• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

oh my gosh, i am feeling so freaked out.

flimsical

(◡‿◡✿)
Bells
Tasty Cake
i'm due to get surgery at the very end of this month - a laparoscopy to be specific.
i have a ridiculously irrational fear of anything to do with veins,
so the idea of having a cannula in my arm and hand is making me feel nervous + quite sick, tbh.
i literally feel like crying just at the thought of it lol!

i know i have a while before i'm due to go in, but i can't help but feel freaked out;
are there any sort of relaxation tips out there that might help me?
i feel ridiculous haha, but it's just something i can't help
:c i crey.

The doctors will put you in sleep mode so you won't feel anything at all
just dont really think about it i guess

Listen to an album that makes you feel calm (I like anything by Beach House, check out Devotion by them if you want!) I'm getting surgery too very soon and also am scared of needles and I'm just staying busy and not thinking about it! Try taking a bath the night before, listen to their instructions, use lavender scented things they're very relaxing, chat w your friends/ family.

I've never had surgery (besides dental surgery to extract a tooth), but I have had an endoscopy done, which is where they stick a small camera connected to a tube down your throat and into your stomach. I had to be sedated so I would relax and not fight the doctors, and I was given something else to prevent me from remembering the procedure, as it can be a traumatizing experience for many people (though i do still remember bits and pieces).

I felt so much anxiety before the endoscopy because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to breathe with a tube down my throat, but at the same time, I trusted the medical professionals performing the procedure on me. Any career in the medical field requires years of commitment to education and continued learning in their chosen field. Hopefully that fact offers you the comfort it did for me :3

Do some research on the procedure before it's done on you, so you know what to expect, and how you should feel afterwords. Knowledge leaves little room for irrational fear. Most importantly, mentally prepare yourself for it. Don't avoid thinking about it because it's scary, or nerve wracking. You might even try visualizing yourself getting it done to desensitize yourself to it ahead of time. Regardless of what you choose to do to prepare yourself for it, know that you'll be healthier in the end for having it done, and thus it's worth it. Best of luck! :D

Last edited:
it's not the pain that bothers me per se, mostly because i'm in an almost constant state of pain anyway, i know anaesthetic is the best thing for me...plus i don't think it's actually possible to not have it administered for this procedure. BUT STILL.
thank you all though, i'm sure i'll be fine on the day, it's just the build up y'know?
plus they already gave me the pre-op assessment, which consisted of them taking my blood (why. just leave my veins alone!) i'm not sure why they did it so early on either because it's usually carried out a week or two before the surgery, chances are i'll probably have to get it done again /sobbing.
i've read what the whole procedure consists of and it's really not that bad, in terms of complexity, but like i say it's just the vein thing lol c:
the surgery is basically just to poke around inside of my abdomen to see if i have endometriosis, it's been an ongoing thing for so many years now and now i'm finally getting something, hopefully, done for it. that is if it turns out to be endo, if not i have NO idea what else it could be, but at least i'll be in the right place and they'll be able to identify what's going on.
i'll count down the days and by the time the 31st is here i'll be completely desensitised to it. at least that's my plan...

Last edited:
Listen to this extended.[video]https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=u8S1IjOlzHA[/video]

Last edited:
Back