• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Opinions on Tattoos, Piercings and all the Stuff my Mom Doesn't Like

Do you have a tattoo and/or piercing?

• Total voters

SolaireOfAstora

After Mon and Tues, even the calendar says WTF
Bells
July Birthstone (Ruby)
S.S. Dolphin
Chocolate Cake
Vesta
New Horizons Token
Green Candy
July Birthstone (Ruby)
Father's Day Carnation
Cherry (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Hey all! As the title says, what do you think of tattoos/piercings? Are they unprofessional? Do they look nice?

Feel free to post pics (as long as they're sfw)

I don't have piercings as I don't wear jewelry at all. No necklaces, bracelets or anything. A stud/small hoop in my nose at some point would be cool though. I wouldn't get a septum piercing though, I'm not a fan of them personally.

I have one tattoo atm, on my shoulder. It's the molecular structure of caffeine.
Chemical-Structure-of-the-Caffeine-Molecule.png

And on the 24th of July, I am getting a semi-colon surrounded by flames with a spear through it. It's a dark souls reference because I do attribute dark souls to aiding my mental health.

TW: Self-harm and Suicide
-
-
-
My first DS game was DS3. I did not know how hard it was going to be [hint: VERY]. My stubborn self kept pushing though and the combination of distraction, determination and frustration led to me cutting less and less. I also thank the notorious difficulty for drawing out the time I was distracting myself: "I'm not going to attempt suicide until I clear this area/beat this boss!! And it would take me 100+ tries. Now I don't struggle with the games at all anymore but I've also had tons of therapy in those years of delaying my demise -- and I no longer have those thoughts like I did. Thanks, Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Sekiro.

As a teacher-in-training, I have to make sure my tattoos can be easily hidden. I don't necessarily agree with it but that's what needs to be done until I have some job security. As for my thoughts: I see tattoos as fine for less rigorously structured jobs - ones where you're not wearing suits and the like. Teachers shouldn't have a problem (unless it's an offensive symbol), where lawyers probably should have them covered. This might also be because lawyers tend to be covered more in general by formal clothing so...as for piercings they aren't a huge deal unless really unconventional, like in your cheeks. I also think septum piercings should be hidden while working or doing something professional. I think it's because I associate them with bovine and it weirds me out. Just my opinion ofc, ppl are entitled to whatever they like :)

As also stated, my mom hates tattoos and piercings. My first tattoo I got secretly, the day after my 18th birthday. My dad (who has a one too) noticed a small bit of the wrap and made me show him. My dad is uber laid back, where my mom....isn't.

He told me that I had to tell her...even though his mother went to her grave without knowing about his (to quote my dad: "this is different" lol)

Now my next one she's actually putting a bit of money towards for my birthday (the 25th). I just told her "I made an appointment for a tattoo" and she just kinda...accepted it.

Progress, I suppose lol

I think tattoos and piercings are perfectly fine to have, as long as they are within reason. Other than just being a way to permanently mark something onto your body, I see a lot of people using tattoos as a way to express themselves nowadays as well, so I feel they serve a good purpose. In terms of getting a tattoo, I like to imagine what I would like with it as an old person, and if it is in a very visible place and looks stupid then it's probably not a good idea to get it.

While I haven't got one yet as my body is technically still growing and it might distort the tattoo, I am definitely planning on getting one in the future! Not sure of what I would get yet, but I'm not gonna rush it. Need to find a good local artist as well for when the time comes, as I'd much rather pay a hefty amount for someone that I know is gonna do a good job and has very clean lines.

I can't really speak on piercings much because I don't really have any friends with them, and haven't done much research on them either. Aside from ear piercings though, I probably wouldn't get one because I know that a lot of employer's can judge them quite harshly (especially in my line of work). Although with how society has been progressing, it seems these are slowly becoming more and more acceptable as time goes on.

Edit: Omg I didn't realise how big I made this post, sorry for the wall of text. I ramble so much ;-;

Much like you, I am pursuing a career in education, because of that, I would never get a tattoo on my arms, neck, collarbone or from the ankles down. I'm even debating whether a calf tattoo is a good or bad idea.. I wouldn't be able to wear maxi dresses or long skirts if I got one there.

My parents don't like tattoos, my mom would really like it if me and my brother never got one and my dad would never get one himself, but he's told me he doesn't care if my brother or I were to get one, to him we're old enough to make our own decisions.

