Super Mario Maker Course Sharing & Feedback Thread

I should really start playing some of the levels that everyone has posted here. I definitely will have a lot of free time tomorrow so I can try out many levels.

In the meantime, I have just finished creating my 2nd level:

Underwater Fire Bowling
(FE15-0000-009D-FD2C)

This level is basically self explanatory on what to expect. I strived more for creativity rather than difficulty on this one. I only unlocked items up to the underwater set, but I did do the best I could. I may make a 2nd version of this stage if many people want me to.

New level yay
WVW69ieGiMkmB8cyRa

The Wind Waker: Ganon's Tower
ID: 3E88-0000-009E-3AA4

I feel like the first part was really good but then it get worse as I ran out of ideas to make the level.

How do you make warp pipes work so they can warp you to different parts of the stage or to a new environment completely?

How do you make warp pipes work so they can warp you to different parts of the stage or to a new environment completely?

It's the last thing you unlock, but once you have it, just drag Mario onto the pipe. I heard that there's a limit of 10 connections per stage (so 20 pipes).

The ability to warp to subworld with pipes is unlocked pretty late. Once unlocked, drag Mario to any of the pipes and place the pipe anywhere in the subworld/overworld. There is a limit of ten warp pipe connections per level. Warp pipes are best used to transition between overworld and subworld, but they can be also used if you don't want to use doors.

I've also played all of your levels available, and here's my thought on each level.

The first level is of course meant to be a tutorial level, but this one definitely have some improvements to do even if you don't have all of the necessary tools right away. For a tutorial level, the clear rate is ironically pretty low, sitting at about 25% when I last checked. Why that low? There's a few level design issues that you might haven't seen yet came into the play.

First up, there is zero powerup in this level, therefore players have to clear the level without being hit even once or else they get sent at the very beginning of the level every time they die. This is especially true when your levels are long and Super Mario Maker lacks checkpoint, as the further the player dies, the more aggravated they will become. Since a lot of people don't have much patience, they would easily quit the level. It would be nice to add at least a Super Mushroom near to the starting point and also after a tricky segment of a level to encourage them to go on further, because it grants Mario the ability to take one more hit before shrinking back to its weakest form. And that definitely reassures players seeking for more room for errors.

Second, some parts of the level asks you to perform certain moves, but the level design doesn't prevent players from not heeding your advice and let them proceed in ways you wouldn't expect. For example, the running portion can be beaten by walking instead of running. You could at least leave a small hole for every 2 squares of ground (without them being bottomless) and you'd already have a level design that encourages players to run that section, although a super-fast conveyor belt with super-low ceiling would do a much better job on teaching that particular move's usefulness.
It's also worth noting that the run and jump segment can be beaten by just walking and jumping, because walking at full speed still gives the same jump momentum as running in full speed. The difference between walking jump and running jump is that the latter lets you traverse a significantly longer gap than the former.

Third, Spin Jump isn't what I would call a basic move. In fact, it's an advanced technique available on both Super Mario World and New Super Mario Bros. U style that not a lot of people actually knew its existence, save for a few later levels. The move is tricky in its nature and the games that featured this move didn't emphasized it often enough for it to be second nature for most players. It can take a longer while for them to master the intricacies of spin jumping. Therefore, I suspect a lot of players died between the tight Spin Jump section by accidentally hitting a Goomba afterwards and the stair of Piranha Plants near the Goal Pole. Speaking of the staircase, there isn't enough leeway to avoid inadvertently hitting one of them and requires the player to perform very precise spin jumps. That is already a pretty hard section, let alone without a powerup for an otherwise easy level. And that is coming from someone who is very familiar with spin jump.

The second level isn't really memorable for me. Just like your first level, it has the same problem of players not heeding the directives you want them to follow, since players could skip the entire mini-game with the Cheep Cheeps giving them a wide opening, thereby ruining the whole point of the stage. Thanks for letting me know that bowling is all about hitting Cheep Cheeps one-by-one with fireballs and guarantees the players a full strike every single time! Also, the stage suffers from some repetitiveness as the same exact bowling segment occurs four more times. The only good thing about this stage is that it isn't even challenging at all, which should be a fine stage for those playing 100 Mario Challenge on Easy.

So yeah, it's nice to be creative and all, but you'd have to make sure that your ideas will stick pretty well whenever you want to. And most importantly, make sure it's enjoyable for many players who would stumble in your levels. Since you were hankering for more course elements, have you tried spamming tonnes of blocks every time the game says more of them would arrive at certain date? It'll make them happen like right now.

