• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The most underrated game you've played?

What is the most underrated game for you guys?
I'd have to say MM, but also Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Those, and Link's Awakening.
Majora's Mask, underrated? Ugh, I think that's one of the most overrated games ever. >_> Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, and I love Zelda, but so many Zelda fans nowadays go around praising it as the best game ever. Sure, it was different, but not as great as everyone makes it seem, in my opinion at least. I think Ocarina of Time is much better, in terms of enjoyment. Majora's Mask is just too frustrating. That might be perfectly fine for some people who enjoy that kind of gameplay, but for most people, Majora's Mask doesn't offer the same kind of universal appeal that other Zelda games do. That's my two cents, anyway.

As for the most underrated game I've played... That's a tough question, actually. Wii Music is one of the first games that comes to mind. The game gets so much hate, but it's really not that bad of a game. It's a great experience and a really awesome idea. If a few things were added or improved (such as the song selection and the ability to download new or even create your own songs), it could have been a huge hit. I'm hoping for a sequel that expands upon the original.

Other games that would make my list would be many Sonic games. Sonic gets a lot of hate these days, but the games aren't really as bad as many people would lead you to believe. Sure, there have been some genuine goof ups in the last decade, but even some of the most criticized Sonic games aren't that bad. I thoroughly enjoyed Shadow the Hedgehog, and I didn't mind the Werehog stages of Sonic Unleashed that much. And Sonic and the Black Knight was awesome. But to each his own, I suppose.

Also worth mentioning are Kirby Air Ride, Metroid: Other M, and the Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, among others.

I completely agree with Luigi's Mansion and Kirby's Air Ride being underrated.

and the Monster Hunter series here in the western part of the world, it's completely underrated here and they're amazing games.

A lot of the games in this thread aren't actually underrated.

I'm going to go with Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword. Got bashed in a lot of reviews for having "difficult controls". I didn't have a single issue with it.

Majora's Mask, underrated? Ugh, I think that's one of the most overrated games ever. >_> Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, and I love Zelda, but so many Zelda fans nowadays go around praising it as the best game ever. Sure, it was different, but not as great as everyone makes it seem, in my opinion at least. I think Ocarina of Time is much better, in terms of enjoyment. Majora's Mask is just too frustrating. That might be perfectly fine for some people who enjoy that kind of gameplay, but for most people, Majora's Mask doesn't offer the same kind of universal appeal that other Zelda games do. That's my two cents, anyway.
i would rather play majora's mask instead of OoT.

and i LOVE the different masks having different abilities. i would not mind having that back one bit. kinda sucked that you couldn't have a dedicated mask slot on your equipment "loadout" or whatnot.. but it was still good.

i loved just swimming around as a zora, when i was a kid. and i adore how much of a story is fleshed out, beyond the main goal. all of the characters are fully fleshed out, it feels, especially through stuff like kaefi and anju's side-mission.

not that OoT didn't do the same thing.. i think it just really stuck better, since the 3 repeating days allowed for a lot more of a focus on the story, while OoT didn't have a set time-period kind of thing. on the flip side, the 3 repeating days hindered some aspects, but i think it was worth the trade. meh.

and i LOVE the different masks having different abilities. i would not mind having that back one bit. kinda sucked that you couldn't have a dedicated mask slot on your equipment "loadout" or whatnot.. but it was still good.

i loved just swimming around as a zora, when i was a kid. and i adore how much of a story is fleshed out, beyond the main goal. all of the characters are fully fleshed out, it feels, especially through stuff like kaefi and anju's side-mission.

not that OoT didn't do the same thing.. i think it just really stuck better, since the 3 repeating days allowed for a lot more of a focus on the story, while OoT didn't have a set time-period kind of thing. on the flip side, the 3 repeating days hindered some aspects, but i think it was worth the trade. meh.

It made the game more of a challenge. While OoT is a great game, it's relatively easy to get 100% in a day whilst Majora's Mask takes several days.

The masks and the story are definitely the highlights of the game, but the 3 day cycle ruined it for me, in my opinion. Plus you pretty much had to guess where to go and what to do next, which is something that some gamers might like, but I absolutely hate. I like some linearity to my games.

It made the game more of a challenge. While OoT is a great game, it's relatively easy to get 100% in a day whilst Majora's Mask takes several days.
There's a difference between being challenge and being just plain frustrating. A game doesn't have to make you wonder around aimlessly trying to figure out where to go next in order to be difficult. Difficulty comes from tougher enemies, trickier puzzles, etc., not from making you lost. That's where it just gets frustrating. At least to me, anyway.

There's a difference between being challenge and being just plain frustrating. A game doesn't have to make you wonder around aimlessly trying to figure out where to go next in order to be difficult. Difficulty comes from tougher enemies, trickier puzzles, etc., not from making you lost. That's where it just gets frustrating. At least to me, anyway.

