• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Scariest gaming moments

QueenCobra

Gutted, rotted, Gila monster, BEAST!
Bells
This might be a stupid story, but when I was a kid, I played Nancy Drew and the Haunted Carousel (I think that’s what it’s called?) but every time I went into the haunted house of the amusement park or talked to the creepy robot, I got nervous. I also took it personally whenever I got fired for making a mistake. (lol) I guess I was too young for the game’s target demographic (or just a coward), so I had trouble sleeping after that.
Usually I don’t play scary games. The “scariest” games I have are Luigi’s Mansion 3 and some Castlevania games, but they don’t bother me.
What’s your scariest gaming moment?

Any second that I play subnautica lol. Specifically I remember the first time I was in my seamoth and got grabbed by a reaper. Also my first time seeing the Sea emperor climb on that platform thing scared the pants off me lol. I also liked Nancy drew when I was younger and they freaked me out at times. I was jump scared several times by ghost of Thornton hall and ghost at the waters edge. I still love them tho.

For some reason, the human character’s face on Animal Crossing GameCube when you turned into a Gyroid used to scare me big time. That’s the only thing I can think of at the moment, though.

not gonna lie i felt pretty anxious when i watched mr fruit's youtube video playing a horror game called PTL recently. equally when i watched him play phasmophobia with the dream team i sort of also felt on edge a bit
i don't think i could play phasmophobia lol

my older sister used to be a bit scared (+ may still be) of going out at night in minecraft on survival mode. 'twas sort of amusing

also maybe during playing the last of us with the (clicker?) zombies initially. when my sister was completing the game for the first time, she got her friend to do traverse encounters / parts of the game for her 'cause she got real scared 😅

I don't play horror games at all. I am in the same train as you where Luigi's Mansion 1-3 will give me a good spook.

Usually I watch Youtubers play horror games. Unfortunately I played "navigator" with my friend when he played Resident Evil 8. and oh my god, I don't know how I didn't get nightmares from this game. I made sure he played during the day and I didn't full screen when he shared his screen. He said I helped him a lot on telling him what to do but I hated every moment of it.

There was one moment where he escaped the House of Dolls and that dreaded "baby" monster. He came across this black ram (there's cooking in this game, lol) and aimed at it. Then it suddenly reared up and tried to headbutt him which caused us to both screamed. I'm not a screamer, I usually just swear but that ram made me scream, hahaha.

You think you've tasted fear. You think you understand what it means to experience dread at a most primal level. You think you've seen disturbing things, the mere mention of which would send a shiver down the spine of even the most hardened men.

But you don't know fear. Not real fear. You can't possibly know what it means to be scared until you come face to face with...

super_mario_64-super-mario.gif

I only pray you can still find rest after bearing witness to this.

For dedicated horror games a couple of moments stick out to me:

First was from Silent Hill 3; at some point in the game you'll reach an empty building under construction, and in that area is a room full of mannequins. The room is divided by a shelf giving it a "U" shape, and on one side is a female mannequin. At first if you walk up to it nothing will happen, but if you walk around the divider to the other side of the room all the way to the back, you'll suddenly hear a scream and a thud. If you walk back over to the female mannequin you'll see it with huge bloody slash marks and the head has been cut off 😱
Another from Silent Hill 3 is the Borley Haunted Mansion attraction at the Lakeside Amusement Park level. Literally just that entire section was tense lol

Next was from Fatal Frame 2. If you go to the storehouse Itsuki Tachibana is locked in, there's a small staircase into a tiny attic that's only big enough to peek your head into. If you go into camera mode (which puts you in first-person view), you'll see a doll across from you, and if you stare long enough it's head will fall off. That made me fall back onto my couch from being startled 🤣

Other games that technically aren't horror but still got me were ones like Luigi's Mansion; whenever you answer Melody's music questions wrong and she gets mad and starts pounding on her piano always unsettled me ;-;

First was from Silent Hill 3; at some point in the game you'll reach an empty building under construction, and in that area is a room full of mannequins. The room is divided by a shelf giving it a "U" shape, and on one side is a female mannequin. At first if you walk up to it nothing will happen, but if you walk around the divider to the other side of the room all the way to the back, you'll suddenly hear a scream and a thud. If you walk back over to the female mannequin you'll see it with huge bloody slash marks and the head has been cut off 😱
Another from Silent Hill 3 is the Borley Haunted Mansion attraction at the Lakeside Amusement Park level. Literally just that entire section was tense lol
Silent Hill 3 is such an amazing horror game. These did scare the fudge out of me. The mirror too.

