• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Nintendo Switch General Discussion

OMG THIS IS SO COOL! LIKE WTF WAT EVERYONE HAS BEEN WAITING FOR. Nintendo is finally making a comeback

this looks like a great idea. the power of a console with the transportability of a handheld is exactly what nintendo needed to shake things up. i'm excited to see more information about this and to see which new features they'll add. roll on 2017!

I'm not convinced it could play Wii U games, unless Nintendo proves otherwise. Nintendo Switch is shown to support game cards, rather than using discs. It's also worth noting that the Mario Kart and Splatoon game looks like they're ported from Wii U with minor additions.

They're likely just ports of Wii U games, so, you'll have to buy them again.

It's takes cartridges, so adding a disc drives for backwards compatibility would do nothing but crank up the price.

I'll take some ports to. I don't have a Wii U and there was some games that I wanted for it. Since I saw Mario Kart and stuff, I'm tempted. I like how its both TV and Hand Held. Kind of makes in easy for busy families.

I'm definitely getting it, price just determines how soon I can afford it. I'm looking forward to not having to buy games for two consoles.

Really excited for this I was holding out on buying a wii u when I heard about the nx and now I can finally start saving up money for it. I hope this will get more games from 3rd parties and such and hope we can buy wii u games through the Nintendo store.

Last edited:
I really hope we get to play elder scrolls skyrim on it, Even though it was in the trailer the game actually wasn't announced to be released for the console.

I really hope we get to play elder scrolls skyrim on it, Even though it was in the trailer the game actually wasn't announced to be released for the console.

Yea, apparantly it was just Bethesda's way of saying that they will be making content for the Switch. No confirmation on Skyrim but I feel many people think it's coming...maybe not on launch but coming for sure. My local ebgames in Australia is taking preorders on a few games, a proper controller, and the Switch itself.

Gonna be great if they actually make the release date of March, the Wii was slated for a certain date then pushed back from memory where I am, was a while back now...

I really like the idea of it, but there's a few things that bother me:
- The portability of it. That's a big-ass screen. Do I have to have a special large handbag to carry my Nintendo Switch around?
- Will it be easy to replace parts? One of the big annoyances that some Wii U owners had was how much of a nightmare it was to replace the Wii U gamepad if it happened to break. I hope Nintendo will have worked out a better system for this console.
- The games. The trailer showed a few games that I'd be interested in (Zelda, MK8 with more content, new Mario), but all in all it was only 5 or 6 games showed. It depends on what games they announce for it in the first year or two that'll make or break it.

I love the idea of a hybrid console, and I love that they decided on using cartridges instead of discs. I want them to succeed with this and yet I still remain skeptical because of what happened with the Wii U.

YES!!!! ANOTHER WAY TO LOSE MY SOCIAL LIFE AND TO EMPTY MY WALLET!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOO!!! No but honestly I'm so excited, and personally, I think this is going to be an absolute game-changer and will put Nintendo back on top (that's how it's supposed to be)!!!

This is so cool! I have actually been secretly wishing all this time that the Wii U could be both a console and handheld, but I honestly thought it would never happen. But what do you know, it actually did! Can't wait until I finally get this thing! Sure I'll be broke for a while but oh well :'D

Yeah I got excited seeing that, trying not to get my hopes up in case nothing comes of it though.

Really looking forward to the Switch regardless.

I actually really like the tiny pull off controllers. It looks cool, like a step in the right direction but I don't really care unless it has good games which so far it looks promising.

I really like the idea of it, but there's a few things that bother me:
- The portability of it. That's a big-ass screen. Do I have to have a special large handbag to carry my Nintendo Switch around?

The console itself clearly can't pocketed for sure. From what I've seen, the device is almost as long as the Wii U GamePad is, but seems to be less wider and thinner. If you can't stand carrying it like you would with an average tablet, might as well chuck it in your handbag, backpack or whatever type of bag you'd like to throw. At least, you won't carrying tonnes of cables like with any previous home console.

- Will it be easy to replace parts? One of the big annoyances that some Wii U owners had was how much of a nightmare it was to replace the Wii U gamepad if it happened to break. I hope Nintendo will have worked out a better system for this console.

The reason for Wii U GamePad being difficult to replace was how expensive the thing was, mainly because it had most of the same components you would find on any Nintendo portable device built-in the GamePad.
I'm inclined to believe that the tech inside the Joy-Cons aren't likely to be expensive, therefore they'll be more likely showing up in stores. And even if the Joy-Cons are gone, you could settle for a Switch Pro Controller, despite being forced to find a table for your screen device to sit on. I'm also pretty sure that if your screen device broke, then the Nintendo Consumer Support would easily have a spare screen device for that, should that thing end up being beyond repair.

It's been a day Nintendo Switch has been revealed, and more information (including rumors) about it have been dropped.

• No more official announcement from Nintendo about the Switch for the remainder of 2016
  • Switch will support Unreal Engine 4
  • The handheld device of Switch will have a maximum battery life of 3 hours (rumor)
  • The handheld device will support multi-touch screen (rumor)
  • Switch will come with Dock and Joy-Cons, while Joy-Con Grip isn't confirmed to be bundled with
  • No physical backwards compatibility for Switch; this means no Wii/Wii U discs, no DS/3DS game cards, although supporting the digital version of those games is possible

Source 1: http://nintendoeverything.com/ninte...ments-this-year-on-games-or-specs-for-switch/
Source 2: http://nintendoeverything.com/switch-will-support-unreal-engine-4/
Source 3-4: http://nintendoeverything.com/rumor...m-battery-life-of-3-hours-multi-touch-screen/
Source 5: http://nintendoeverything.com/switc...n-controllers-joy-con-grip-accessory-unknown/
Source 6: http://nintendoeverything.com/ninte...bility-for-switch-no-comment-on-mobile-games/

Oh man... I was really worried about the NX, but this trailer has me 1000% on board! It looks so awesome, and I love how versatile it seems to be! The trailer also makes it seems as though Nintendo is (finally) marketing themselves to the young adult crowd that grew up with them and still loves them! The only thing I hope they add is some kind of peripheral that will let you play Wii U games on it. I skipped the Wii U because it wasn't backwards compatible to Gamecube, but there are some Wii U games I really want to play! I;m really hoping I won't be forced to buy a Wii U anyway! ^-^

really digging the design tbh, i'm glad they went for the dual console/handheld option overall. the launch titles look pretty good too, pretty excited for splatoon and mario kart, even if they're just ports bc i never had a wii u lol

Back