• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Smash Bros TBT Gaming Week: Super Smash Bros. Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we have the final results and standings!

https://challonge.com/TBTGamingWeekFeb2020SmashBros/standings

Before we distribute the bells, please let me know if you notice any mistakes. It's always possible when inputting this many scores. Due to the round robin format, this tournament had more matches than any other on TBT.

I was wondering whether my final score was affected by the Nox match? I had figured that was tallied as a loss.

Stargazer was auto-win like for everybody else, and will. only had three matches, so wondered why mine was 5 less than Miharu's.

Edit: Looking through the past few pages, seems Miharu was one of the three who managed to get a match in with will. Makes sense now.

Last edited:
So how did you all like this format compared to a normal elimination bracket? It definitely had its pros and cons.

So how did you all like this format compared to a normal elimination bracket? It definitely had its pros and cons.

Personally, not a huge fan of it. Having to contact so many different people, organizing times to play with so many different people was very stressful, especially if they weren't answering you, and then you lost points for it. At least if it was a normal elimination bracket, those players would have received a win by default and moved on.

However, the round-robin format was pretty straightforward and went smoothly when people were answering you. I just wasn't too much of a fan of this format.

I liked it a lot! but the 5 point penalty (same as winning a match) is pretty big. I think for the number of participants, if there was more time for the tournament, it would've gone perfectly! alternatively, having a cap of people per bracket, and splitting the total number of participants into equal groups that are as big as possible but below that cap, and then reducing prize money, could also work maybe?

I knew I wouldn't win so just wanted to play matches and had fun doing it, so for me I really liked the format! I would barely have gotten to play if I was eliminated outright :p

Another idea: maybe make it so someone has to have done a minimum number of matches for people who haven't played against them to recieve a deduction? So like in the case of someone who only played 3 out of the 20 or so matches, I hardly think it's likely that none of the 17 tried to get in a match with them, so they shouldn't suffer a penalty. But if someone played half or more of the matches, then not playing against them could warrant a deduction. This would remove the possibility of people being penalized for others joining who only want to join to play against friends if that becomes the case.

I like my second idea more I think! a minimum number of matches played for not playing against you to give someone a deduction, and another minimum (smaller number) of matches played for people who've won against you to get the point. edit: E.g. I'm person 2 and beat person 4, but person 4 hasn't played 3+ matches yet so those winnings don't count. I'm person 2 and didn't get to play person 6, but person 6 didn't get to play 5+ matches by the end so i don't suffer a deduction for not playing them (3 and 5 were chosen arbitrarily)

- - - Post Merge - - -

I got like 1 bell for that post what is this algorithm :p

Last edited:

its great when youre rewarding people with something for just playing the matches instead of winning and thats a really big plus but there are still lot of flaws. because people felt more flexible they might have not been bothered to play after getting to a certain ticket threshold which sucks for others and being contacted last minute when it was late at night for me was also a small issue. bigger prizes instead of bells for the winners mightve been more motivating but i think its better to have small prizes, it would be a bigger problem the bigger the prize because theres still gonna be some who battle a bit and then become inactive for the rest of the tourney and people are gonna get tilted at that kind of thing. overall i think either being less punishing when youve put the effort in or doing another format entirely would be more fair.

An interesting format that could've been done is pools + tournament.

You give the tickets to all the players who played all their matches in their pools, and then let the top 2 players advance into the bracket.

Maybe the #1 player goes into winners bracket and the #2 player goes into losers?
Either way, everyone gets to play a lot of games, and there still gets to be a pretty hype tournament that people could watch. Especially since once it gets down to top 4, it could be hosted in a viewable battle arena for anyone interested.

I think a lot of really great players got screwed over because they couldn't get all of their games in, I think if a tournament is hosted like this again, this scenario would make it so that players could A. play everyone in their pool, and B. still have a pretty cool competitive finish.

But... under this system... I don't think I would've won anything so :)

Thanks for hosting this tournament by the way! I think it was really cool. Really enjoy playing things competitively so it was an absolute blast!

An interesting format that could've been done is pools + tournament.

You give the tickets to all the players who played all their matches in their pools, and then let the top 2 players advance into the bracket.

Maybe the #1 player goes into winners bracket and the #2 player goes into losers?
Either way, everyone gets to play a lot of games, and there still gets to be a pretty hype tournament that people could watch. Especially since once it gets down to top 4, it could be hosted in a viewable battle arena for anyone interested.

I think a lot of really great players got screwed over because they couldn't get all of their games in, I think if a tournament is hosted like this again, this scenario would make it so that players could A. play everyone in their pool, and B. still have a pretty cool competitive finish.

But... under this system... I don't think I would've won anything so :)

Thanks for hosting this tournament by the way! I think it was really cool. Really enjoy playing things competitively so it was an absolute blast!

I'm bolding that bit cuz I did get to face you and a few other people who were AMAZING, and this format does kinda remove smash-ability from the rankings a decent bit.

edit: I just checked the rankings and now realize I misunderstood where you were coming from :lemon:

Last edited:
Good casual event. I like the idea of ranking but ya, as someone else said, bigger reward for winning to make it more competitive. Wouldn't mind doing another one of these later on but would much prefer we stick with the double bracket elimination w/ prize pool

Yeah I think this format has it’s downfalls. I like the format because as someone who is good at micro planning, I had no problem getting all of the matches. Kinda takes the weight and spirit of the tournament away. For bigger prizes, I mean I wish we got trophy collectibles because I finally placed in one of these Lololol.

It’s a good change of pace but I think the main tournaments are the way to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back