• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

nookazon drama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bells
Small Mailbox
Cake
Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 5.43.49 PM.png

discord admins are banning people speaking out against the protests and riots happening across the U.S

thoughts??

Honestly, BLM issues are too controversial for discussion. I can see why they deleted those posts. Whether you stand for the protests or denounce rioting as “terrorism”, it’s best not to discuss it. I wouldn’t take sides on the issue this time (because the four police officers were evil, but I would never support looting and vandalism by all means), but discussing this can incite heated arguments, which the internet doesn’t need anymore of.

That tweet from Sonny is just asking for trouble. To call for a boycott against Nookazon over their moderation of these posts is extremely disrespectful. They are also associating video game fansites with politics rather than with video gaming. That right here is very dangerous. You are allowed to discuss your experience with video game fansites anywhere you want, but to smear them is not okay. I hope Twitter removes this tweet as soon as they can.

Honestly, BLM issues are too controversial for discussion. I can see why they deleted those posts. Whether you stand for the protests or denounce rioting as “terrorism”, it’s best not to discuss it. I wouldn’t take sides on the issue this time (because the four police officers were evil, but I would never support looting and vandalism by all means), but discussing this can incite heated arguments, which the internet doesn’t need anymore of.

That tweet from Sonny is just asking for trouble. To call for a boycott against Nookazon over their moderation of these posts is extremely disrespectful. They are also associating video game fansites with politics rather than with video gaming. That right here is very dangerous. You are allowed to discuss your experience with video game fansites anywhere you want, but to smear them is not okay. I hope Twitter removes this tweet as soon as they can.

highly doubt twitter is gonna do anything about these tweets but it seems like some of this discussion was posted in the off-topic section of the server which is a different story. I agree off-topic discussion shouldn't be in normal trading threads but BLM in general isn't and shouldn't be a controversial issue. It's literally a human rights and civil rights violation. Similar with HK protests in Animal Crossing, people should be able talk freely about it in designated threads. The violence aspect of these protests ofc is something else.

If you consider BLM as "controversial" that is a part of the problem. People being hurt and murdered should not be considered controversial. Animal crossing players come in all shades, so to call a percentage of us players "controversial" is a load a bs, we should be able to express ourselves during this horrible time in an off topic section, and not told to take it elsewhere cause people don't wanna hear truth. People acting like this is nothing is starting to piss me off.

I've never really understood why people think that just because you're in an Animal Crossing community, it means you have to discuss AC things only and not what's going on in the world. I personally think that it adds a lot of depth to the community being able to discuss problems by being able to connect with people on a less superficial level i.e. not just talking about gaming. As we know from here, a lot of the community is 16+ years, thus they're at the age to have opinions and know what's going on in the world. Deleting everyone's comments is not the way to handle it at all. I can see why, as they're probably trying to avoid heated arguments about the riots. But it should've been dealt with on a case by case basis. For example, if a heated argument did break out, punish the respective people involved based on who was in the right and who was in the wrong. Straight up deleting content seems like a lazy approach to me. On a side note, if they let it run as is, wouldn't that be a way to weed out problematic members?

highly doubt twitter is gonna do anything about these tweets but it seems like some of this discussion was posted in the off-topic section of the server which is a different story. I agree off-topic discussion shouldn't be in normal trading threads but BLM in general isn't and shouldn't be a controversial issue. It's literally a human rights and civil rights violation. Similar with HK protests in Animal Crossing, people should be able talk freely about it in designated threads. The violence aspect of these protests ofc is something else.
You’re right. Usually, BLM discussions tend to get heated when people chant hatred towards white people or when they support the violence done by the looters and vandals, but this time, there is no supporting the police. Everyone is going to back George Floyd and oppose the cops, so there could hardly be any controversy. If even the right-wing media is siding against the cops over the death of a black person, there’s definitely a problem with the cops. However, if anyone is against George Floyd, that’s when discussions like these become a problem.