Seeing Pyramid Head for the first time in Silent Hill 2 was also quite terrifying, though it wasn't a jump scare at all. Silent Hill just knows how to mess with you and I absolutely love it.

For dedicated horror games a couple of moments stick out to me:

Next was from Fatal Frame 2. If you go to the storehouse Itsuki Tachibana is locked in, there's a small staircase into a tiny attic that's only big enough to peek your head into. If you go into camera mode (which puts you in first-person view), you'll see a doll across from you, and if you stare long enough it's head will fall off. That made me fall back onto my couch from being startled 🤣

Other games that technically aren't horror but still got me were ones like Luigi's Mansion; whenever you answer Melody's music questions wrong and she gets mad and starts pounding on her piano always unsettled me ;-;
Fatal Frame 2…good Lord, I remember watching Markiplier play it and I even got jumpy then lol.
Post automatically merged:

And don’t even get me started on the Garfield Scary Scavenger Hunt games that used to be on the Garfield website…(I think?) I used to be so proud of myself for finishing those lol.

Last edited:
@coffeeplant Silent Hill 3 is my favorite of the original 4! Omg that mirror scene got me too, I was going to list it as well but then I'd pretty much be recounting my whole experience with the game, it's just unsettling and scary throughout 🤣
Yeah, Pyramid Head just standing there menacingly behind the bars in the apartment hallway was super unsettling 😱 I remember also when I was in the last area, Lake View Hotel, and I went up some stairs that were eventually blocked off by a gate, and I suddenly hear a faint and ghostly voice that sounded like Mary call out "James"; I freaked out it was so unexpected LOL

@QueenCobra Fatal Frame gave me SO much dread when I first played it, that I literally couldn't play it and had to hand it off to my sister lol the atmosphere was so well done and oppressive that it gave me a stomachache 🤣
I remember that Garfield game! It always made me want donuts after playing it 😆

I loved horror games/movies when I was younger! Played a lot of them, but I was always so bad at finishing them. Usually I got bored and moved on to a new game before getting to the end. My attention span was atrocious. But there is one game I recall that made me stop because I was actually scared. Amnesia.

Amnesia had a small burst of popularity for a time because of so many YouTubers playing it. One of its interesting key features was that you could not fight the monsters. You had no weapons. Fighting was not an option. If any monster got you, you died. And it wasn't even the scariest game I'd played, but one level really got to me.

I don't know what it is, but water levels in horror games freak me out to no end. There was a water level where you had to splash around in waist deep water with something invisible chasing you. You had to run as fast as you could and climb furniture sticking out of the water before you would be caught, and huddle there in terror while you watched the splashes of the invisible creature wading away from you. Just to hop back in the water and run some more while it's back was turned. The hallways weren't straight, so you never knew where the next sanctuary was. It was awful. I think I actually beat the level, but I was so shaken that I had to take a break and catch my breath for the rest of the night. Never had the courage to go back.

Fun fact: The water level in the first 1/3 of Last of Us nearly got me to stop playing. If I wasn't playing with someone else and alternating who had the controller, I don't think I would have continued the game. (I was the one who actually got through that level. I screamed every time I had to go under water, but I did it. It was me.)

Seeing this absolute nightmare in Zelda: TotK.
This is, by far, THE most terrifying enemy I've encountered in the entire Zelda series. Not even redeads or guardians can top this thing. 😭 The music, the sky turning red when it spots you, how fast it chases you... I make sure to steer clear of these gloom hands whenever possible during my playthrough.
1685855062400.png

Although since this is about scariest gaming moments... The first time I played Zelda: BotW and saw the guardian at the Great Plateau, it scared me so much that I stopped playing for a few days before picking the game up again. I was not expecting something like that, and the music didn't help matters either.

I don't play horror games, so I don't really have anything I can think of. I used to play FNaF when I was younger, even though I don't do well with jumpscares at all. I was terrified of Foxy since he would run down the hallway in the first game. I think the reason I stopped playing altogether was because I got jumpscared by him, but in the second game instead.

Everyone knows the true scariest moment in any game is when you go to Undella town in Pokémon Black and White and find Cynthia in that one house.

As a kid, I played the demo for medieval on the PS1. The villain in the game was freaky and as much as I had fun on the game, it did creep me out a bit. I saw pics of the villain on the remake and they change the villain alot in my opinion. Not as scary/creepy.
1998 zarok face
320px-Medievil-title.png

Medievil-2-Zarok_1.1.2.jpg

Vs

images

Also, on super smash bros melee (GameCube) the weird brown zombie things bothered me too. Their movement/attack was freaky.

