• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! We'll announce the winners for our Master Ball raffle and distribute your hard-earned arcade tokens soon.

Super Mario Maker Course Sharing & Feedback Thread

This thread needs to be bumped. I'm still trying to get more stars on my levels. One of my levels have 20 at highest, and I'm currently 45 stars away from my next medal (which then raises my upload limit to 30).

I've noticed that a lot of people never heard of spin jumping mechanic on both Super Mario World and New Super Mario Bros. U mode, since my latest level has a clear rate under 5%. I mean, once they understand this mechanic, they shouldn't find this one unfair.

I was actually going to get this game tomorrow. I'll help you get stars when I figure out how to do that in the game.

Not long after my first MarioVania stage has been published and gathered quite a decent amount of stars, some may say it's a bit too cryptic. Other managed to find a game-breaking exploit due of said elements being placed too close to each other.

Here comes the sequel, this time more streamlined and less backtracking than my previous one. There's six different routes to take in this level, A decent player should be able to pick one or two routes in a single playthrough.

MarioVania II - Ghastly Ship

WVW69ic9rDMEg3fPxy

The sequel to exploration-oriented MarioVania - Jumpan's Ascension has finally arrived! Be on the lookout for a Super Leaf and a huge High Heels, or even just a P-Switch to reach on the exit. Can you find your way and get out of the haunted airship?

1C6D-0000-008D-A6CA

Not long after my first MarioVania stage has been published and gathered quite a decent amount of stars, some may say it's a bit too cryptic. Other managed to find a game-breaking exploit due of said elements being placed too close to each other.

Here comes the sequel, this time more streamlined and less backtracking than my previous one. There's six different routes to take in this level, A decent player should be able to pick one or two routes in a single playthrough.

MarioVania II - Ghastly Ship

WVW69ic9rDMEg3fPxy

The sequel to exploration-oriented MarioVania - Jumpan's Ascension has finally arrived! Be on the lookout for a Super Leaf and a huge High Heels, or even just a P-Switch to reach on the exit. Can you find your way and get out of the haunted airship?

1C6D-0000-008D-A6CA

I really should try one of your courses so i can add you to my favorites but always when i am on this thread i am not home or i am not playing Super Mario Maker. Did you actually try my courses btw?

Last edited:
I dunno how you all get those pics but here is the code of my animal crossing themed level ;)

9A21-0000-007C-FAC7

I really should try one of your courses so i can add you to my favorites but i always when i am on this thread i am not home or i am not playing Super Mario Maker. Did you actually try my courses btw?

I got to try Bowser's Private Pool without ever taking a damage, as I thought I'd be in for some hilarious shenanigans and needless to say, it's a pretty fun level that Nintendo would easily leave it on a official Super Mario Bros. game. While being surprised at a rather low clear rate (around 17%) for a simple enough and straightforward stage, I do have a few concerns about its level design, specifically for the less experienced players.
- The first powerup is a bit too far from the beginning, leaving people wondering where the heck they are long until they hit the underwater portion. Although I did found at least one invisible block early on, a lot of players might won't look for that potential invisible block spot.

- That huge winged Bowser Jr. fight might be where a lot of players fails if they aren't Fire Mario, in which the latter makes this one easy. Most players who never seen that form might be caught by surprise that he also throws hammers, something that a lot of players have trouble to dodge should Mario be too close between wall and Bowser Jr. I'm aware that a standard version of him is incredibly easy to beat

I figured out that "Those Twisted Plants EVERYWHERE!" stage has a few problems that I could've ironed them out in order to make this one even more accessible. Keep in mind that I sent this one to Super Beard Bros. (Jirard from The Completionist and Alex), so the challenge might be too much for those who thought that spin jumping is a pretty foreign concept.
This stage assumes that the player already know how to run, jump, spin jump and dealing with the SMW Piranha Plant's unique behavior early on, yet it shouldn't be too difficult for any Mario veteran that takes time and knows most of the aforementioned mechanics.
I'm planning to release a stage that fixes the rougher parts of "Those Twisted Plants EVERYWHERE!" level. While it still requires spin-jumping, that one will features a more reasonable difficulty curve from start to finish.
For example, an intuitive tutorial on how spin jump works on a Piranha Plant, adding more Super Mushrooms in place where players seems to struggle the most, replacing most small Piranha Plants by a few larger ones (easier to spin jump on). I wonder where else could I improve on to make it more enjoyable to a broader audience.

Sorry i must have typed my code wrong, i will check after i am done with my 100 mario challenge :p

- - - Post Merge - - -

It should work now!

The Journey Begins!

4EBB-0000-0014-65D4

I want to apologize to Lars. Why apologize ? Because I made my list of top 12 Super Mario Maker levels I have played BEFORE playing his levels. Lars has a great attention to details. I have played half a dozen stages from his extensive library up to now and they are aesthetically pleasing and fun to play.

