Tips for taking care of a bunny??

Gregriii

Glad to be back!
Bells
New Horizons Token
Pikachu Easter Egg
Special Snowflake
So I recently got a little baby rabbit, and I'm kinda lost.
He has accidentally fell of my arms like three times and I'm really scared he wants to jump

Furthermore he is always tickling

So if you have a Rabbit as a pet i would like to hear some advice

rabbits don't like being held if you're standing up, it's not natural for them, apparently some instinct about being caught by prey or something (that might be bull**** though). i only hold my rabbit if i'm taking him somewhere. if i'm gonna have him with me i make sure i'm sitting down so he doesn't feel scared

- - - Post Merge - - -

the more he knows you/likes you, the more he'll be willing to be held but for now u need to gain his trust, lie down on the floor with him and make him know ur a friend

i have a bunny and well as mogyay is completely right, at least my knowledge. my bunny hated being held for a long time, but she was much better when i was sitting down. it's also super scary when they jump out of your arms and if you're sitting down, there's a lot less of a fall.

definitely let him get familiar with you and the area, don't grab him or introduce him to other animals if you have any yet. do as much research as you can, as bunnies are a lot of work and one slip up could be really dangerous for him. make sure you get him lots of toys to chew on, a constant source of timothy hay to eat, and something to dig in as well, even a cardboard box with shredded newspaper is good. here's a really great site on info about caring for bunnies, including what to feed them, litter training, etc. that'll cover almost everything, and hopefully everything goes well! bunnies are really sweet pets as long as you're willing to do the work involved for them.

and also, make sure you bunny proof whatever room he's in. they will chew on everything, so be careful and hide or block any wires that he could get to. good luck :')​

Last edited:
Tip: Don't get animals you haven't researched and don't know how to take care of

Is he going to be a house bunny or an outside one?

If he's a house bunny...like Crash said, he'll chew on anything so never lean him unattended. My mates have a huge pen for their bunny to live in (with his food bowl, water bottle, litter tray and hay inside) and when they are there with him, they let him out to play. Something like this: http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/p...-140-guinea-pig-and-rabbit-cage-(online-only)

You can feed him on commercial rabbit mix and also hay, carrots, chopped up apple and a little lettuce for a treat.

Cardboard boxes are good toys for bunnies, as they can hid inside them to feel safe and chew on them too.

When holding your bunny, if he tickles/scratches a little, sit down on the floor and put a towel or old sweater on your lap and put your bunny on this. This will be comfortable for both of you and if he jumps, he won't fall far.

Don't ever let him chew wool or cotton wool, as it would get stuck in his tummy and an expensive trip to the vets would be in order to save his life.

Enjoy your pet, bunnies are awesome :)

Meet my beautiful baby Quinn.
uwAUMcM.jpg

First off, wtf, don't just get an animal you don't know how to care for, and dropping it is borderline abusive.

Do your best to not hold / pick them up. If you need to hold them to carry them, support them with an arm under them and keep them in place with an arm over them. For the first few days you shouldn't be handling them, just get them a (big) cage/pen and let them chill for awhile. Then try and more steadily introduce yourself to them. Let them come to you.

You can feed him on commercial rabbit mix and also hay, carrots, chopped up apple and a little lettuce for a treat.

Just make sure it's not iceberg lettuce, it's really not great for the, but butter lettuce and other kinds are way better for them!

Also in summer it's good to put an ice water bottle in a sock or two socks and stick it in their home so they have a nice cooler if it's too hot.

As everyone else has been stating it's best to hold your bunny while sitting, or laying down, my favorite thing to do when I had bunnies was to lay down and have them on my tummy or chest and they'd usually just cuddle with me and be happy. Your bunny will probably take a while not to be scared and not try to "escape" when you're holding it, just like any animal it needs time to get used to you.

Also lots of woody chew toys! They LOVE to chew so if you give them something nice to chew on they wont chew the things you don't want them to chew as much. (They'll still chew everything.)

If your bun is indoors only it'd be a good idea to get a little chicken wire pen so you can at least take it outside once in a while for enrichment.

Also like Zakarri said, if you JUST got this bun you should have given it some time to acclimate to it's new home, by leaving it be in it's pen for a few days so it can get used to that, and then slowly start handling it a bit each day.

I just got a bunny last month! Bunnies are prey animals which mean they don't like being held or being held for long periods of time nor do they like sudden movements, let it get used to you first and try not to interact with it too much for the first week or two, let it come to you. I'd recommend going onto the house rabbit societies website www.rabbit.org or binge-watching various YouTube channels such as Rabbits101 or BudgetBunny

i believe in some european countries it's actually illegal to keep a rabbit on its own, they are very social creatures. just something to think about

i believe in some european countries it's actually illegal to keep a rabbit on its own, they are very social creatures. just something to think about

And if you do get multiple animals, make sure they're not opposite genders unless you want a LOT more bunnies... When I was younger we got what we thought was a female bunny, then we found out he was male, so we got what we thought was another male bunny, but it wasn't until more little bunnies showed up we found out the second one was a girl.

This. it's really important to get at least two of them.. you can get two of opposite gender if you neuter them. there is a general thought that neutering rabbits isnt work the anesthetics risk but if you get a clinic with good experience there is nothing to worry about.

Back