I also *secretly* got my first tattoo shortly after I turned 18, I got mine on my ribcage, so hiding it is no big deal. No one in my family knows I have a tattoo, but after my brother came back form his university covered in tattoos, I can say my mom has accepted it, I don't think she would be surprised if I told her about mine (it's still a secret lol).

I like piercings specially on the ears, dermal piercings are also very pretty but I feel like the risk of scarring is grater greater with those, so I would never get one myself. If my nose was actually straight, I would've gotten a "cow ring" piercing a long time ago 😂

Last edited:
I don't have any tattoos or piercings, but I think they're awesome! I think I'd like to get a tattoo in the future, maybe something small and meaningful, but I'm not sure yet!

As for piercings, I've had my earlobes pierced 4 times in my lifetime (Same location), but each time I either lost the earring doing something and it closed up before I could put it back in, or it got infected because my skin is reeeeeally sensitive and I had to take them out to heal, so they closed up.
It sucks...because I really think ear piercings look cool, but I just don't know if my body will allow me to have them.

Can’t stand either (on myself, of course). My mom said that when we turned 13 that if we wanted to we could get our ears pierced. I‘m a big scaredy-cat so even tho I’m way over that age I’m not going to get one. Don’t get me started on tattoos. I get nervous for mandatory vaccinations (gotta get that Tdap re-upped before the semester starts 😬) so the thought of going under the tattoo pen makes me shudder.

Last edited:
Much like you, I am pursuing a career in education, because of that, I would never get a tattoo on my arms, neck, collarbone or from the ankles down. I'm even debating whether a calf tattoo is a good or bad idea.. I wouldn't be able to wear maxi dresses or long skirts if I got one there.

My parents don't like tattoos, my mom would really like it if me and my brother never got one and my dad would never get one himself, but he's told me he doesn't care if my brother or I were to get one, to him we're old enough to make our own decisions.

I also *secretly* got my first tattoo shortly after I turned 18, I got mine on my ribcage, so hiding is no big deal. No one in my family knows I have a tattoo, but after my brother came back form his university covered in tattoos, I can say my mom has accepted it, I don't think she would be surprised if I told her about mine (it's still a secret lol).

I like piercings specially on the ears, dermal piercings are also very pretty but I feel like the risk of scarring is grater with those, so I would never get one myself. If my nose was actually straight, I would've gotten a "cow ring" piercing a long time ago 😂
Omg you're just my doppleganger lol
I don't care too much about anything on my calf not being hidden as I don't wear skirts or dresses and as a teacher, won't be wearing shorts.

Yeah I think times are changing, it’s becoming more and more normal for people to be walking around with tattoos and piercings.

I have two tattoos, one is a small outline of a cartoon bat on my arm (I need to get it touched up) I think it’s cute. I want one on the other arm inThe same area but a butterfly. My second tattoo is a graveyard with a church wrapped around my left ankle. It’s pretty big, costed about $300. It’s one of the drawings from the Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark books. (Yes I know about the movie and I loved it) These tats basically are a symbol of my love for horror. There’s a lot more I want to get but I don’t have planned out and they are expensive >.<

I have two belly rings, a nose ring, and twelve ear piercings. I used to have a SEPTUM lol I absolutely lOved it! I took it out, I feel like I’m a little too old to have it now & im tired of the looks I get from it. Easiest piercing to heal btw. I also used to have two collar bone piercings, by gOD they hurt. They never healed and I had to take them out myself. No, they weren’t dermals, they were actual rods lmao. I have some small scars there now but I don’t mind it. I don’t have a darn clue as to why but get a piercing is so liberating! It’s fun and I personally like them! To each their own. I understand why some people don’t.

My current job doesn’t care about piercings or tattoos, I mean to some extent I think the bosses think they’re cool. I think you should never have to cover up or take out piercings for jobs, unless the tattoo is some sort of hate signal etc etc. but yeah anyways I hope I made sense I’m really tired and can’t type well rn 😅 or think.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah and also when I did get my septum I was 19 and my mom made me cry by calling me a cow

I’ve been waiting since quarantine to get my daith pierced. As for tattoos I have one I don’t like and want to get covered. I used to work for a tattoo artist who would do makeup up on the face and I’d get to hear the screams. Kinda turned me off tattoos for awhile.