Back to the subject on how Nookazon is handling it, I think they’re trying to prevent any heated discussions, but they don’t understand that nobody is going to side with the four cops. The only thing that concerns me is how Sonny is handling the issue. Calling for a boycott against a fansite and smearing it is not the right thing to do. Now Nookazon will be associated for silencing BLM voices than trading villagers or items. That can ruin the site, and chances are, some trolls who know very little about Animal Crossing may flood it. If you were to smear another video game fansite like this, and something like that happens, you are liable for it.

After reading this, all I can say is Yikes

You’re right. Usually, BLM discussions tend to get heated when people chant hatred towards white people or when they support the violence done by the looters and vandals, but this time, there is no supporting the police. Everyone is going to back George Floyd and oppose the cops, so there could hardly be any controversy. If even the right-wing media is siding against the cops over the death of a black person, there’s definitely a problem with the cops. However, if anyone is against George Floyd, that’s when discussions like these become a problem.

Back to the subject on how Nookazon is handling it, I think they’re trying to prevent any heated discussions, but they don’t understand that nobody is going to side with the four cops. The only thing that concerns me is how Sonny is handling the issue. Calling for a boycott against a fansite and smearing it is not the right thing to do. Now Nookazon will be associated for silencing BLM voices than trading villagers or items. That can ruin the site, and chances are, some trolls who know very little about Animal Crossing may flood it. If you were to smear another video game fansite like this, and something like that happens, you are liable for it.
You would think constant people dying at the hands of racists and cops would cause concern, but it's more important not to boycott a discord because they don't want a heated arguement between people defending hate crimes and blatant racism and people of color? that doesn't make sense.
People of color also play this game, they are also being hurt by systemic racism. But let's not have people think nookazon is slience blm oh no.

When poc talk about blm they want to educate people. And somehow other people brush it off and instigate arguments on how to not talk about blm in an open off topic server.

Let it be know that nookazon was really quick to sensor blm but somehow never had a sensor for the n word which someone let slip. But cool, let's just play animal crossing lets not talk about what actually happening to the people that play the game outside of the game, what you're turnip price instead?

That way of thinking makes me sick.

i think whats really “dangerous” is the systematic, and institutionalized racism/ oppression that poc are having to face everyday.

and i also think we should assess our privilege a bit more if this is our greatest concern atm.

You would think constant people dying at the hands of racists and cops would cause concern, but it's more important not to boycott a discord because they don't want a heated arguement between people defending hate crimes and blatant racism and people of color? that doesn't make sense.
People of color also play this game, they are also being hurt by systemic racism. But let's not have people think nookazon is slience blm oh no.

When poc talk about blm they want to educate people. And somehow other people brush it off and instigate arguments on how to not talk about blm in an open off topic server.

Let it be know that nookazon was really quick to sensor blm but somehow never had a sensor for the n word which someone let slip. But cool, let's just play animal crossing lets not talk about what actually happening to the people that play the game outside of the game, what you're turnip price instead?

That way of thinking makes me sick.

It’s a good thing TBT allows discussions like this. If you’re getting fed up with oppression against minorities, you have the right to voice your opinion, and you can do it here too. Since nobody is going to support the cops that killed him, a discussion like this will last long. Just watch for extreme opinions and posts siding in favor of oppression. That’s when it becomes a problem.

I can understand why Nookazon might want to limit discussions on the site to non-political matters. In some circles, BLM is a controversial movement. Even if we all agree that what happened to George Floyd was abhorrent, discussion of current events can still get very heated, such as on discussions about the legitimacy of violent protest actions/whether they are effective in advancing particular goals, protesters and COVID-19, the role of policing, etc. Statements like ACAB are absolutely controversial to some people. Heck, what an individual deems to be/to not be controversial is also controversial! It strongly depends on your social outlook, the information that you are exposed to, and the circles that you run in.