I don't recall wondering around aimlessly... But to each his own.

i.. don't really know where you're coming from, in terms of "getting lost".

majora's mask was extremely linear, in my opinion. the only tricky part was knowing when to get epona back, but that was hinted by you getting fire arrows.

OoT was way bigger than MM, and i think it had a less linear story, really.. MM just had more fleshed out side-quests that could have taken the focus away from the main goal, easily.
i understand that resetting everything after you've played for 2/3 hours is a HUGE difference.. and can be very off putting, but i absolutely love how nintendo handled it.
i think that they wouldn't have made MM the game it was, if OoT had not been as good as it was, though. i think i recall reading somewhere that they took the aspects that they felt OoT fell short in (namely story), and really ran with it in MM. i like that a lot.

i dunno. both are good games. i think my preference is MM, though. :p

I don't recall wondering around aimlessly... But to each his own.
Well, I do. I had to use a walkthrough in order to make any progress in the game. Then I just got sick of it, and I stopped playing. It's pretty bad when I can't finish a Nintendo game because I got sick of it.

As for the most underrated game I've played... That's a tough question, actually. Wii Music is one of the first games that comes to mind. The game gets so much hate, but it's really not that bad of a game. It's a great experience and a really awesome idea. If a few things were added or improved (such as the song selection and the ability to download new or even create your own songs), it could have been a huge hit. I'm hoping for a sequel that expands upon the original.

Other games that would make my list would be many Sonic games. Sonic gets a lot of hate these days, but the games aren't really as bad as many people would lead you to believe. Sure, there have been some genuine goof ups in the last decade, but even some of the most criticized Sonic games aren't that bad. I thoroughly enjoyed Shadow the Hedgehog, and I didn't mind the Werehog stages of Sonic Unleashed that much. And Sonic and the Black Knight was awesome. But to each his own, I suppose.

Also worth mentioning are Kirby Air Ride, Metroid: Other M, and the Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, among others.

Majora's Mask is an aqcuired taste.

Well, I do. I had to use a walkthrough in order to make any progress in the game. Then I just got sick of it, and I stopped playing. It's pretty bad when I can't finish a Nintendo game because I got sick of it.
it's pretty linear.. swamp > mountain > ocean > canyon > moon..

what part did you get stuck on, exactly? the goron babby?

@ MM, i wouldn't say acquired taste.. just different.

it's pretty linear.. swamp > mountain > ocean > canyon > moon..

what part did you get stuck on, exactly? the goron babby?

@ MM, i wouldn't say acquired taste.. just different.
Most of the game, lol. I just always felt lost, not knowing what to do. And then it would hit the third day... >_>

Most of the game, lol. I just always felt lost, not knowing what to do. And then it would hit the third day... >_>
well.. each section was basically split up into two parts..
pre-temple and during temple. there were quests and stuff you could do post-temple.. but those were mainly for masks/heart containers, some of them needing you to beat the temple boss.. whatever.
if you split each section into one time-slice (reset, then start temple once you've learned the song to unlock the temple) you can fairly easily get through it, even if you go super slow.. (so long as you know the song of double time, to slow the clock)

if you can't.. well.. there's not a whole lot that can help you at that point.. but it is a big hurdle to get over if you're used to taking hours in a dungeon.

it might be worth trying again, if you played it when you were younger.. some of the things may seem a lot easier/better designed than you remember them. there are tricky moments, but nothing a bit of thinking can't solve :3

Last edited:
well.. each section was basically split up into two parts..
pre-temple and during temple. there were quests and stuff you could do post-temple.. but those were mainly for masks/heart containers, some of them needing you to beat the temple boss.. whatever.
if you split each section into one time-slice (reset, then start temple once you've learned the song to unlock the temple) you can fairly easily get through it, even if you go super slow.. (so long as you know the song of double time, to slow the clock)

if you can't.. well.. there's not a whole lot that can help you at that point.. but it is a big hurdle to get over if you're used to taking hours in a dungeon.

it might be worth trying again, if you played it when you were younger.. some of the things may seem a lot easier/better designed than you remember them. there are tricky moments, but nothing a bit of thinking can't solve :3
I played it for the first time last year. And I'm by no means bad at Zelda games, or games in general. It's just not my type of game, I guess.

I played it for the first time last year. And I'm by no means bad at Zelda games, or games in general. It's just not my type of game, I guess.

-TYEFORCE
-#1 ZELDA FAN FOR YEARS
-PLAYED MAJORA'S MASK FOR FIRST TIME LAST YEAR

...how could you? You're the biggest Zelda fan!

-TYEFORCE
-#1 ZELDA FAN FOR YEARS
-PLAYED MAJORA'S MASK FOR FIRST TIME LAST YEAR

...how could you? You're the biggest Zelda fan!
I'm a big Zelda fan, but not the biggest, lol. I wasn't always as in to Zelda as I am today, which is why I never played Majora's Mask until last year. =p

Back