• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Today I Learned: New Horizons Edition

I learned that Halloween season stokes my decor creativity far more than any time of the year.
Me too! I haven’t started on my outdoor decor yet, but I just made an awesome Halloween-themed party room in my attic, and I love it! I even worked in the haunted Fake Ancient Statue— sometimes the fakes are better!

Been time-traveling a lot lately, so having to deal with roaches, of course. While I was stomping roaches and watching their little ghosts go rising up I hunted and hunted my entire house twice but wasn't getting that message: Yay, all the roaches are gone! (or whatever they say :unsure:).

I finally discovered one trapped in between some furniture in a corner, so I moved a velvet stool and it came out. As I was pushing the stool back into place the roach turned around as if to go back to the corner and got squirshed between the stool and a table! I learned two things! 😯

Been time-traveling a lot lately, so having to deal with roaches, of course. While I was stomping roaches and watching their little ghosts go rising up I hunted and hunted my entire house twice but wasn't getting that message: Yay, all the roaches are gone! (or whatever they say :unsure:).

I finally discovered one trapped in between some furniture in a corner, so I moved a velvet stool and it came out. As I was pushing the stool back into place the roach turned around as if to go back to the corner and got squirshed between the stool and a table! I learned two things! 😯
squirshed :cool:;)

Found out that Wolfgang's name in Japanese is Lobo. I was extremely confused when I saw Lobo on the map when I could have swore that the last villager I invited was Wolfgang. Doesn't help that they both have very similar colors at a glance.

Tank's Japanese name means Ankle and I thought it's just funny to me.

Today I learned that Ribbot's eyes glow in the dark!
1632116509891.png

Okay, so technically I learned this on September 21st but didn't get a chance to post about it until today. Even over a year later I try not to google every little aspect of ACNH in the hopes that I can still find some surprises when I play. Due to my purposely not googling, I didn't know there was a "Giant Water Bug Island". It's not a super huge money maker like the Scorpion/Tarantula or Shark Islands are but If you can sell to Flick it's not a bad bunch of Bells for a few minutes work. You can see below how much I made when I sold 30 Giant Water Bugs & 1 Wasp to Flick...
30_giant_water_bugs_and_1_wasp_by_valzed_derl3qv-pre.jpg

Pocketful of Giant Water Bugs... and 1 Wasp. Ew...

price_for_30_giant_water_bugs_and_1_wasp_by_valzed_derl3qr-pre.jpg

Bring on the Bells, Flick!

giant_water_bug_island_by_valzed_derl3r0-pre.jpg

In case others didn't know about this island I tried to take a shot of the unique waterfall to help with IDing the island.

TIL not to mess with time travel. As if Michael J. Fox didn't teach me enough about messing with time. lol

But seriously, after inadvertently having a small taste of what time traveling has done to affect my experience on the island, I just hope I never make such an awful mistake ever again. Thank god I found a way to fix the problem of backwards time traveling, or I might not have ever played NH again. I've abandoned plenty of video games in the past because of ruined experiences similar to this.

And that's another thing I've learned: resetting your Switch's date and time to the previous Sunday (real time) at 4:59am then booting the game up will soft-reset whatever time traveling you might have performed. Great for accidental time traveling. Or even intention ones if you're into that kind of thing.

Last edited:
TIL that on top of the general island fog that I typically see this time of year, there is also “water fog” (at least that is what Meteonook calls it), when actual mist comes off your rivers and ponds. I must have missed this last year, because I did not notice it until now. Very cool.

I learned that if you visit someone's island and their villager is having their birthday, you can actually give them a wrapped gift and they will give you a gift in return.

I also learned that if you go to someone's island during the Festivale event you can actually catch feathers, get the DIY from Pave, and you can give him all the feathers and you do that enough times you actually get the Festivale Float. I also got the reactions from the Nook shop and you can also trade with the villagers. Idk why I didn't found out about this sooner but after doing it with my 2nd island I was surprised by this.

TIL that on Papi’s sixth birthday, the clown that his parents hired for his birthday party, went into Papi’s house and never came back out again. Apparently, they still hear honking through the walls…

What the actual duck Animal Crossing😯

So I finally got around to doing this. I learned that you can make bug modules by talking to Flick and you have to catch 3 of the same bugs in order for him to make the bug module you want. However, what kinda sucks about it is that you have to wait a day for the bug module to be delivered to your mailbox. The good news is that if you have additional users living on your island you can use them and get another bug module from Flick just by catching 3 of the same bug. I had no idea this was a thing until someone who I was trading with told me all about it.

Today I learned that you can download custom designs without Able Sisters shop being open… after two days of missing the opening hours and finally getting there in time today… doh.

Also a little q and something I may learn today - if minimal is set to display sometimes, when you press up on right joycon to look up, it seems that the minimap may appear slightly quicker than just stopping walking. Does pressing up on right joycon trigger minimap to appear as well as looking up, if that makes sense? Please and thanks!
Post automatically merged:

It might not definitely appear quicker, I may have just looked at it too much lol…

Today i learnt that a sassy ostrich character called Queenie shares the same birthday as me, its as if she was designed off my life, apart from laying eggs😂

Back