• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The Nintendo 64

Zane

today works for me, satan
Bells
Golden Watering Can
Red Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
I have a lot of feelings about this console. Gonna date myself a little more here and say it wasn’t the first one I ever played, but being that I was older during the era of the 64 it was definitely the console that really got me hooked into gaming; Super Mario 64 is the first game I ever stayed up all night playing (the next one would be Animal Crossing on Gamecube, the beginning of a whole new rabbit hole. lol)

Got any favorite games/memories relating to the 64? 👾

I was around during its popularity but we never had one at home. I did have a friend that had one though so I fondly remember playing Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 with her. It's why I love the minigames so much. We did battle as well which was fun but I ddi and still do prefer the minigames! The Eevee and Pichu ones being my top favs. :)

I still think it’s the best video game console when it comes to library. In fact, I even own a Nintendo 64 unit still, despite being dormant for a while.

As for memories, I develop new memories for Nintendo 64 games all the time. That’s because I still play them as of today, despite on newer consoles. What I do miss though is playing them with family or friends.

I had one when I was very young and LOVED playing it. My favorite games for it were the original Mario Party and Super Smash Brothers games.

The N64 was the first console I played/owned, and it remains one of my favourites, if not my absolute favourite. I loved the selection of 3D platformers in its library. Donkey Kong 64, Banjo Kazooie and Tooie, Castlevania 64... There were so many other great games, too. I loved Mario Party and Pokemon Snap, for instance.

I own a Nintendo 64 from my childhood.

- One of the games I remember enjoying the most was Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards. I never actually owned it myself, but would play it at this day-care thing at one of the grocery stores where parents could drop off their kids while they do the grocery shopping. I also rented it from the video store a few times. To this day, it's one of the few Kirby games I've played but I really enjoyed it. Collecting and combining the various power-ups was cool. I grabbed it from the Wii U's eShop before the closure last year so I could play it again.

- I don't remember if it was the original Snowboard Kids or Snowboard Kids 2, but I remember playing that game with my best friend and it was memorable and fun.

- I played Super Mario 64 in the same way as Kirby 64. I never really got far because of the limited time I had with it, but I always enjoyed Cool, Cool Mountain and hanging out with the cute penguins.

- I loved the Mario Party games; I don't really remember much of the original Mario Party, although I'm absolutely certain I did play it a little, but Mario Party 2 is one of my favorite Mario Party game to this day and I also really liked Mario Party 3.

- I have a distinct memory of Mario Tennis because, coincidentally, my grandmother was in the hospital around the same time; thankfully she survived a number of years past that, so it wasn't too serious. The debut of our lord & savior Waluigi, it's a game to be cherished.

- Mario Kart 64 was fun. I'd never played the original SNES version at the time, so this was my first experience with it. Fun, and I especially loved Rainbow Road and its music.

- I also played Diddy Kong Racing a little bit and it was fun, but I don't have as much experience with it as Mario Kart 64.

- I have good memories of playing the original Super Smash Bros. with some friends and also own my own copy. My older sibling was one of the people who actually bought EarthBound in the US even though it was a commercial failure, so we thought it was cool that Ness was in the game. I've been hooked on the Super Smash Bros. series ever since. I also distinctly remember the commercial with the mascots skipping through a field before starting to fight each other, while Happy Together by The Turtles plays in the background, which is where the famous scene of Yoshi wielding a hammer comes from. Great stuff.

- As a fan of the Mortal Kombat series since I was 3, I of course had Mortal Kombat 4 and the N64 port of Mortal Kombat Trilogy. I always enjoyed the PlayStation version of Trilogy more though since it had the male Chameleon as opposed to the female Khameleon from the N64 version; Chameleon would cycle through all the male ninjas' powers while Khameleon would cycle through Kitana, Mileena and Jade's, so Chameleon was cooler and easier to use for me. Mortal Kombat 4 was kind of fun at the time, though it has aged terribly. I also found Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero years later ,as a teen, and got a copy for collection purposes but I kind of sucked at it.

