• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

PaRappa The Rapper/Um Jammer Lammy Discussion

BobRocks20

Wowzers!
Bells
Switch
0557-5119-2409
Flimsy Watering Can
White Violet
Purple Violet
I saw that there were a few threads about PaRappa but they were old so I decided to make a new one because I felt like it.

Discuss PaRappa the Rapper and Um Jammer Lammy here! Share your high scores, show us how "u rappin' cool," talk about your favorite music, and maybe try bringing up the anime! Just remember to be civil.

Since I made this thread, I might stop by every now and then. Though my interest in this franchise is waning, PaRappa's influence on me has never died.

You gotta believe!

PaRappa the Rapper was the first game I ever played on PS1, via a demo disc that (maybe?) came with the console. I thought it was hilarious, especially messing up on purpose just to hear poor Parappa go "Oops! Uh oh!" I remember being so happy when I learned the secret to get u rappin cool consistently... I regret that I lost the disc at some point and have never been able to find it, because I would love to replay it at some point.

PaRappa the Rapper was the first game I ever played on PS1, via a demo disc that (maybe?) came with the console. I thought it was hilarious, especially messing up on purpose just to hear poor Parappa go "Oops! Uh oh!" I remember being so happy when I learned the secret to get u rappin cool consistently... I regret that I lost the disc at some point and have never been able to find it, because I would love to replay it at some point.
Ooh, what's the secret? If you don't wanna say it that's fine; it's called a secret for a reason. It's just that I stink at freestyle and the few times I got Cool Mode it was out of luck and then I just freeze up and I don't know what buttons to press to keep the rhythm going. XD
And you're gonna want to buy the full game to make the most of your experience. A single demo disc can't do justice!

Ooh, what's the secret? If you don't wanna say it that's fine; it's called a secret for a reason. It's just that I stink at freestyle and the few times I got Cool Mode it was out of luck and then I just freeze up and I don't know what buttons to press to keep the rhythm going. XD
And you're gonna want to buy the full game to make the most of your experience. A single demo disc can't do justice!

I did buy the game soon after having so much fun with the demo, and of course I loved it. That's the one I regrettably still can't find to this day.

As for the 'u rappin cool' trick, I have to sheepishly admit that I don't really remember it exactly due to it being quite a while since I last played the game... but if I had to try and explain it, I feel like once you successfully reach cool mode, rather than attempt to truly freestyle, if you instead just repeat the same 'phrase' to the beat repeatedly it's relatively easy to stay there. It seems a little weird, but I remember it working rather well.

Here's how I play the PaRappa games... since I don't have a PS1 or PS2, I just resort to emulators. A few lags here and there, but it works 99% of the time. I also like to use a wireless PS4 controller for more of an authentic experience. There's a problem though. The controller in question is my brother's and I don't know where he put it anymore. So that's been keeping me from replaying the games. I know I can just use the keyboard but it doesn't feel the same personally.

I wonder if anyone here has watched the anime and is willing to share their opinion on it. I heard a few bad things about it but am still considering giving the episodes a watch.

my man @/Shellzilla_515 has had a wild time playing Parappa 2 and showing me parts of it, the B I G song really gets me 😂

I've never played the games myself (not too into rhythm games besides maybe Guitar Hero 3) but it does seem kinda funny hehehe
Post automatically merged:

I wonder if anyone here has watched the anime and is willing to share their opinion on it. I heard a few bad things about it but am still considering giving the episodes a watch.
uh wait, an anime lol???

I've never played the games myself (not too into rhythm games besides maybe Guitar Hero 3) but it does seem kinda funny hehehe
I know, right!? I always found the whole noodle takeover thing ridiculous! Definitely give it a shot some time!
uh wait, an anime lol???
Yes, it's real. It only aired in Japan about 20-something years ago before falling into obscurity, so I get how you feel. You can easily find the episodes on YouTube if you're interested in watching it.

So, a thread about Parappa the Rapper, eh? I actually like this because I’ve had interest in the series fairly recently lol. It started when I was randomly recommended a video on YouTube of gameplay from one of the Parappa the Rapper games.

Eventually, I found myself watching more to the point that my interest has been steadily increasing to the point that I ended up buying Parappa the Rapper 2 on the PS4 (and even played the short demo of the first game briefly)! Not gonna lie, all the songs are absolute bonkers and even more fun too if you decide to throw in a bit of free styling.