There are plenty of other websites/servers out there which do not allow the discussion of political matters on their website/server, but that is a rule that has been clearly set out and monitored from the beginning. Flight Rising is one example - it has always been clear that they want their game to be an escape for real world events, and so do not tolerate discussions of religion or politics on their site, even in off-topic discussion boards. To me, that is a justifiable choice to make.

That being said, I don't think that Nookazon handled this event in an appropriate fashion, deleting comments discussing the ban. If Nookazon did not want political matters to be discussed on their server/site, why wasn't that rule made clear from the beginning, especially as other politically controversial events have happened since its establishment? Why only BLM, and not say, discussions about COVID-19 and country reopening or the recent Hong Kong security laws?

lt's also justifiable for people to step away from Nookazon and boycott the site if they are uncomfortable or upset with its political stance. I can understand why people would want to discuss such a topical and important issue though, as it's something that matters to many individuals.

At the end of the day though, since I'm not sure about the context of how the drama occurred, so I'm not sure if I can really make a judgement about what happened.

This is all coming from a non-American POC, by the way, if that matters at all.

I wonder how little support Nookazon will face after all this. I know Animal Crossing Community was losing support because of their harsh moderation system and for staying the same for years.

Oh, I forgot to add this to my argument: I do not like receiving criticism. People may support these kind of discussions. People may oppose these kind of discussions. But it doesn’t make you any better to attack others that don’t agree with you. I’m not against discussing BLM or boycotting Nookazon. I’m only against smearing other sites.

Last edited:
I wonder how little support Nookazon will face after all this. I know Animal Crossing Community was losing support because of their harsh moderation system and for staying the same for years.

Oh, I forgot to add this to my argument: I do not like receiving criticism. People may support these kind of discussions. People may oppose these kind of discussions. But it doesn’t make you any better to attack others that don’t agree with you.

criticism does not equal attacks. like you said, if we able to have discussions about these things on TBT then people are bound to have different opinions. No one is attacking you, just disagreeing. Be open to hear what they’re saying

Banning the discussion on the #BLM movement, along with recent events regarding the death of George Floyd and the protest not only limits the amount of exposure the movement has but also undermines the struggle POC face when interacting with police. By banning the discussion, they were silencing the voices in the movement, even if it wasn't intentional.

Regarding the nookazon incident, they provided an update in their announcement tab:
@Member Nookzonians, we hear you. We want to assure you that Nookazon is supportive of the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement. Our intention was not to remain complicit or silence views during this political climate—our team was unprepared for a response to current events of this magnitude, which led to excessive moderation. We apologize for any deleted comments and the removal of meaningful discourse, genuine warnings, and signs of solidarity with the BLM movement.

We acknowledge the importance of creating a safe space to have these conversations and educate each other on current events. Therefore, we have created a channel called #current-event where users can discuss politics, social justice, and human rights issues in a safe and constructive manner. To join the #current-event channel, you must opt-in to participate by clicking the check mark emoji in the #current-event channel. While this channel provides an open platform to discuss important topics, we will not tolerate profanity or any form of hate speech. Our community guidelines define hate speech as vulgar, derogatory, disrespectful speech toward users. This includes, but is not limited to, any opinions or statements that disrespect a race, ethnicity, sexuality, religion, or orientation.

Although we cannot retract the harm caused by our actions, our team promises to be more explicit in showing solidarity with BLM and continue to educate ourselves on issues related to racial inequity and systemic oppression. To further support the communities currently in need, Nookazon staff members are collectively donating $500 toward the fundraiser sites listed in our statement which can be found here: https://bit.ly/nookazonblm2020

Thank you for your constructive feedback; we hear each and every one of your concerns and will do better.

In solidarity,
The Nookazon Team
Whether or not you support the movement, censoring the discussion does not benefit no one and only harms the movement.

I personally support the #BLM movement and wish all cops be held accountable for their actions, especially all the cops who murdered George Floyd. No one should be above the law, especially the cops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back