’m talking about younger people who don’t know what the internet used to be like, but a lot of gen z also didn’t have enough exposure to remember it either

Last edited:
A big part of why forums are continuing to decline in popularity is due to accessibility. Put a forum in front of someone born in 2010 and they won't know how to engage with it. They're hard to navigate, use dated terminology, and they don't fit the modern expectation of how a social platform should perform. Some will stick it out and try to get to grips with it, but most will jump ship if they can't understand it quickly. I hate to say it but TBT is not an exception to these accessibility issues. I believe it is why we see the forum average age continuing to climb higher. The forum would need certain changes to be more accessible to a younger audience. If Jeremy sees this and ever wants a chat about this sometime, do let me know.

TBT remains active because of (a) our loyal regulars who help foster a welcoming and warm community environment and (b) because we as a team put in the effort to promote community engagement. This is something I have personally been very invested in on TBT the past four years. We do not let the forum stagnate, even during lower activity times between Animal Crossing releases. We are always actively trying to promote engagement with the site and we do that by hosting events, maintaining and updating the site in response to user feedback, and directly interacting with the community via discussion threads and video games.

What do you think is responsible for the slow death of traditional forums?
  • As mentioned by others, social media and the features it offers, plus the potential for fame and revenue attracts many people
  • Accessibility and recognition (they got you hooked baybee). The convenience of having apps for social media means you just press the icon and it's all there. Granted you can do the same on forums if you leave the tab open on your phone browser. But the social media icons just draw people in. IDK what marketing psychological thing that is but yea
  • Algorithm-based feed everywhere - that thing is designed to have you hooked.
How do you feel about this?
  • Not good. It makes me wary that the internet seemed to have "shrunk". Exploring the web in general sucks most of the time now. Our time online depends on the very few big platforms run by very few people, instead of the many smaller communities in forums before.
What’s so unique about TBT and how was it able to stay active and relevant?
  • I cannot make a proper comment here bc I'm not an active user. But it really is dependent on the activity of both the users and the admins

Back