• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Super Mario's 35th Anniversary Direct - Your thoughts?

DinosaurDumpster

You're watching Disney Channel
Bells
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Famous Mushroom
Black Famous Mushroom
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Yellow Candy
Looks we got a 35th Anniversary Mario Direct today!

What are your thoughts? What are you excited for? Did you predict something that ended up being correct?

I'm personally excited for Splatoon 2's Mushroom vs Starman Splatfest in January, as well as the return of Mario furniture in Animal Crossing! It's also pretty interesting to see Tetris 99 but Mario... never could have guessed that. But, I did predict that Super Mario 3D World would get a port and some sort of thing would come along with it.
edit: I'm not sure how I missed this, but i'm super excited for Sunshine to make a comeback! In some way...
It may be a port but at least we got it's return C:

Last edited:
I might have to get the Super Mario 3D All-stars. The only version of Mario 64 I own is the DS one, so it'd be nice to have it on the big screen again. I've also never played Sunshine or Galaxy.

I LOVE Super Mario 3D World. I don't know if I will bother rebuying for Switch though. It depends on how much content is actually added.

I'm surprised it came early, I figured it'd come during the 2nd week, not this one. (It probably might be possible that a Nintendo direct would come next week, possibly as a 1st party showcase, if that's what Nintendo's new Direct plan is.)

Everything in it was very interesting. Picking up 3D World just for the new added content. (Was hoping Toadette + Daisy were added, but 2 things. Beggars can't be choosers and don't count your chickens before they hatch.)

The only thing I didn't like was the Mario Kart thing, but I guess it had to be that way because if the mainline Mario Kart game was announced in that direct then THAT would get all the attention than the whole direct itself.

The 3-pack is great, since it's been years since I've played any of these games

What baffles me to no end is why Nintendo would have an exclusive way to play some of its most famous games on current gen hardware, and make it a limited-time thing for no apparent reason.

Like sure, the "limited-edition" label means people will be rushing to buy, but it's 3 acclaimed Mario games! I feel like they would be able to see return on this in later years that would at least match the sales they get from a limited-edition rush, if not exceed them. I'm not fond of the decision and I don't see how it makes sense.

I'll be getting the 3D All-Stars day one! Can't wait to play 64 and Sunshine again. Never owned Galaxy (or a Wii for that matter) so I'm really looking forward to playing through that one as well.

And that Game & Watch. Man, did that thing bring back memories. Might have to get that one too.

I honestly had no idea this was happening today and I am shocked the rumors for a lot of these were right. Super happy about the announcements, but fearful of my wallet since I know they like to full price this stuff. I am definitely looking forward to that 3-pack especially since it's only a couple weeks away! I'm kind of confused why they would make 35-player Mario battle mode temporary. At least, that's what it sounded like. I think that would be really cool to be as a permanent addition even if they didn't add anything else onto it. I am also really happy about Super Mario 3D World since I played the heck out of it on the Wii U! The DLC preview looked amazing! Overall, this direct gets a 10/10 from me!

Just preordered 3D All-Stars, I'm so excited for it!! I think I'll end up getting 3D World too but since it comes out Feb of next year I'm not in too much of a rush to preorder. But WOW can't wait for that Delfino Plaza music

IM SO EXCITED YALL DON'T EVEN KNOOOOOOOO
I'M ACTUALLY GONNA GET TO PLAY SUNSHINE AFTER ALL THESE YEARS 🙏

I'm super happy that they're porting 3D World onto the Switch, I have it on the Wii U but it hasn't worked right in years and I really miss playing it.

I was pleasantly surprised the direct came up today! I totally didn't expect the added content of Super Mario 3D World with Bowser's Fury, but we have to wait to see what it's like. I could get it if I wanted to but I already have a copy on the Wii U and I'm not sure if it's worth getting another one for the extra stuff.

The one thing I do not like at all is the limited physical copies of Super Mario 3D All-Stars. May I know the reasoning behind this decision other than the fact that scalpers are going to ruin things for everyone? I have actually never played these 3D Mario games before, so it sucks having to buy them in a short time window or face having to find other methods of playing them... I don't wanna live in fear pirating games.

I'm really excited for the 3-game pack of 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy. I plan on buying the physical copy and playing them through completely one at a time. I never got to play Galaxy so I'm excited to try it out for the first time!

The 3-pack is great, since it's been years since I've played any of these games

What baffles me to no end is why Nintendo would have an exclusive way to play some of its most famous games on current gen hardware, and make it a limited-time thing for no apparent reason.

Like sure, the "limited-edition" label means people will be rushing to buy, but it's 3 acclaimed Mario games! I feel like they would be able to see return on this in later years that would at least match the sales they get from a limited-edition rush, if not exceed them. I'm not fond of the decision and I don't see how it makes sense.

Well, as someone who REALLY prefers physical copies of games - this is going to potentially be a pain in the neck to get. Video game collecting has gotten to be a big market, enough so that people try to speculate on it, meaning try to buy and hope to resell for some nice profit. Those speculators make things harder to get. They were a large reason I couldn't get the NES Classic during the first print. I'm glad they printed it a second time.

I think I need to decide if I want it soon and will have to pre-order. :/

I freaked out of joy when I saw the announcement, it's been years since I played any of those three games! Finally, a new chance to replay Sunshine without to buy extra a GameCube again, this made my day. I'm 100% getting 3D All-Stars as well as 3D World once it's out, I always wanted to play it, but since I never brought a Wii U, I had to pass on it. So excited!

Only thing that bothers me however is the limit time to get the physical copy of the game, kinda a dumb decision here imo. I hope I have the chance to get the physical copy of it in time.

Really excited for the 3D All Stars since I never got to play Galaxy and I love Sunshine!!!

also HYPED for that splatfest!!! I hope they have a Mario themed shifty station for it🤩

3D All Stars looks fantastic! I’m looking forward to revisiting three childhood defining games. It’s also nice to see people have the opportunity to try some of these games for the first time.

more ports letsa goo to the bank

honestly im just glad they didn't list them individually for $40-$60 because that seriously seems like something they coulda done

Something I was thinking about on a re-watch of this Direct (watched again with husband when he woke up) is that they really emphasize the time-limitedness of 3D All-stars. Obviously we know they're going to do a limited print run of the physical game. But I'm wondering if the digital game is only going to be available to buy until March as well.

If they do, that will be really stupid. I feel like 3D All-stars is something that will continue to sell for years - basically as long as the Switch eShop service stays up and available.

SUPER EXCITED THAT SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD WAS CONFIRMED. i was rly excited to play that with my partners and revive cat peach > v < hopefully the multiplayer gameplay isn't made more complicated though, i'm a little worried because it wasn't shown in the video. also excited bc I haven't gotten to play super mario sunshine or galaxy (i hated the Wii so much so I didn't play even though my ex had it) so i'm excited to pick those up as well.

Also had no idea this was happening today! I mentioned wanting to play Super Mario Sunshine recently (my favorite of the three) so I'm looking forward to that in two weeks. Thankfully I was still able preorder two physical copies despite being super late to the party. 😅 I always used to watch my brother play Super Mario 64 and feel he'd enjoy a trip down memory lane too.

Super Mario Bros. 35 reminds me of Tetris 99 - chaotic fun. Nothing I'd spend a lot of time with though.

Back