Last edited:
The ability to warp to subworld with pipes is unlocked pretty late. Once unlocked, drag Mario to any of the pipes and place the pipe anywhere in the subworld/overworld. There is a limit of ten warp pipe connections per level. Warp pipes are best used to transition between overworld and subworld, but they can be also used if you don't want to use doors.

I've also played all of your levels available, and here's my thought on each level.

The first level is of course meant to be a tutorial level, but this one definitely have some improvements to do even if you don't have all of the necessary tools right away. For a tutorial level, the clear rate is ironically pretty low, sitting at about 25% when I last checked. Why that low? There's a few level design issues that you might haven't seen yet came into the play.

First up, there is zero powerup in this level, therefore players have to clear the level without being hit even once or else they get sent at the very beginning of the level every time they die. This is especially true when your levels are long and Super Mario Maker lacks checkpoint, as the further the player dies, the more aggravated they will become. Since a lot of people don't have much patience, they would easily quit the level. It would be nice to add at least a Super Mushroom near to the starting point and also after a tricky segment of a level to encourage them to go on further, because it grants Mario the ability to take one more hit before shrinking back to its weakest form. And that definitely reassures players seeking for more room for errors.

Second, some parts of the level asks you to perform certain moves, but the level design doesn't prevent players from not heeding your advice and let them proceed in ways you wouldn't expect. For example, the running portion can be beaten by walking instead of running. You could at least leave a small hole for every 2 squares of ground (without them being bottomless) and you'd already have a level design that encourages players to run that section, although a super-fast conveyor belt with super-low ceiling would do a much better job on teaching that particular move's usefulness.
It's also worth noting that the run and jump segment can be beaten by just walking and jumping, because walking at full speed still gives the same jump momentum as running in full speed. The difference between walking jump and running jump is that the latter lets you traverse a significantly longer gap than the former.

Third, Spin Jump isn't what I would call a basic move. In fact, it's an advanced technique available on both Super Mario World and New Super Mario Bros. U style that not a lot of people actually knew its existence, save for a few later levels. The move is tricky in its nature and the games that featured this move didn't emphasized it often enough for it to be second nature for most players. It can take a longer while for them to master the intricacies of spin jumping. Therefore, I suspect a lot of players died between the tight Spin Jump section by accidentally hitting a Goomba afterwards and the stair of Piranha Plants near the Goal Pole. Speaking of the staircase, there isn't enough leeway to avoid inadvertently hitting one of them and requires the player to perform very precise spin jumps. That is already a pretty hard section, let alone without a powerup for an otherwise easy level. And that is coming from someone who is very familiar with spin jump.

The second level isn't really memorable for me. Just like your first level, it has the same problem of players not heeding the directives you want them to follow, since players could skip the entire mini-game with the Cheep Cheeps giving them a wide opening, thereby ruining the whole point of the stage. Thanks for letting me know that bowling is all about hitting Cheep Cheeps one-by-one with fireballs and guarantees the players a full strike every single time! Also, the stage suffers from some repetitiveness as the same exact bowling segment occurs four more times. The only good thing about this stage is that it isn't even challenging at all, which should be a fine stage for those playing 100 Mario Challenge on Easy.

So yeah, it's nice to be creative and all, but you'd have to make sure that your ideas will stick pretty well whenever you want to. And most importantly, make sure it's enjoyable for many players who would stumble in your levels. Since you were hankering for more course elements, have you tried spamming tonnes of blocks every time the game says more of them would arrive at certain date? It'll make them happen like right now.

Thanks to both you and PuffleKirby for clearing that up for me. I don't understand why that feature has to be unlocked so late, but I should be able to do that soon.

Yeah, I didn't really think about that at the time. As a new player in the game I really wanted to make a level and submit it. I didn't really think about my designing until I saw that the clear rate was at 19% for my basic level. It was only then when I thought my basic level isn't really that basic like I intended it to be.

I am aware that there are no powerups. Since most of the opposition was just Goombas, I didn't really think a powerup was needed. The level was only very long because I tried to teach as many moves as possible within the max distance a level can be. While I thought of putting a Super Mushroom at the beginning, I couldn't think of a way to get the Super Mushroom without jumping and hitting a block when I was teaching about movement. I could've put one in the jump setting, but a random mushroom block in the middle of nowhere would look weird. I know what to do now, so I'll just use it when I create a revised version of the level.

