• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Super Mario 64 General Discussion

I love the Nintendo 64 console, my personal favourite of them all. Super Mario 64 is incredible, I love the focus on exploration that never fails to blow me away and keep me glued to it. I hadn't played in a good long while but I started playing on the 64 again recently and my goodness it has been so good to play it again. I have never played the DS version before and have a lot of very mixed feelings about it but I am hoping to buy it so that I can compare all three versions of it come Christmas.

I find myself talking about Super Mario 64 a lot on this forum (it's in my username after all lol), so I figured I would make a thread where I can centralize all those comments and thoughts, as well as discuss the game with others!

The only rule I have is please don't come here just to criticize the game. This is a thread for people who enjoy the game and like to discuss it! We all know that the camera is shotty and the controls are wonky, but there's so much more to the game than just its flaws. Let's keep a positive atmosphere here! :)

Star.gif
Star.gif
Star.gif

So something I wanted to share (basically the reason for creating this thread at this moment) is I found a screenshot online that someone took of a door just casually floating in the void outside the 3rd floor of the castle. Now I know if you go into the spiral staircase and look through the wall you can see Lakitu's cloud from the Snowman's Land room, but I didn't know about this hidden gem! I might have to try and find it next time I play the game. I wonder where the door leads to? 👀

MysteriousDoor.png

I can also happily report that after about eight-and-a-half years (I think I created my SM64 save file in Oct 2011) I finally collected all 120 stars! Seeing Yoshi on the roof was great, and the super-triple-jump is really cool too! Don't ask why it took so long; all I can say is that Wing Mario Over the Rainbow is trash and the coin stars in TTC and RR are terrifying. :p

I love this game, it is one of my favourite top 10's. I still own my old N64 so I play regularly, I have it on 3ds and All stars for the Switch too. I remember being afraid of the eel and finding the secret fishtank which isn't so secret if you just look behind yourself! Tried a speedrun but sometimes the glitches just don't glitch, yknow? Anyway, yeah, I really enjoy this game and I play monthly alongside crossing.

I grew up playing 64 like many have. I still have it on N64 as well. It's fun for what it is, and definitely has some replayability. However, compared to Galaxy I can't get that into it these days. I never had played Galaxy until 3D All Stars came out, and I got hooked. Now, I'm hooked on Bowser's Fury. I love open world Mario games!

Anyway, 64 is still awesome and a challenge. One thing I do wish they did was incorporated some of the DS version's features. Mostly, I wish they still had the mini games. I'm not sure if you could incorporate all of them, but at least a select few. I remember when I was a kid, I would start the game just to play some of the mini games. The DS touch screen was like new technology to me at the time, so I loved using it. This game is definitely special either way, and I'm glad it was part of my childhood!

I ADORE this game!!! So much so, in fact, that I’ve dedicated an entire ACNH house to symbolizing my favorite courses from the game in each room, am making a giant peach’s castle, and created a big unagi the eel custom design for my mermaid area! SM64 is the first mario game I ever played and it is my heart. My boyfriend adores it too!

Back