A fruit a day keeps the doctor at bay!

Sgt.Groove

Annona, Rollinia, Asimina, Duguetia. Look em' up!
Bells
White Rose
White Rose
White Rose
White Rose
White Rose
Purple Violet
White Violet
Red Lily
Red Lily
Red Lily
Howdy, I'm slapping this here as a bit of a challenge to myself.

Every day for at least a month I'm gonna post a fruit photo here, one that's hopefully new to most who see it. Just a fun way to share fruits <3

I'd love to see if anyone else knows fruits I don't, or would like to see something from specific areas of the world. I love me a good challenge. I'll try and keep everything I post an edible species to humans.

Today I start with Rollinia! Other names include Biriba and Snotfruit (if you mash it it'll become snot like, but delicious I swear!)

image0-44.jpg

This is my favorite fruit, but my own photos are too large to inject into the site. If there's curiosity I'll upload them and link em' here so they can be viewed :3

Sounds like a fun idea! Do you plan on doing anything on starfruits? I haven’t tried them yet but they look appealing to me

Sounds like a fun idea! Do you plan on doing anything on starfruits? I haven’t tried them yet but they look appealing to me
Carambola? I can post one of its cousins!

Did you know star fruit actually ripen to an orange color and are chocked full of seeds?

They're usually picked green so they ship better and are tangy (oxalic acid causes the tang, also found in spinach!)

Howdy, I'm slapping this here as a bit of a challenge to myself.

Every day for at least a month I'm gonna post a fruit photo here, one that's hopefully new to most who see it. Just a fun way to share fruits <3

I'd love to see if anyone else knows fruits I don't, or would like to see something from specific areas of the world. I love me a good challenge. I'll try and keep everything I post an edible species to humans.

Today I start with Rollinia! Other names include Biriba and Snotfruit (if you mash it it'll become snot like, but delicious I swear!)

View attachment 552943

This is my favorite fruit, but my own photos are too large to inject into the site. If there's curiosity I'll upload them and link em' here so they can be viewed :3
Ooooh, never seen this before! Is it one of the fruits in your signature?

s-l1600 (3).jpg

These are prickly pears which come from the cactus of the same name.They're pretty common here in Arizona.My grandmother had a lot of these growing on her property when I was a kid and my siblings and cousins would occasionally pluck 'em and eat 'em.They are mildly sweet with some tartness and have a lot of small seeds.It's been a while since I've had some but I remember them tasting kind of like a cross between tart strawberries and raspberries.

View attachment 553009
These are prickly pears which come from the cactus of the same name.They're pretty common here in Arizona.My grandmother had a lot of these growing on her property when I was a kid and my siblings and cousins would occasionally pluck 'em and eat 'em.They are mildly sweet with some tartness and have a lot of small seeds.It's been a while since I've had some but I remember them tasting kind of like a cross between tart strawberries and raspberries.
There are tons of different opuntia species! All called "prickly pears" or "tuna" in southern America.

Here's opuntia engelmannii, a native opuntia from texas.

20230831_134505.jpg

They aren't as sweet as other opuntia (the normally consumed one is O. Ficus) but make an amazing dye.

Cecrop9.jpg
IMG_8725_SmallerFile.jpg
1O4A2230_SmallerFile.jpg

Today the ants will help keep the doctor at bay! The Cecropia fruit has developed a symbiotic relationship with Azteca ants and many other species. They help maintain the health of the tree in exchange for a home.

The fruit supposedly has the texture of gummy worms and is very sweet.

Today is one of my favorite specimens, and one I hope to *heavily* invest in due to its unique growth habit and environment.

Annona stenophylla, a plant native to the dry areas of northern Zambia to the Congo. It is resistant to fire and has annual and perennial stalks. If a fire occurs the stalks die back and regrow from a rhizome, which is unique among the annona family (a family already full of diverse and unique variety). This is one of the smallest annona when it comes to growth, taking on a sprawling growth over upright growth (like a tree or shrub).

image0-52.jpg
image0-119.jpg
image0-54.jpg
il_794xN-5.png
annona_stenophylla_wamccl_p1360692_7045_aacc28.png

The fruit is supposedly sweet, although not bountiful when it comes to flesh. It's reported to be good as a juice, with easy flesh and seed separation. Often a favorite snack for kids too, so possibly a sweet treat?

There are a few subspecies with slightly different growth and fruit form. Though I think this is just standard annona variety, as none are true to seed. Them spreading by rhizomes allows dense mats of the same plant.

View attachment 552944

A cousin of starfruit, bilimbi! Typically picked under ripe and used in cooking, these fellas are far more sour than their carambola cousins.

Indeed it is!
i love these!! we call them kamias in the philippines. i used to eat them a lot when i was little right off the trees. i've never seen them yellow though! i always ate them green. i still get cravings for their sourness (my mouth is watering right now thinking about it). they're one of my favorite fruits and i wish they were accessible here :( the last time i had some was when i went home to visit several several years ago

Here's some starfruit while I think of a new one today.

original (1).jpeg
original (3).jpeg
original (2).jpg

Have a lychee too!

original (5).jpg

original (6).jpeg

original (4).jpeg
original (3).jpg

Attachments

• original (2).jpg
    original (2).jpg
    829.9 KB · Views: 5
  • original (3).jpeg
    original (3).jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Have you tried rambutan? Its the hairy version of a lychee, but more creamy and sweet in taste. I love them! I know them from indonesia, but they're very hard to get where I'm from tho.