During one of my test runs, I knew this could've been exploited by simply walking and jumping. I just couldn't think of way to fix it and I just ignored it and hoped people wouldn't figure that out. (bad idea) Your suggestions would work well in my revision. I can't use a conveyor belt yet, so that leaves me one other option obviously.

I've learned about the spin jump and it's uses right away. Sure, it wasn't given much explanation, but it can be easily figured out with trial and error in both Super Mario World and New Super Mario Bros U. Ironically, half of the deaths were where the first few Goombas were. The other half is where you just said.... I'll admit that even I died at the staircase of Piranha plants once before I was able to submit my stage. I was mostly trying to show how useful the spin jump is. I think I went too overboard with it so that is just bad designing on my part. I'll just take off the Spin jump section completely then if it isn't really as basic as you say. I should add in a different move though otherwise my stage would just be too short.

As for my 2nd level, I once again knew of the exploit of not having to follow directions. In my defense though, I lacked the resources to fix the problem. If I had doors that appear after beating all the enemies, then my problem with that could easily be fixed. I thought about using koopa shells instead, but I thought the shells can pose as a problem if you don't hit them all and that using more than one shell would NOT actually be a strike. Also, it can't really be fire bowling without the use of a fire flower, right? I also wanted to use different enemies, but the lines would not be straight with any other enemy besides the Cheep Cheep, so that is why it was all the same. This level was never meant to be challenging anyways. I was only trying to show off a unique and creative idea. Since only one enemy will work, I can't really fix the level up to much to make it look better either. Perhaps this was just one of those ideas that is impossible to do to begin with. (at least by me anyway)

I actually did complete a 3rd level that is impossible to exploit in any way. I don't remember the code though. If you want to try it early you can find it by checking my uploaded levels since you already played at least one level by me.

New level yay
WVW69ieGiMkmB8cyRa

The Wind Waker: Ganon's Tower
ID: 3E88-0000-009E-3AA4

I feel like the first part was really good but then it get worse as I ran out of ideas to make the level.

Ima try out all your levels if i get the time for it today! And why are all those miiverse screenshots so blurry? I don't get it. I mean it makes no sense, if i would post a regular screenshot it has a far better resolution than those crappy thumbnail things.

After reading this, I'm scared to see what people will think of my levels.

I try to make my levels harder (and sort of like troll levels?) and they tend to have a lower clear rate, but I don't know if it's because I'm actually good at that or the people playing my levels are just noobs. And someone could criticize my levels for being too hard or pointless.

@AkatsukiYoshi & @Magic Marshmallow: I would give this section of a popular GameFAQs FAQ a read if you need some more insights on how to design a good level. I mostly relied on these words of advice when I attempt making stages that would interest a good amount of players.

After reading this, I'm scared to see what people will think of my levels.

I try to make my levels harder (and sort of like troll levels?) and they tend to have a lower clear rate, but I don't know if it's because I'm actually good at that or the people playing my levels are just noobs. And someone could criticize my levels for being too hard or pointless.

I have tried your ghost house level and I have found it to be a troll level as well as confusing. A lot of my deaths were due to either troll doors, unexpected thwomps, and the fact that I was lost in the section I needed the Lakitu cloud because the maze was confusing. Even after going straight through it looked like I was no where close to finding the exit. I basically gave up at that point.

@AkatsukiYoshi & @Magic Marshmallow: I would give this section of a popular GameFAQs FAQ a read if you need some more insights on how to design a good level. I mostly relied on these words of advice when I attempt making stages that would interest a good amount of players.

Are my stages good according to these rules? I never used these but people are still amazed by my levels.

Last edited:
I have tried your ghost house level and I have found it to be a troll level as well as confusing. A lot of my deaths were due to either troll doors, unexpected thwomps, and the fact that I was lost in the section I needed the Lakitu cloud because the maze was confusing. Even after going straight through it looked like I was no where close to finding the exit. I basically gave up at that point.

Sounds like this stage is heavily relying on memorization/luck rather than being skill-based, which in turns usually waste more time than the players should. Perhaps the designer remembered exactly where to go and consistently beat it without much effort, yet players who landed the stage for the first few times won't have familiarized the stage beforehand unless they download that level and start editing to see where the problems are.

Are my stages good according to these rules? I never used these but people are still amazed by my levels.

