• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Should I get HHD

Lavamaize

Bells
Baby Chick Easter Egg
Rotating Fool's Egg
Purple Balloon
Sweet Balloon
Sweet Balloon
Yellow Balloon
Perfect Apple
New Leaf Token
Perfect Cherry
Pink Balloon
I am a big Animal Crossing Fan, but I have only Played Animal Crossing New Leaf. I am wondering if I should get Happy Homes Designer. I am still working on Landscaping my New Leaf town, and with the release of New Horizons coming up soon, I am not sure if I should spend the $20 on the game. I have also heard that Happy Homes Designer was not well liked. Should I get Happy Homes Designer or not if you were in my situation?

I finally got the game only after I stopped playing my two towns when my life became too complicated to devote the time and I thought it would fill the void... which it certainly did. I could get absorbed in arranging and rearranging and found it fun meeting all of the villagers... But it’s only what I’d call a supplement to ACNL.

I'd see if you can find it for cheaper, maybe used somewhere online. It'd probably make the decision a little easier. Some people have posted seeing it at Five Below, so if you have one near you, maybe try there.

Otherwise, it really depends on how much you like the designing aspect of ACNL. HHD allows you to do more and create really nice stuff, but it gets a little tedious after the first few houses, since the prompts start repeating pretty quickly. If you go back and redesign the house, though, you can basically do whatever you want, so at least there's that.

Personally, I used it to design my houses for ACNL, so if you're not done with that yet, it might be interesting. The only thing is it takes a long time to unlock all of the furniture - you only get a few new pieces per villager, and there are about 350 villagers, IIRC. Even if you basically just go in and give everyone an empty house, it still takes pretty long. If you have a series you want to binge watch, I'd save it for then.

I loved the game, once you have unlocked all of the town, abilities and features (Takes an awfully long time to do don't worry) you won't play as much but you will still get to design villagers and amiibo's houses. It is honestly really relaxing and if your a big AC fan then you should definitely add it to your collection. The graphics are also gorgeous, quiet an update from new leaf.

Last edited:
I bought it a couple months ago and it kept me occupied for a while. I like the game as it puts less pressure on me than New Leaf. You can basically play whenever you want. No weeds, no angry villagers. And I've always loved decorating houses in Animal Crossing. So if you can get it for a reasonable price, I'd say go for it.

It really depends on whether you like designing houses in New Leaf or not. It is pretty much just that feature but expanded on. I have the game and I love it. Once you complete enough houses to have a pretty full catalog the game becomes really fun. Also I enjoyed designing the facilities, like the cafe, the hotel, the hospital, the school, the concert hall, the department store. Also designing villagers front yards are fun too. It is a really relaxing and easy game where you can do pretty much whatever you want. It is also a good game for me when I need to get motivated to go back into my New Leaf town after months of not playing. It gets me into the animal crossing spirit without throwing angry villagers, and loads of weeds in my face. Just think about if you would like to design hundreds of houses for loads of villagers with heaps of customization. It's your decision. If you are still wondering about what the game is all about then I would recommend looking at some let's plays on youtube of the game.

I played it pretty heavily when it first came out. Now I only play it occasionally. If you can get it for really cheap, I would say go for it. I like to play it when I'm frustrated with designing my town; you have a lot more control and you can make a lot of really cool houses in it. But I really enjoy that aspect, so if you don't like decorating, skip it. But I'm the type of person who will spend hours on the sims making houses and then not play at all, so this game was made for me, lol.

Thank you for all your replies. I think I will get it, but the only problem is there is tax on it in the Nintendo E-Shop (I think correct me if I'm worng) so I would have to buy a $30 eshop card as opposed to a $20 one. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also are there any upcoming sales in which it would be discounted in the E-Shop?

Thank you for all your replies. I think I will get it, but the only problem is there is tax on it in the Nintendo E-Shop (I think correct me if I'm worng) so I would have to buy a $30 eshop card as opposed to a $20 one. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also are there any upcoming sales in which it would be discounted in the E-Shop?

Eeesh, just try to get the cartridge for cheap at a gaming store or 5below or something. The game isn't worth that much.

Okay! I only problem is, I live in a smallish town, so all the gaming stores don't have HHD! :p

Sorry if I missed it, but is there any particular reason you don't want to buy a used copy on eBay? The game can be found for around $12 with free shipping on a wide variety of eBay listings I found. Many even include free returns if you have a problem with the copy you receive. I don't want to link to any particular pages because I don't want it to seem like I endorse any particular seller. However, the option is there.

I'm in that very same doubt actually. I can't afford to buy a Switch solely for New Horizons so I was thinking of getting Happy Home Designer. And all these replies actually convinced me, I'll be searching for a used/cheaper copy.

Not to bother you, but you could probly get a Switch for reallt cheap by getting a Switch lite or regular switch on Black Friday.

I'm in that very same doubt actually. I can't afford to buy a Switch solely for New Horizons so I was thinking of getting Happy Home Designer. And all these replies actually convinced me, I'll be searching for a used/cheaper copy.

I totally understand that! (I can't afford a switch either) I would love to know (maybe if you posted a thread on it in this forum in it) What you think of it and how much you enjoy it! If you have been thinking of buying it then you have probably seen my comments around the place about the gorgeous graphic upgrade from new leaf and that I generally think it is very underrated.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Not to bother you, but you could probly get a Switch for reallt cheap by getting a Switch lite or regular switch on Black Friday.

Not everyone lives in America

Last edited:
I'm guessing where ever he lives there is a sale like Black Friday.

Last edited:
That may be the case but over where I live- there is no black friday or equivalent so they may not be able to get such a great deal. Tech is expensive, it is a nice thing to mention in case they do (have a black friday or equivalent sale) but it's always good to remember that you don't know their situations.

I bought digital copy so that I had something to do when I travel and one of my real life aspirations is to be an interior designer so this game actually allowed me to vent out my ideas. I finished the game in 20hrs ( completing your street venues and building prompts) and afterwards spent most of my time just collecting furniture pieces and making aesthetically pleasing homes for my favorite animals. It does get incredibly boring after a while, since it's incredibly repetitive. But it is nice that you can also use hhd in nl to better organize your home.
Hhd also used to have weekly or monthly ( I can't recall) theme contests which actually was its best feature in my opinion. Essentially they gave you a theme involving a ginormous version of a furniture item, i.e. giant stewpot or giant sun, and your job was to decorate using the item given, and make it match the theme or something creative involving it, upload it online and have people vote for the best design. I think if you won a high ranking in stars (5/5 stars), you got to keep the item used during the contest.
But tbh it's been so long since i played, I'm sure some of my details are wrong.
I mostly use hhd for the hhd feature for my nl copies now.
I wouldnt say its the *best* game since it's online features are no longer in service, but it is useful and great for people who like to collect furniture or simply on trips to pass the time. At least for me.
You can also scan in villagers to decorate their homes and that makes collecting them easier as well.
Annnd you can customize your character however you want and however many times you want for free. You can dress every animal up as well, which is also nice!
I'm not sure if you can scan in all npcs and decorate their homes, but you can if you have Isabelle. Not really an important detail but I thought I would throw that in there since she has a huge fan base and I know that would excite some people lol.

Thank you everyone for your replies! All your responses have made me decide that I will get it in the future. I am really hoping I can find it fro under $15 dollars as I do not want to spend too much money on an olderish game! Thank you so much guys!

Yay! I am so glad that you have decided to buy animal
Crossing happy home designer! Please do update us on how you find the game/what you think of it when you get it and start playing it! Exciting

Back