• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The "I learned something new today!" Thread

There's no Igor in the book either!

Igor has become a 'type' rather than a character. The first Igor was actually called Fritz and comes from the first (I think it was the first) Bela Legosi Frankenstein movie in the 30's. I believe the name was changed to Igor in later movies (though its basically the same character) and then it became short-hand for "mad scientists assistant" and Igors went on to feature in various non-frankenstein media.

Igor has become a 'type' rather than a character. The first Igor was actually called Fritz and comes from the first (I think it was the first) Bela Legosi Frankenstein movie in the 30's. I believe the name was changed to Igor in later movies (though its basically the same character) and then it became short-hand for "mad scientists assistant" and Igors went on to feature in various non-frankenstein media.
There was an awful adaptation where Daniel Radcliffe played Igor. It was awful and Daniel Radcliffe's acting was as terrible as ever, so I couldn't finish it. But on the bright side, at least Emma Watson wasn't in it.

There’s an episode of The Simpsons called “$pringfield”. What I didn’t know is that it actually has another name, which is “How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Legalized Gambling” (which is a reference to the movie Dr. Strangelove).

Taylor swift wrote the last great American dynasty about a real person, and most of The events mentioned in the song are true!

According to TV Tropes, the trash can Public Works Project in New Leaf has a negative effect on the town rating. That’s just not fair. If you don’t have one, you’ll have to pay just to get rid of trash (granted, it is a small fee), and if Re-Tail is closed, then too bad. I have one in my town, but I have a perfect town, so I don’t think it’s that big of a deal, but still.

If your out of oil for baking, you can replace it with a nut butter. I ran into this snippet while looking at recipes and found it interesting.

"Rich, creamy, and a source of natural oils within themselves, nut butters can be a flavorful substitute for oil in many recipes. Use an equal amount of nut butter to replace the oil in any recipe, measuring by volume."

👀 Thinking about trying it on something sometime just to see what happens. I always have peanut butter on hand.. how bad can brownies go wrong? Lol.

Just learned that there's an official music video to "Denial" by Sevendust. I've been loving this song for almost 25 years now..... how the hell did I never know this?!

The song itself is as great as always, but the video could've been better.

*Removed video because I just remembered that it has a swear word in it, heh.

Last edited:
just now found out that you can only use the user title color change once per purchase
i made it the same color as the background panel to see what would happen:
1708994837164.png

i have made a grave mistake lol
edit: i just found out that you can reverse it by deactivating it! that's a relief

Last edited:
just now found out that you can only use the user title color change once per purchase
i made it the same color as the background panel to see what would happen:
View attachment 538084
i have made a grave mistake lol
edit: i just found out that you can reverse it by deactivating it! that's a relief
I would've kept it. Maybe put a really rude message in there or something 🤭

Today I learned how to deionise water.

I've been working in laboratories for years but had never carried out the process before; it was always bought in already deionised and then decanted into smaller bottles by a lab assistant ready for use. I spotted it on a requisition form today so asked someone and he showed me how to use the deionisation filter (which spurted water everywhere when he tried to fix the cartridge, fun!).

We'll most likely see two major basketball scoring landmarks early in March:
  • LeBron James in the NBA (already the all-time scoring leader) is only 40 points away from becoming the first to hit 40,000 career points, with no signs of his offense slowing down in his 21st season.
  • Caitlin Clark from Iowa University is only 18 points away from being the all-time D1 scoring leader, men's AND women's.
The fact that these landmarks can be accomplished within a day or two from each other is very surprising to me. March is going to have a ton of madness, that's for sure.

I learned how to place air into a bike tire.

This was admittedly something I should have figured out earlier. I've been pedaling around a depleted bike for a while and didn't realize how straining that was on my legs.

White-tailed Deer, Muskrats, and Eastern Cottontails eat the leaves and stems of poison ivy for food. 🌿
Sure when they do it, it's interesting, but when I do it everyone freaks out.

I used to get poison ivy bad, but not so much anymore. Urushiol is the worst. It's the oil in the plant. It has a shelf life of 5 years and if not washed properly can spread or fuse. You should always rinse with cold water for at least a minute or more before applying soap. Soap acts like a binding agent with the oil and makes it harder to get off if you apply it right away.

You mean to tell me you're not a deer, a bunny or a muskrat?! I guess I've learned something new things about poison ivy today, too!
-------
In the vain of the thread, I learned the other day that Canada has 20% of the world's surface freshwater!

Screenshot 2024-03-05 10.39.25 AM.png

I tried donating bells to myself. Apparently I don't exist.

Oh well. I wanted to know what would happen and my curiosity is satisfied.

Buzz Aldrin legally changed his name to Buzz. It started because his older sister pronounced “brother” like “buzzer”. Reminds me of an aunt that we still call by the way my cousin pronounced it when he was a baby! ^^

Yeast is still alive right before it gets baked into bread.
(I am not a baker, I'm scared of the oven.)
Yogurt is flavored by bacteria. It's why one of the ingredients is called active cultures. Also how swiss-cheese gets the air bubbles from gases released from bacteria. Mmm bacteria farts.

Back