• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Nintendo : no new hardware will launch this fiscal year

Boccages

Bells
Switch
0347-4629-2695
Silver Mailbox
Pear (Fruit)
Orange (Fruit)
Mailbox
Nintendo has released its Q1 results

Here's the takeaway
  • Nintendo Switch sales are slowing down, and more quickly so than Nintendo anticipated
  • Nintendo said that Holiday 2022 sales were disappointing
  • Nintendo does not think they will be able to match their initial sales target for 2023
  • Nintendo's president (Furukawa) said no new hardware will be released by Nintendo during this fiscal year (so, no new Nintendo Switch 2 until at least April 2024)
Regarding the Nintendo Switch 2 (unconfirmed name)
Nikkei Asia reported this morning that the new Nintendo console's is coming together along nicely, but not to expect a launch before Spring 2024 (which aligns with what Nintendo's president said this morning.
Post automatically merged:

Which means, I'm going to extrapolate from those reports :

New Nintendo console (let's call it Nintendo Switch 2 for kicks and giggles)
I'm going to suggest we shouldn't expect any kind of announcement from Nintendo until the end of this year for a launch in the Spring or next Summer

Animal Crossing on Nintendo Switch 2
I don't think the new console will launch with an Animal Crossing game. Production on Splatoon 3 winded down about a year ago. So I don't think we'll see a new Animal Crossing game until 2025. But, that doesn't mean Nintendo won't showcase the new title when it inevitable announces the Nintendo Switch 2.

Given that the cost of living has sky rocketed, I'm not surprised to see their sales not reaching their target. This seems to be the case everywhere. It'll be interesting to see if Nintendo "ditches" the Switch quickly or tries to revive sales.

It is sad the BOTW sequel will launch on the same hardware from 2017, that can barely run BOTW at a solid 60fps.

I really hope they found a way to improve the engine and optimization. Honestly, the original BOTW was actually just a Wii U game that was ported to the Switch. Perhaps they held back on the orginal BOTW due to that, and won't have the same restraints in Tears of the Kingdom.

Do you think it's possible we'll learn anything more about the new console in September?

I wonder how they'll top the Switch's library. So many games are going to have tough legacies to live up to (Mario Odyssey, ACNH, Splatoon, Pokemon, etc.).
I think every Animal Crossing game will top itself. NH should definitely be an easy one seeing as a large amount of players found it inferior to New Leaf.

It is sad the BOTW sequel will launch on the same hardware from 2017, that can barely run BOTW at a solid 60fps.

I really hope they found a way to improve the engine and optimization. Honestly, the original BOTW was actually just a Wii U game that was ported to the Switch. Perhaps they held back on the orginal BOTW due to that, and won't have the same restraints in Tears of the Kingdom.

Do you think it's possible we'll learn anything more about the new console in September?

I think every Animal Crossing game will top itself. NH should definitely be an easy one seeing as a large amount of players found it inferior to New Leaf.
I'm very curious if Nintendo has really made their console more powerful. I have huge doubts lol. Will it still be the weakest link? Will ports for the new console still suck? Who knows.

tbh I've been thinking the next Switch is coming out at the end of next year for a while now (based off of the fact that the Mario Kart Booster Pass has until the end of this year, and Splatoon 3's getting updates until next September with a final Splatfest next December), so yeah, on one hand it's good to hear confirmation that it's probably coming out sometime in the next 18 months.

After Tears Of The Kingdom launches on Friday, we've got Pikmin 4 in July and some DLC for previously released games like Pokèmon, and very potentially (given they released a remaster of the first one) Metroid Prime 4, so I'm honestly curious as to what's actually going to release for the Switch August to December?

I think the next Animal Crossing game's not far off from that, tbh. Might actually be almost exactly 5 years after NH came out, so a gap slightly longer than the one between LGTTC and NL rather than the gap between NL and NH... but sometime in 2025, is what I'm feeling.