Lars' stages have this distinction when creating stages : they are all targeted for easy to medium difficulty. He is pretty consistent in this fashion, yet his stages show a real progression in his mastering of the tools available in Super Mario Maker. Maybe Bowsjer Jr. pool party stage may be a bit more difficult than the rest, but it is not impossible to get through.

Also, I want to point out that he has killer underwater sections or stages like Getting to Bowser's stage (paraphrasing the name of the level). I'm now folowing you mate. And I left a couple of messages on Miiverse in both Dutch and French. Tot ziens, mijn vriend !

I got to try Bowser's Private Pool without ever taking a damage, as I thought I'd be in for some hilarious shenanigans and needless to say, it's a pretty fun level that Nintendo would easily leave it on a official Super Mario Bros. game. While being surprised at a rather low clear rate (around 17%) for a simple enough and straightforward stage, I do have a few concerns about its level design, specifically for the less experienced players.
- The first powerup is a bit too far from the beginning, leaving people wondering where the heck they are long until they hit the underwater portion. Although I did found at least one invisible block early on, a lot of players might won't look for that potential invisible block spot.

- That huge winged Bowser Jr. fight might be where a lot of players fails if they aren't Fire Mario, in which the latter makes this one easy. Most players who never seen that form might be caught by surprise that he also throws hammers, something that a lot of players have trouble to dodge should Mario be too close between wall and Bowser Jr. I'm aware that a standard version of him is incredibly easy to beat

OHH you were the one who replied to my level! Thanks for trying it out and yes i know those problems, this one was specifically designed to be a bit more challenging since the rest of my levels aren't that hard :p

- - - Post Merge - - -

I want to apologize to Lars. Why apologize ? Because I made my list of top 12 Super Mario Maker levels I have played BEFORE playing his levels. Lars has a great attention to details. I have played half a dozen stages from his extensive library up to now and they are aesthetically pleasing and fun to play.

Lars' stages have this distinction when creating stages : they are all targeted for easy to medium difficulty. He is pretty consistent in this fashion, yet his stages show a real progression in his mastering of the tools available in Super Mario Maker. Maybe Bowsjer Jr. pool party stage may be a bit more difficult than the rest, but it is not impossible to get through.

Also, I want to point out that he has killer underwater sections or stages like Getting to Bowser's stage (paraphrasing the name of the level). I'm now folowing you mate. And I left a couple of messages on Miiverse in both Dutch and French. Tot ziens, mijn vriend !

Thank you so so much! And it's okay, i don't really mind that i am not in your top 12 levels list. I am just really happy that you enjoyed them! Where are you from actually, France?

Last edited:
OHH you were the one who replied to my level! Thanks for trying it out and yes i know those problems, this one was specifically designed to be a bit more challenging since the rest of my levels aren't that hard :p

- - - Post Merge - - -

Thank you so so much! And it's okay, i don't really mind that i am not in your top 12 levels list. I am just really happy that you enjoyed them! Where are you from actually, France?

Qu?bec. But I'm trying to learn Dutch.

I've uploaded another level today, and it's the one that teaches you why certain bad level designs will ruin an Average Joe's enjoyment of the level. Not only everything I previously said about that level is there, I also added two more examples of problematic bad level design decisions. One of them forces you to turn into small Mario for no apparent reason and another that has a room full of useless 1-UPs.

What to NOT create 101

WVW69iYkXoIkArRQom

11BB-0000-0030-94C6

tbh this level was only like 10% annoying at best, which is obviously ignoring that you gave a quick exit for people that don't want to deal with its ****

Oh my god i just earned my fourth medal! (It's a Spiny if i remember correctly...) Which means that i can now upload 40 levels! :D

Well. Last night I played a few more of your levels, like Koopa Family Reunion and lined a few of them!

tbh this level was only like 10% annoying at best, which is obviously ignoring that you gave a quick exit for people that don't want to deal with its ****

The funny thing about this level is that the way that it's built (having a room for each bad level design or terrible level designing philosophy) isn't supposed to be outright annoying. It shows examples of bad level design. Granted, it won't be too annoying to deal with, since you already knew from the very beginning it's going to suck for purpose and these sections are pretty short. I do have to say that if the real deal often revolves these level design decisions, then this one is most likely going to be a stinker.

The door at the beginning was made for someone who goes through 100 Mario Challenge and don't want to waste lives on that one without needing to skip that level. But at the same time, it could become a bad level design when the maker left a challenging/impossible level, but for some reason didn't bothered to play test it and put doors warping from start to goal.

Pipe #1 in this area is Inescapable Trap. The example I shown may sounds crude by its concept, but the point is: if your level contains an area where the player can't escape just because they picked the wrong path, then it's more frustrating than challenging.

Pipe #2 is Blind Jump. Where exactly should you land, if you can't see the land below you? At this point, it becomes a guessing game rather than pure skills.

Pipe #3 is Excessive use of precision jumps. This one's pretty self-explanatory. If it were to be longer, it would easily become tedious. Who wants to do the same thing over and over and over consecutively?

