• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The "I learned something new today!" Thread

Yeast is still alive right before it gets baked into bread.
(I am not a baker, I'm scared of the oven.)
We learned about this this year in biology. I was pretty surprised when I learned it. I think there’s even bacteria mating in it. Don’t take my word for that, though.

IMG_2859.jpeg
This is an official YGG button set that exists XD

Yes, this is the same guy that drove a van made of, uh, special stuff in Up in Smoke. I couldn't believe it when I found out it was real.

my mom has had me in the kitchen all day today cause we’re going over to my uncle’s tomorrow so she’s been teaching me a few recipes (peanut mochi, some other dessert i don’t know the name of, fried noodles, stir fry) i’m so tired but it’ll be worth it 😚

I didn’t learn this today, but I heard Gwen Stefani’s song “Rich Girl” way before I heard “If I Were a Rich Man” from Fiddler on the Roof. When I heard the latter, I was like, “This sounds like that Gwen Stefani song!” Lo and behold, it’s a pop remake of the famous musical song.

You know, I never would have thought that Weird Al Yankovic, yes, that Weird Al, would have voiced the main character of a cartoon made by the creators of Phineas and Ferb and revolves around a kid who is the descendant of the founder of Murphy’s Law… but here we are.

Today I learned that the Piebald Moose exists, and already they are everything to me!!

IMG_6805.jpeg

Like look at this goofy guy!! He’s so pretty, and he has such an adorably silly face!! 🥹 Their appearance is due to a genetic mutation called piebaldism, hence their name, which affects pigmentation! Piebald Moose sightings are super rare, and I can only hope that these precious creatures are left alone to live their lives and go about their business in peace!

Such unique, gorgeous creatures they are!

I learned that there was a back door animated alien spin-off attempt for Mr Ed as a potential sitcom. It’s really really weird even for the 60s.

Today I learned how to read a Galileo thermometer. It is 21°C in my office.

20240319-154217.jpg

For the past few weeks I just thought it was a cool ornament. Then today I decided to look up what it was, then once I discovered it was a thermometer dug deeper to figure how to actually read it. 😂
this is so nostalgic to me, my grandma always had one hanging in her house. I kinda want one of my own now hehe

I saw that Laurent de Brunhoff, the creator of Babar, passed away at age 98. (the elephant king book and cartoon series) I loved that series, and still find it adorable…but I thought he died a long time ago. R.I.P.

Finally figured out/learned the application/reasoning behind torque and angular momentum being calculated using the cross-product. Amazing how it makes tons more sense once you are taught what cross-products are and their orthogonal property.

Last edited:
Apparently Redd in ACNL can have multiple genuine art pieces and this is the first time it's happened in my... what, 11 years of playing this game on-and-off

I thought I was going crazy when I identified two of them as Real, I had to look up the guide to make sure 😭

Back