• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Opinions on Tattoos, Piercings and all the Stuff my Mom Doesn't Like

Do you have a tattoo and/or piercing?

• Total voters
I am very much pro body mods. I have seventeen tattoos (eighteenth booked) and have been pierced over twenty times. I have stretched earlobes and dermals implanted in my skin.

I feel the professional world is gradually coming to terms with the notion that tattoos are only skin deep. Until recently I worked as a scientist and when not in the lab my desk was in the same office as the management team. I would go to conferences in a suit, with fifteen visible piercings (three of those facial: nostril, lip, and septum) and one of my tattoos peeking out my jacket sleeve, and no one said anything to me about it. My other half teaches and is heavily tattooed and to the best of my knowledge hasn't had any problems either.

i really like piercings and tattoos! i don’t have any myself because i am a Big Baby and can’t handle the slightest bit of pain but i really want to get my nose pierced in the future - i got it pierced a few years ago but it wasn’t a proper one nor did i have any idea about aftercare so when the stud fell out of my nose while i was sleeping, i just let it be and let the hole close up lmaoo

i’m not super sure about tattoos, though - i do want to get my cat’s name tattoo’d on me and maybe the initials of other people who mean a lot to me but i think a piercing might be my priority and is currently what i’m most interested in getting aha ^~^

I think that tattoos are super cool, and yeah the industry is coming more to terms with it. I would personally be against anything hyper offensive but all those vids on youtube of tattoo artists drawing over gang symbols and whatnot are all super cool too.

I personally don't think I'll be getting one anytime soon, I'm super indecisive and mostly scared of having something that would stay there forever/a very long time.

I do have ear piercings, but I can't wear earrings anymore since they're super super sensitive now. Hypoallergenic stuff that I used to wear just fine is making my ear burn up bright red and even a pair of hypoallergenic gold earrings was setting me off. I'm open to trying metals formulated for super sensitive ears like what I have, but there's a lot less options unfortunately. :(

As for the teachers being required to keep tattoos covered thing, I think it's a relic of tattoos in the past being seen as offensive. Even if some of them are, especially for those teaching younger audiences, it's easier just to have a blanket ban on all tattoos instead of having to evaluate each one case-by-case if that makes sense ^^;;

I'm honestly pretty traditional when it comes to appearances. Being raised in an asian environment really discouraged tattoos because they were traditionally associated with crime and stuff. My Japanese neighbors were absolutely, 100% against.

I personally don't want tattoos because I'm squeamish around needles and I don't really like them, but it's your body! Do what pleases you!
I'm actually a big fan of really well done asian inspired tattoos, and geometric designs.
I'm iffy on special interest tattoos because, "what if your opinion changes on the show or whatever?"

In terms of piercings, I don't really like large piercings. I'm talking like HUGE ones, like a very noticeable hole in your face kinda deal.

Hello everyone
I have a tattoo on my shoulders
At the time it was a friendship deal
Me and a few friends made the same design
Bit nowadays i realize how stupid that was
And i kind regret
Time and aging is sometimes a problem

love em both. i have two tattoos (more in the works now that i've actually got a bit of money saved) and quite a few piercings. i'm done with piercings as they're a pain to clean/heal and i've had enough of all that lol, but i plan to get many more tattoos over the years.

I have one tattoo and my ears pierced. To be honest my mum is not a fan of having tattoos but we made the mutual agreement that I would put it somewhere that I could hide it if necessary and I was 21 after all. Plus she was worried about me regretting it as I grew older so again a easy place to hide. I ended up having it on my ankle up my leg so not many people know I actually have one. I have worked at my current job for 4 years and only this year certain staff noticed 😂. My tattoo has meaning behind it and that's why it's the only one I have, plus it hurt alot 😂. I used to have my nose pierced but my boyfriend knocked it out by accident and it closed up.

I think they’re really cool! I like what tattoos look like but I don’t think I’ll ever get one myself unless I had a good design, but Ive always wanted to get a septum piercing my parents would probably HATE it though since they judge based on looks which I hate

My dad always claims he doesn’t like tattoos, but he keeps getting them. When I point out that I’ve noticed he’s gotten a new one he smacks my hand away LOL. He always talks bad about my sisters sleeves. It’s really bizarre behavior.

My take on it is just to become an adult and do what makes you happiest. Just because they are your parents doesn’t mean they know what’s best for you. You only have one life and you have a right to live it the way you want. But also think carefully about what you want and make sure that it’s something you love.

I only have my ear lobes pierces but I rarely wear them now. I may get more but I think I’m allergic and it’ll be a lot of work.... maybe a tattoo too but Im indecisive and I wouldn’t want to get one without meaning.
I think they should be fine in professional settings as long as it’s not something weird like this:
1594948227339.jpeg

1594948324238.png

I have my ears pierced, but I haven't worn earrings in over five years. I used to wear a lot of those hoop earrings back in high school, but I guess my earlobes couldn't handle the weight and one decided to droop more than the other. It's really noticeable so that's why I haven't worn them since.

I would consider getting an industrial piercing, but I'm kind of nervous about the maintenance and the risk of infection. It's an idea I've been playing around with for awhile. I would need reassurance from people who have it to see if it's not as bad as I think it will be, lol.

Back