Edit: Salak or snakeskin fruit is another good one! Or mangosteen

I have an idea; tell me what you know about kumquats and calamansi.

I first heard of kumquats from an in-joke in the forums of a website from my childhood involving them eating signatures. Weird, huh? Let me know if you want me to go into detail about this. As for calamansi, they're this small fruit from the Philippines that tastes sour. I don't eat those but my sis does and she likes to squeeze the juice out into a shot glass and drink from it.

I've eaten rambutans, lychee, longans, and kumquats!

Rambutans I'll buy by the pound and go hog wild, same with lychee. I usually crack rambutan shells with my teeth, it's easier to get at them but you get a weird mouth feel. Chalky almost.

Lychee I squeeze open and devour them. Paper thin shell.

Longans though... I buy multiple bags of huge bunches. I pop them in my mouth back to back until my fingers are like candy. Completely coated in the juices. They have wood like shells and are easy to transport.

I've never had Salak, because the only way to get it here is frozen and uber expensive :/ If I cannot propagate or share the seeds I don't buy it at the high price.

Kumquats are great! You crunch the whole thing, seeds and all. I made candy with them and it was delicious. It was agar rock candy, but I donked up and it never hardened properly, so I just ate this kumquat and red dragonfruit sugar tar... yummy.

I've never heard of Kalamansi, but there's so many citrus cultivars that learning them all would be impossible.
Post automatically merged:

I have an idea; tell me what you know about kumquats and calamansi.

I first heard of kumquats from an in-joke in the forums of a website from my childhood involving them eating signatures. Weird, huh? Let me know if you want me to go into detail about this. As for calamansi, they're this small fruit from the Philippines that tastes sour. I don't eat those but my sis does and she likes to squeeze the juice out into a shot glass and drink from it.
By all means, gimme the deets!

Todays fruit is Jacaratia Mexicana.
A latex filled fruit, which is edible according to my reads. I've never even come close to having the opportunity to eat one, let alone see one.
1650496037643-1.jpg

1650495905757.jpg

1650495873884-1.jpg
1650495936126-1.jpg

Here's another. Annona Muricata. This is the most commonly consumed Annona species. It's especially popular in Mexico, but is well known in Asia and Brazil.

unknown-27.jpeg
unknown-21.jpeg
unknown-32.jpeg

They're normally green as pictured above, and are delicious! There's juice grade fruits and table grade fruits. Juice grade tend to be less firm and oddly shaped.

And, here's a rare cultivar that's yellow!
il_794xN-6.png

Todays fruit is... a few! Gonna post various annona species, starting with A. Squamosa.

unknown-36.jpeg
unknown-30.jpeg
unknown-35.jpeg

These fruits are absolutely delicious! They're in my top 10 and I doubt they'll ever leave that list. They're so soft they fall apart in your hand, they're juicy as all heck, and easy to eat (outside of the poisonous seeds).

But, this is one of two fruit required to make an Atemoya, a hybrid of A. Squamosa X A. Cherimola, and speaking of cherimola...

original (7).jpeg

They're smooth, and rather tasty. They have much more firm and uniform flesh than other annona. Not much about these from me, I think they're a mid annona and only good for hybrids or a bumper crop.

But... take these two fruits and slap them together and you get some cool hybrids!
Here's Atemoya, a firm and pretty fruit. Unfortunately they take on the Cherimolas flavor, light and mid. But, they have a more berry like flavor than Cherimola.

unknown-31.jpeg
unknown-33.jpeg
il_fullxfull.1348741839_qow7.jpg

But here's the best part about Atemoya, they have viable seeds! Annona have the miraculous ability to hybridize with different species in the family (not just the genus) and produce viable (non triploid) seeds. Although triploid plants can occur, the fruits can still be decent and cloned via cuttings.

So... here's two more annona! If you take an Atemoya (A. Squamosa x A. Cherimola) and cross that with A. Reticulata you get something cool! But, here's reticulata first!

IMG_4711-3.jpeg
AnnonaReticulataFernandez2.jpg

This particular variety (top picture) is Tikal, the fruit used to make this special hybrid below. They crossed Tikal x Lisa Atemoya (the pink atemoya) to get this wonderfully unique fruit!

image0-58.jpg
image0-104.jpg

A beautiful specimen, this user is one I absolutely love for making such a unique hybrid. Something I wanna do someday too :>

Jackfruit time!
These are common throughout Asia, a beloved fruit indeed! Their cousin is popular too, but much more stanky, betcha know what it is.

But, it's jackfruit time right now.
There's a couple ways they're eaten.
Under ripe fruits are used for cooking, although they're sweet they lack the funk ripe fruits have. When ripe the fruits are soft, orange, and a lil stinky (kinda like feet). They're also much more sweet ripe.

original (6).jpg
original (7).jpg

Todays fruit is rose apples! The genus Syzgium has quite a few cultivars, the fruits tend to have no seeds (in cultivation) and are crisp and refreshing!

original (8).jpg
original (9).jpeg

Back