Omg you're just my doppleganger lol
I don't care too much about anything on my calf not being hidden as I don't wear skirts or dresses and as a teacher, won't be wearing shorts.
That's what I thought when I was reading your post 😂 well... except for liking septum piercings lol
I don't think maki dresses or long skirts are inappropriate for work in a school setting, but I agree with the shorts part... I hope no teacher wears shorts to work .-.
Although, I do tend to get cold really easy and living in Texas (I've shared this before on other threads, so I don't mind sharing this info here) means ALL building have their AC on at the coldest temperature .-. I actually have to wear jackets/blazers when doing observations at certain schools... so wearing maxi dresses to work might be out of the equation for me 😅
Post automatically merged:

I’ve been waiting since quarantine to get my daith pierced. As for tattoos I have one I don’t like and want to get covered. I used to work for a tattoo artist who would do makeup up on the face and I’d get to hear the screams. Kinda turned me off tattoos for awhile.
A classmate of mine had the most beautiful "eyeliner" tattoo I've ever seen. It was very light brown and if she wanted to changeup the shape she could easily do it with very little cover up because of how light it was. It looked very natural, so I asked her about it and she told me it didn't hurt... so either she was lying to me or she has a high pain tolerance 😅

Last edited:
It's your body and your choice. Piercings/tattoos are cool and while some of them might be way too extreme for my taste, it's a person's right and choice whether they want something or not. I judge people based on character and mot appearance anyway.

I, myself, only have my ears pierced. I want more piercings but honestly, I've already stopped wearing regular earrings because I'm too lazy and I don't want to create holes on my ears/face if I'm not going to actually use them. As for tattoos, I have zero. I do wish I could get some but the issue is I haven't figured out a design I'm willing to commit to forever and I'm really terrified I'll end up regretting something. So I haven't made that step yet. I don't think I'd ever get a sleeve, although I wish I could have the courage to do it, since they look badass. But I doubt I'd get anything more than little tattoos if I ever decide to do it.

As for is it professional, I can't exactly see how tattoos/piercings would affect someone's ability to do their job or their work ethic. However, I think certain professions are way more strict when it comes to appearances. I don't think having tattoos visible is an issue in a classroom though. Body tattoos aren't as seen as "unprofessional" usually anymore by many people so it's pointless to make people cover them up. However, face tattoos and extreme piercings are less "acceptable" in a lot of professions such as lawyers and doctors and other businesses and therefore does decrease chances of being hired for those jobs. Not at all because it's a reflection of bad character, but because of the stigma around it. It's unfortunate but it is how it is. Maybe years from now that won't be the case!

And your mom might have hated it once or even still but the fact she's willing to *try* to accept it and be supportive really is progress. A lot of parents never change their minds and always remain judgmental. And while your mom doesn't like it, I think it shows she loves you enough to make the effort and let you be who you want to be instead of force you to follow what her expectations are. It's okay she doesn't like it as long as she loves you and supports your decisions to do with your body as you please.

I have my ears pierced on the lobes. Just a typical thing. No tattoos ever as I'm afraid of needles and am way too indecisive on picking a design for one.

It seems society is getting more relaxed towards the idea of piercings & tattoos or maybe I'm just in a bubble. My work has no restrictions for body mods and I don't plan on working in a field that requires me to restrict myself. My boyfriend has tattoo's on his arms and his office didn't care at all, even at the interview. I see tattooed people everywhere.

I only have 1 tattoo currently but my ears were stretched for 9 years. During quarantine they got upset and I chose to let them close. Surprisingly they closed 100% in just 3 months. I used to have my septum pierced but I have allergies and it turned out not to be the piercing for me.

My mom hated all my piercings, especially the septum. She said I looked like a bull lol. She doesn't care about me looking professional but she genuinely thinks it makes people look ugly. I hid my small tattoo for months but eventually forgot and accidentally wore a t-shirt to see her. Her response was surprisingly not too bad. I think she's slowly warming up to the idea. Some people just need time to realize tattoo's & piercings on others don't matter at all.

I don't have any piercings or tattoos. Honestly, I can't see myself getting any. I'm not sure if I like any one image enough to have it on my body for the rest of my life. And, due to some bad experiences as a kid with vaccinations, I have a major phobia with needles. I'm not anti-vaxx at all! I just get very anxious whenever I go for immunizations (like, panic attack anxious). I am fine with sewing needles and needles at the dentist, but I really would like to avoid having a panic attack at the piercing parlour...