Speaking of which, it wasn’t too long ago that I reached the pink hat difficulty. I was surprised to have somehow got cool mode on the third stage and I was really hyped up about that lol. The best part is that Big is my favourite soundtrack in the entire game, so to get cool mode and maintain that all the way for two thirds of it was really great!

Would like to hear more of your thoughts about the series. :)

It started when I was randomly recommended a video on YouTube of gameplay from one of the Parappa the Rapper games.

Eventually, I found myself watching more to the point that my interest has been steadily increasing [...]
Oh my goodness, that was exactly how I got into the games too! Except that was back in 2020. And then this interest turned into a major hyper-fixation. I bet that's gonna happen to you later...

Speaking of which, it wasn’t too long ago that I reached the pink hat difficulty. I was surprised to have somehow got cool mode on the third stage and I was really hyped up about that lol. The best part is that Big is my favourite soundtrack in the entire game, so to get cool mode and maintain that all the way for two thirds of it was really great!
Congratulations on getting the pink hat and getting Cool Mode! I have all of PaRappa's hat colors available but I stink at freestyling. 😅 One time I got Cool Mode on the fourth stage on accident and I remember freezing up!
And BIG is a great song IMO. Good luck clearing everything else!

Oh my goodness, that was exactly how I got into the games too! Except that was back in 2020. And then this interest turned into a major hyper-fixation. I bet that's gonna happen to you later...

Congratulations on getting the pink hat and getting Cool Mode! I have all of PaRappa's hat colors available but I stink at freestyling. 😅 One time I got Cool Mode on the fourth stage on accident and I remember freezing up!
And BIG is a great song IMO. Good luck clearing everything else!
Yeah, what’s really interesting is that I had numerous moments where the game shifted me between good and cool mode in blue and pink hat difficulty compared to red hat difficulty lol. It’s a hard to pinpoint how the game bumps you to cool mode when I’ve been timing my presses decently and not much more than that. If I go out of my way to try and get there, the game refuses to let me lol. And thanks! I’ve been on the edge of the seat way back on red hat difficulty, so I’d imagine I’d be sweating buckets on yellow hat difficulty. 😅

Any thoughts on the first Parappa game? I tried the remastered demo version on the PS4 and despite timing the button presses when I should, it thinks I’m rapping bad? It’s quite confusing for a rhythm game, and my suspicions were reinforced when I watched someone speedrun it explaining that you need to time your presses slightly later than shown (aside from one of the later stages where you need to time it slightly earlier).

Any thoughts on the first Parappa game? I tried the remastered demo version on the PS4 and despite timing the button presses when I should, it thinks I’m rapping bad? It’s quite confusing for a rhythm game, and my suspicions were reinforced when I watched someone speedrun it explaining that you need to time your presses slightly later than shown (aside from one of the later stages where you need to time it slightly earlier).
I'm pretty sure that's the game's problem, but that's coming from someone who has played PaRappa 1 on a PS1 emulator and has not had any timing problems, so take it with a grain of salt. I'm curious about what Speedrun you watched. It was for the remaster, right?

I'm pretty sure that's the game's problem, but that's coming from someone who has played PaRappa 1 on a PS1 emulator and has not had any timing problems, so take it with a grain of salt. I'm curious about what Speedrun you watched. It was for the remaster, right?
Yes, it was the remastered version. There wasn’t any input lag whatsoever. Really odd how that’s a problem.

Yes, it was the remastered version. There wasn’t any input lag whatsoever. Really odd how that’s a problem.
I have an idea... since the demo is sort of different from the main game, why don't you buy the main game and see what happens? It's not my best advice since I haven't played them both, but maybe that could solve the problem. I'm not sure though.

I had no idea anyone remembered Umm Jammer Lammy (as opposed to PaRappa) so seeing this thread is cool!

I tried to revisit the games on a PSX emulator but couldn't get anywhere due to timing differences. The input seemed fine and I was pressing the buttons at the right time, but apparently there can be issues with when stuff is displayed on screen since it's meant for a CRT monitor. Or something. It's been a while since I looked up the issue! I'd love to be able to play these games again one day, though.

Back