Okay. When I was a kid playing Super Mario 64 the first time I tried to get the Red Coin in that world called "Big Boo's Mansion" you go into the first room and the Red coin is behind the Grand Piano. Now at first it looks easy but as soon as when you get the near piano the thing CHOPS at you like crazy.

In Paper Mario Sticker Star, I jumped in shock when the Stapler Thing popped out of the window in the haunted mansion level. I didn’t expect it and it caught me by pure surprise. Jump scares in games typically don’t affect but that one did just because of how unpredicted it was. I have give the game developers credit for creating such a memorable and unexpected jump scare.

*potential subnautica spoilers*

I don't play scary games but I have played subnautica 1 and 2 lol. I played the second one before the original one, and I remember building my house near one of the chelicerate leviathans to force myself to get over my fear. I also was terrified of seeing the frozen leviathan for the longest time (even though it was "dead"), and I didn't complete that part of the game for a while because of it.

But the scariest moment for me in that game was when I was trying to find Marguerit's greenhouse in the big iceberg biome. I was swimming around as one does, thinking that this would be a pretty place to live with the whales and the clear blue water. I wanted to see if I could build a house on the seafloor, so I started swimming down. I remember thinking it was really weird that you couldn't see the bottom at all but kept going. I swam deeper and deeper down and eventually came to the seafloor which was...barren?? No sand or coral but just a weird basic texture with little tufts of grass, like the graphics were not finished. And then I heard the entering the void announcement and the screech of multiple leviathan-class lifeforms...

Even though the original subnautica is "scarier" than the sequel, I felt that playing the second one first did prepare me for it better, but of course I still found the reaper leviathan scary like everyone else. I also felt like the architect structures were scary too, especially the one with the abandoned tanks and then the main tank with the sea emperor. Even though the sea emperor was nice and somewhat cute, it was really eerie jumping into the tank and then watching it come up on the platform and then swimming around.

Im a big fan of horror! I love being scared. Well most of the time, here my most memorable ones:
---
Fragile Dreams was probably my very first horror game. Its a really underated post apocolptic anime style horror game.

needless to say it was creepy, me and my friend were so scared to play it, we did. But the monsters were really creepy and so were some of the mechanics. But whenever a monster appeared it would have this laugh that would come through on your wii remote, which was part of the game

then would follow up with soft gentle creepy music and legs! Yep pairs of kids with no bodies, hands trying to grab you, and others. We took turns playing it and I remember dropping the controller at one point because a litteral voice came from the remote. I can't remember if we finished it xD But I do remember making it part way.

id probably go back and play it and drop the remote again as well.
--
Zanki Zero was not an intended horror game (Was it labled as one? I can't remember) but was still scary! Its a post apocalyptic-isk game that me and my friend were super excited about. Its really hard to summorize so your better off looking it up.

Part of the game is you gotta go through these like dungeon towers, areas and face different monsters. Well some of them as the game goes on were very scary, like these baby and maniquin monsters? No thank you

I really enjoyed it, but I was such a whimp playing it. Still didn't scare me as much as fragile dreams, but enough that I played it differently,

Because some areas were waaay too much for me. I hate baby monsters. Maniquins, it just got worse and worse.

So i ended up playing as the one girl and making sure everyone else were babies. Because then no monsters spawn if you start the dungeon like that. Some how walking through creepy abandoned buildings was worse. XD so it was freaky either way.
---
So Arceus, Pokemon Legends of Arceus:

Yeah so I dont like playing during the night period, because of the ghost Pokemon. You get an alert that your being hunted and I cant see what it is until a bloody ghost Pokemon is right beside me and blasts me right away xD Like the point Im at right now.

Those driftloon and gastly man, they suck
(Funny enough the Gastly gang are my favorite ghosts)
I love ghost Pokemon, but being hunted by the ones in Arceus ain't my cup of tea for sure.
(Though the point im at now I have no choice)
--
Those are the only ones I can think of right now.​

Last edited:
You think you've tasted fear. You think you understand what it means to experience dread at a most primal level. You think you've seen disturbing things, the mere mention of which would send a shiver down the spine of even the most hardened men.

But you don't know fear. Not real fear. You can't possibly know what it means to be scared until you come face to face with...

super_mario_64-super-mario.gif

I only pray you can still find rest after bearing witness to this.
The piano in that one ghost house in Kirby Triple Deluxe startled me the first time I played that level. I understood that Kirby was being attacked by possessed household items but I did not expect to see another Piano trying to eat another video game protagonist especially in something as cute as Kirby.

Back