Honestly, I do think that some tattoos or piercings can be unprofessional, but it really depends on their subject matter, the job a person is working, and the way they present themselves. For example, if someone had a visible tattoo with curse words on it, I would absolutely not find that professional in any circumstance. Face tattoos do not seem professional to me at all either (except for tattooed makeup).

I agree with you that some of the more unconventional piercings could look unprofessional as well, and I totally agree about the septum piercing looking like a cow ring!

As for tattoos and piercings in education, I had teachers in school with both. I went to a private school, so I'm not sure if other schools in the district had similar allowances for their teachers or not. They were all younger teachers, and it was all pretty tastefully done - like a butterfly on the ankle or a nose stud. There was a rumour that one of our teachers had a lip ring that he had taken out, but I can't confirm or deny that one. It's also totally possible he took it out for other reasons other than professionalism.

All I have are two piercings on each earlobe and I never wear earrings anymore because they bother me. But I do think piercings and tattoos look cool if done well.

I think both can be tastefully done and shouldn't be seen as unprofessional unless they are obscene or offensive. Although, I think most face tattoos are going a bit too far, but that's because other than make-up tattoos the only face tattoos I've seen are usually gang members.

Honestly, I couldn't care less if someone has piercings, tattoos, or other body modifications. As long as they are capable of doing their job, that's all that should matter.

I like them. I have a few small tattoos and some piercings (nostril, septum, lobe). I felt that once I did my first piercing and tattoo, it really helped me feel like me, if that makes sense. That I realised this was my kind of thing that I should have done sooner.

im gonna get a tattoo when i feel old enough (only 18 cx), not sure if my parents would agree to that but they stopped caring a while ago lmao. my mom has several ear piercings, so i dont think she has a reason to argue when i get some; ive always wanted a tongue piercing, scared to get it tho lolol

I have my lobes and one cartilage pierced rn. In the future I want to get 2 tattoos that I've been stuck on for literal months now, 2 more lobe piercings, one for each ear, and possibly more cartilage piercings. I love how simple and pretty some piercings are and they're fun to mix and match with, esp when you have multiple. If I had more I would coordinate them with my outfits (if I was going out) or change them out when I'm bored.

That said I find certain piercings off putting like the collarbone, cheeks and hips. The other ones like lip, nose (I think the rod that goes in the side of the nose with a little gem stud is actually really pretty, it's small and doesn't draw alot of attention, it's a simple pretty) and ears are fine, in moderation. I still find the HUGE gauges off putting. If you can stick your hand throu it, it's too much. I would never get those kinds of piercings on myself. After I heard the way belly piercings are done, I would also never get that myself.

Unless the tattoo is obscene like nudity, pin-up, some sort of hate symbol or just plain vulgar, then I typically don't see a problem with it. Even full on sleeves are nice, if done right. It's really stupid of someone to judge another person's professionalism and work ability based on what they do with their body. All because someone has many piercings in odd places, or obscene tattoos, does not mean they aren't professional, like lawyers.

I don't plan on getting any myself. Someone else wants to get them, that's perfectly fine. I don't think they're unprofessional, once you have a tattoo it's basically a part of your body.

Last edited:
i have 3 tattoos and like 15 piercings (mostly on my ears, but i have my nose and my septum done too, and a couple more discreet body piercings)

i work in a v professional & formal environment and have never had an issue. when people realise i have tattoos they're always quite surprised, because the first impression i give off is apparently not of somebody who would be into tattoos/piercings lol

i'm getting older now, so i will probably remove some of my piercings over the next couple of years bc i don't want to have facial piercings in my 30s lol

i like my tattoos, i have one on my shoulder, one on the inside of my elbow and one behind my ear. the only one i worry about professionally is the one behind my ear, because it's so close to my face, and i reget it sometimes for that reason. that said, it's never caused me any problems in jobs so

neither of my parents have tattoos (they're in their 60s so it's SUPER uncommon in ireland for their generation) and while my dad doesn't really care about mine, my mom hates tattoos so much
she does accept that mine are small and discreet so she doesn't DESPISE them, as far as tattoos go

edit: forgot to add that i hide my septum at work by flipping it up. idk if they'd care but i just do it anyway bc it doesn't suit the environment imo

Last edited:
rib tattoos are painful af

Intend to get one on my thigh but I think it's harder to conceal esp when wearing dresses/skirts. I think tattoos are fine if they can be concealed I guess. Situational

Back