- I loved Pokémon Stadium and Pokémon Stadium 2; not so much for the actual battling, which was neat of course, but for the minigames, the ability to play the Game Boy and Game Boy Color cartridges on the tv, and the ability to trade between games.

- I unfortunately never really played Banjo-Kazooie, but I own and enjoyed Banjo-Tooie. How? I saw a friend playing it when visiting one day and thought it was cool and fun, so got a copy for myself.

- Yoshi's Story was a delight, though I never actually beat it either. That theme song will live forever in my head.

- Dishonorable mention to Hey, You: Pikachu! The darn thing would never understand what I was saying. Waste of money, honestly.

Now in adulthood, I have Paper Mario and Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber to play for the first time since I grabbed them off the Wii U eShop before its closure as well. Looking forward to them!

Overall? Great console.

The N64's awesome! Probably my 2nd favorite console next to the Famicom. 🤩 Here's three games I like, 'cause there's way too many to talk about: GoldenEye 64. Perfect Dark is superior, yeah we get it, but GoldenEye is where men become... mener. I like playing as Boris Grishenko because we're both bad-ass and like spinning pens. 😎 Pilotwings 64 is fun because I like messin' around instead of doing the missions and pretend I'm some WWII pilot or something. 💫🤪👈 And Mario Golf because it's Mario and it's golf. Two things I like! This isn't rocket surgery, people. 😛 I like playing as Maple in that one. 🍁 Plum's cute too, but she looks like she's good at golf. Maple looks rather smug and naive, so I find it endearing and rather see her win. 💛 Oh and I play using a gold colored N64 controller. Can't believe I convinced somebody to trade it for my yellow controller years ago. Pffft! No takesie-backsies! 😁

These are my favorite games from the N64 I played when growing up:

1. Super Mario 64
2. Banjo Kazooie
3. Diddy Kong Racing
4. Donkey Kong 64
5. Goldeneye 007

i had a lot of fun playing on the n64 (it was also not my first nintendo console 💀 )

i remember playing a lot of mario kart, pokemon snap, and legend of zelda majora's mask + oot both of which scared the crap out of me! that moon and the salesman were so scary.... banjo kazooie was also super fun and diddy kong racing was my all time favorite game to just zone out in and fly around the lobby/level select.

do you remember the boxes the games came in?! ugh so many fond and fun memories.

Harvest Moon 64 will always have a place in my heart! ❤️
Harvest Moon 64 was one of the best in the series. I played others before and after it, and it didn't feel like they captured what HM64 offered. I remember coming home from school and hearing the game music because my older sister would sneak into my room to play it lol.

- Dishonorable mention to Hey, You: Pikachu! The darn thing would never understand what I was saying. Waste of money, honestly.

Dishonourable mention 😂 I actually played Hey You Pikachu quite a bit with my brother, until one time we were fishing and hooked an ENORMOUS Seaking. We were both screaming “reel it in reel it in!” and Pikachu flipped around and put the fishing rod away and it said “Pikachu decided to let it go”. And just like that the game was dead to us. Lol

do you remember the boxes the games came in?! ugh so many fond and fun memories.

Yes I loved them and I’m so sad I never saved any! I’ve considered buying some of those reproduction boxes people sell on etsy ‘cause they actually look pretty good.

Harvest Moon 64 was one of the best in the series. I played others before and after it, and it didn't feel like they captured what HM64 offered. I remember coming home from school and hearing the game music because my older sister would sneak into my room to play it lol.

omg older sister who was addicted to Harvest Moon 64 gang represent

omg older sister who was addicted to Harvest Moon 64 gang represent
Haha yeah. I played it first and I don't know what it was, but I somehow introduced her to it. And she was hooked after that. She didn't play a lot of games, but really loved this one. I think I still have the save file she created. Good times and good memories.

yes it’s still my all time favorite in the series, nothing compares. me and my siblings would always play after school as well and fight over who gets to play first. sadly I don’t have my N64 or the game anymore 😔 mom’s just be throwing anything and everything away. wish I knew back then to take things with me when I moved out. luckily i’m able to play it on a emulator with my laptop whenever I wanna to get hit with a wave of nostalgia.