Keep in mind that those are simply guidelines on what makes your stage enjoyable, whether you wanted them or not. If my playthrough of Bowser Jr.'s Private Pool is any indication, then I'm fairly sure you've nailed at least some of these guidelines effortlessly.

Maybe it could be you were initially very lucky to get that many players to try your stages and loved them, perhaps being attributed to them being usually easy enough yet satisfying enough for a lot of players to stumble in your levels. It might be you playing a lot of people's levels and starring them.

Right from the get-go, throwing item upwards only work with Super Mario World style. This is done by holding Up and then let go the Y button. Though, there is a workaround for both New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3 style. Throw or drop the object at a trampoline or note block, but it won't be at the same high height as Super Mario World does.

I already knew it was possible with SMW which is why I asked.

list of reasons why NSMB is garbage

I just made a level that is kinda sad

Bowser's Torture Chamber
COURSE ID: 9FB5-0000-00A8-D146

By the looks of things, there's some fierce Mario players here.. just what I've been looking for. I've got a lot of levels, some of which I think are easy but result in people not completing them so let's see what you guys think. Here's a few of my levels I have uploaded.

Pipe Dream
First level ever made.
wuzSCqp.jpg

Course ID: 0B15-0000-0018-7664

Jellyfish Lake
Inspired by World 7-4 of SMB3
mKvUmAy.jpg

Course ID: E036-0000-0026-1924

A Big Finish
Got to finish the level off in a big way.
3l1drBu.jpg

Course ID: 3424-0000-003D-6563

"Another" Castle
The Princess should be here..
CkWJ0Gu.jpg

Course ID: 7D30-0000-003E-28D4

Take a Ride on Buzzy Beetle
Not all enemies are bad.
505zj1r.jpg

Course ID: E13D-0000-007A-FD6D

Koopa Keep
Bowser has his own castle but wants more.
tF0QlsT.jpg

Course ID: 6C3D-0000-0096-6846

Boss Chomp's Castle
Second upload of this course. Original was too challenging for many.
jjKPOco.jpg

Course ID: 58F3-0000-00A9-097C

Some of you may have already played my latest stages, but here are the codes to those who haven't tried them yet:

Smash 64- Race to the finish!
E4D7-0000-00A8-24BD

Those who have played Smash 64 should already know what to expect. I tried my best to closely replicate that bonus stage.

Mario 101- The Basics: Revised

The feedback from TheBigJC7777777 made me realize that my original version of this stage was way too hard and that some of my directions did not have to be followed. This version has fixed those flaws and I made my tutorial level more beginner friendly like a tutorial level is supposed to be.

Here comes a sneak peek of one of the levels I'm making while still trying to figure out on how should I create a level that twists the tropes around Mario and/or co.

WVW69ie_xs4GbZGk5_

Who said that platforms aren't quintessential to the platforming genre? This one focuses on those things while staying accessible for the less experienced Mario players out there. The stage is beatable, but I'll need to do some adjustments to make this one more enjoyable.

Sounds like this stage is heavily relying on memorization/luck rather than being skill-based, which in turns usually waste more time than the players should. Perhaps the designer remembered exactly where to go and consistently beat it without much effort, yet players who landed the stage for the first few times won't have familiarized the stage beforehand unless they download that level and start editing to see where the problems are.

Keep in mind that those are simply guidelines on what makes your stage enjoyable, whether you wanted them or not. If my playthrough of Bowser Jr.'s Private Pool is any indication, then I'm fairly sure you've nailed at least some of these guidelines effortlessly.

Maybe it could be you were initially very lucky to get that many players to try your stages and loved them, perhaps being attributed to them being usually easy enough yet satisfying enough for a lot of players to stumble in your levels. It might be you playing a lot of people's levels and starring them.

Noooo i never star levels besides the levels from friends. If i star a level, it must be REALLY impressive.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Here comes a sneak peek of one of the levels I'm making while still trying to figure out on how should I create a level that twists the tropes around Mario and/or co.

WVW69ie_xs4GbZGk5_

Who said that platforms aren't quintessential to the platforming genre? This one focuses on those things while staying accessible for the less experienced Mario players out there. The stage is beatable, but I'll need to do some adjustments to make this one more enjoyable.

It looks fun though

Last edited:
I just finished my first very hard level. Would anyone like to give it a try?

A 1-way ticket to pain!
847F-0000-00BO-6144

Back