Pipe #4 is Build-a-block segment. It consists of an empty room... filled with invisible blocks. Similar to Pipe #3, this one can get tedious if it gets too long.

Pipe #5 is Sensory Overload. There's so much stuff going on that it's not even a challenge; it's about getting lucky to get past that segment as fast as you can.

I don't remember what the last pipe and the few doors lead to. But, you get the point.

If you really want me to make the worst level in existence, I can quite easily blend all of these elements in an obstacle course to frustrate the player as much as possible. How fast will you give up on trying would be the real deal here.

Last edited:
Ok, but it needs a billion more Lakitus that you can't even see tossing a billion enemies, a 100 second timer at most, fast autoscroll, and to be an obnoxious maze for starters.

Oh, and trampolines EVERYWHERE.

Also, one was a bunch of 1-ups and another an invisible block trap that tbh was quite easy to get by.

From what I can recall at least.

Last edited:
I have just recently uploaded my first level. The code is:

7A66-0000-0076-5B6A

Since I only had basic tools, I decided to create a tutorial based level. I tried to be creative with it too.

Ok, but it needs a billion more Lakitus that you can't even see tossing a billion enemies, a 100 second timer at most, fast autoscroll, and to be an obnoxious maze for starters.

Oh, and trampolines EVERYWHERE.

Also, one was a bunch of 1-ups and another an invisible block trap that tbh was quite easy to get by.

From what I can recall at least.

Crazily enough, I began creating the worst level I could possibly can. There's definitely plenty of winged Lakitus at the start of subworld, along with a Thwomp trying to hit you at the very beginning of the stage and an intentionally boring, long and tedious section that wastes about 200+ second out of your timer. More bad level designs to be thrown in it when I go back a creating this stage.

Fast autoscroll isn't actually a bad gameplay element all things considered. One of my levels, Eggman's Airship of Doom has it on every section and you had to dodge obstacles along the way. When there's alot of breathing room between those jumps, players usually won't mind much about that. And that's ignoring poor uses of it.

I'm also trying to create some sort of Mario's horror story in form of a level, and I'd like some inputs from you guys. At the moment, nothing is set in stone, so go ahead and drop some ideas about it.

Guess what? A new level has been uploaded from me, this time teaching you on how POW blocks work, something I haven't often seen them being properly utilized.

Now you're playing with POW-er!

WVW69id_Qj8Tk055JQ

Hankering for more POW Blocks? Well, you're pretty much covered with this stage. This one demonstrates some of the potentials level designs that these blocks demonstrate. And there's a few puzzle sections thrown in for good measures.

protip: If you want to drop down a POW Block without breaking it, hold Down on Control Stick/Pad and let go the run button. POW Blocks can be stacked up. To equip a Spiny Shell on your head, simply grab it and press Down.

FCC5-0000-009C-6E96

ok but how do you throw items straight up in NSMB style?

Right from the get-go, throwing item upwards only work with Super Mario World style. This is done by holding Up and then let go the Y button. Though, there is a workaround for both New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3 style. Throw or drop the object at a trampoline or note block, but it won't be at the same high height as Super Mario World does.

Ghost House (9E6C-0000-0099-39A6)

It's... A ghost house. Except no Boos. For some reason.

Chaos Castle (E0F1-0000-008D-248A)

Get Lakitu's cloud, and then float to the end. Except a little more complicated.

Save Yourself (6908-0000-0085-18C5)

In this level you play as Princess Peach. When you realize Mario isn't coming to save you anytime soon, you take matters into your own hands and try to break out of Bowser's castle yourself.

Might be hard. (75B2-0000-007D-C531)

My first course. I'm not telling you anything, just figure it out.

? (3E5B-0000-0094-BC14)

Not saying anything about this one either.

Sorry if my courses are crap. I'm new to this.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Crazily enough, I began creating the worst level I could possibly can. There's definitely plenty of winged Lakitus at the start of subworld, along with a Thwomp trying to hit you at the very beginning of the stage and an intentionally boring, long and tedious section that wastes about 200+ second out of your timer. More bad level designs to be thrown in it when I go back a creating this stage.

Fast autoscroll isn't actually a bad gameplay element all things considered. One of my levels, Eggman's Airship of Doom has it on every section and you had to dodge obstacles along the way. When there's alot of breathing room between those jumps, players usually won't mind much about that. And that's ignoring poor uses of it.

I'm also trying to create some sort of Mario's horror story in form of a level, and I'd like some inputs from you guys. At the moment, nothing is set in stone, so go ahead and drop some ideas about it.

Mario's horror story? Is that a creepypasta or something?

[...]

Mario's horror story? Is that a creepypasta or something?

I'd like it to veer on the creepypasta territory. Either a story revolving around Mario or Luigi would do fine for me. I've already got some ideas in mind, but I'll wait and let you guys drop ideas about that.

Back