N64 will always be one of my favorite consoles. It's hard to know where to begin when it comes to favorite N64 games, there were so many good ones.

N64 was at its best for multiplayer games. Super Smash Bros, Goldeneye, Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Pokemon Stadium, Mario Kart 64, Star Wars Pod Racer..... the list goes on and on. So many fun memories playing these games with friends. And maybe I'm biased, but I feel like most of these have held their own over the years, still plenty of fun playing them 20+ years later.

There were some single player gems on N64 too. Harvest Moon 64 as a few of you have already mentioned. Blast Corps (which recently came to Switch online!) was a pretty fun, unique game. Mischief Makers was great. While not necessarily my personal favorites, some of the 1st party games are all time greats, like Mario 64, OOT and MM. Kirby Crystal Shards is in my top 1 or 2 Kirby games of all time. Paper Mario is one of my all time favorite Mario games. DK64 was epic. Pokemon Snap was a ton of fun. Just sooooo many amazing games!!

Hey, You: Pikachu! The darn thing would never understand what I was saying. Waste of money, honestly.
Same with me. I have to talk like I'm speaking to an infant for the damn thing to pick up my voice. I'm already somewhat coy sitting in front of my CRT television and helping Pikachu baby sit a bunch of worms in a forest, now you want me to talk in a higher/softer voice to the microphone? 😳 Nah nah nah, we pullin' out GoldenEye and cracking open a cold one. Crikey! 😎🍻🤵

I was too young to experience the N64, and we never had one. I did end up playing some of the larger name titles through the Wii Virtual Console. I played Paper Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask, Mario Party 2, and Mario 64 through the Wii. So I didn't completely miss out on everything c:

Also dating myself here by noting that the N64 was one of my holiday gifts when I was in fifth grade and it changed my LIFE. My most played games were:
- Super Mario 64
- Mario Kart
- StarFox 64
- Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- Pokemon Puzzle League
and I owned several others like Smash, Kirby, Paper Mario, Yoshi Story, etc. It makes me wonder how I had so much time. I was thankful to have friends to play with, also. What a golden era. Just mario kart and pizza parties and summer vibes. 😁

I think it had a great social impact on my life; I was able to connect with people and get excited about trading game secrets. I was also able to play with my young sister and all the kids that I would babysit for... And as clunky as the 3-pronged controller would seem, I still feel like it was built for me to this day. Those controllers could take a beating and survive! And the colors were fabulous!

Ah yes, I loved my classic gray N64 and can still feel the burning sensation against the palm of my hand from rotating the joystick furiously 🥰 it was our after school ritual of huddling around the thicc TV set back in those days, pop in our favorite games such as Yoshi's Story, Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie, Super Mario 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart 64, Mario Party 1 and 2, Glover 64.... We even had South Park, GoldenEye 007 and Killer Instinct. Good times... One of the best experiences of my childhood, playing the N64 all day every day.

We were never able to pick up a copy of Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask for some reason (maybe they were always sold out or unavailable, or just too expensive) but that all changed when GameCube hit the scene. It came bundled with Zelda Collector's Edition. But yeah, N64 is a timeless classic, one of the most important accomplishments in man's history.

I have so many fond memories with the N64. 💜

- Watching my brother play (and yell) at Goldeneye during the wee hours of the night

- Absolutely loving Harvest Moon 64

- A local video store closed down in our area and they sold their stock. My mom came home one day with Paper Mario, Harvest Moon 64, and Mario Party 2. I previously rented these and made stories as I played, so it was such a nice surprise to finally own them!

- Playing Super Mario 64 in a small room in the basement of my parents' best friends' basement with my brother and their two sons. We all experienced the game for the first time together and sunk a lot of hours into it

- Playing Gauntlet Legends local co-op with my brother and our neighbors in our basement. We brought down a bunch of cushions & sleeping bags and had a sleepover gaming jam

- Playing in a Super Smash Bros. tournament as part of my school's gaming club

- Finding my favorite game, Majora's Mask, and playing it endlessly. I loved showing this to other people

These are the first memories that come to mind.

Back