I also hope that they drop the paid online and make the online stuff and those emulators free on the next console. Nintendo was the LAST company I expected a paid membership from, but I just hope they drop it soon.

I also hope that they drop the paid online and make the online stuff and those emulators free on the next console. Nintendo was the LAST company I expected a paid membership from, but I just hope they drop it soon.
I don't even mind paying for a server or good upkeep but I'm still not sure what we're paying Nintendo for when it's still P2P with lackluster features.

I bet they were wanting to wait till 2025 for launching brand new hardware. Interesting statements. I wonder if the next console will be an improved switch like thing, or something super gimmicky. If it seems to similar to the switch that we have now, and how many people don't have much money due to economy, it may not sell well.
I also wonder if they will increase the price of physical games, and have them launch after digital games. And/or if they would consider selling digital games on other platformers too for a higher price than on the Nintendo platform.

Unpopular opinion, maybe, but I'd rather they not release new hardware. I'm not sure how it'll work out either, considering the current cost of living crisis in many places. It would be nicer if they focused on improving the non-hardware features that are already there to make it feel really worth it.

Like the Online membership. It just doesn't feel worth it if you don't play online a ton, the price is really steep for what's on offer. I just want to get some custom patterns in NH and that doesn't necessarily justify the price, especially nowadays. The retro games included with the more expensive plan feel kind of lacking.

Well they're getting close to the time when they start releasing the next system.
N64 - 6 years
Gamecube - 6 years
Wii - 7 years
Wii U - 5 years (Was not a very successful system or launch)
The Switch is already close 2017-2023 is 6 years. So next year will be 7. They're probably already in the making of it.

Well they're getting close to the time when they start releasing the next system.
N64 - 6 years
Gamecube - 6 years
Wii - 7 years
Wii U - 5 years (Was not a very successful system or launch)
The Switch is already close 2017-2023 is 6 years. So next year will be 7. They're probably already in the making of it.
I think the system is mostly done, and they will start manufacturing it in the Fall.

Hmm I wanna be honest here: Nintendo tends to be a little ... "arrogant" when it comes to their estimations.
The numbers they planned with for last/this year were WAY to high. Sure, Zelda is a system seller but we haven't got too many of those recently before that and most people who were still on the fence about the system at least got one, when the latest model (the OLED Switch) dropped. At this point they'll have to gap the time until they reveal /launch a new system next year. Here's hoping that they learned their lesson from that PR disaster that was the WiiU (marketing for that console was unbearable and almost killed the system by itself).

I wonder what will come out earlier - Nintendo's successor or PS5 pro. Both are highly enticipated by me:)

I wanted a PS5 so badly but that controller KILLS my small/feminine hands faster than a torture instrument. The problem is that Sony ONLY accepts real PS5 controllers for PS5 games and never presented a slimmer/lighter controller for the system. This stupid reason alone forced me to abandon their lineup and finally upgrade my PC (and that I sure did - now the PS5 feels obsolete to me).

Hmm I wanna be honest here: Nintendo tends to be a little ... "arrogant" when it comes to their estimations.
The numbers they planned with for last/this year were WAY to high. Sure, Zelda is a system seller but we haven't got too many of those recently before that and most people who were still on the fence about the system at least got one, when the latest model (the OLED Switch) dropped. At this point they'll have to gap the time until they reveal /launch a new system next year. Here's hoping that they learned their lesson from that PR disaster that was the WiiU (marketing for that console was unbearable and almost killed the system by itself).
Oh 100% they are. They're under the assumption we'll buy anything they pump out because "we love Nintendo." That loyalty can only hang on for so long and it's nice to see something change, even if it's little. Nintendo won't go bankrupt anytime soon of course, but it'll be interesting to see what happens, especially given the current state of things (constantly rising prices, low wages).

Oh 100% they are. They're under the assumption we'll buy anything they pump out because "we love Nintendo." That loyalty can only hang on for so long and it's nice to see something change, even if it's little. Nintendo won't go bankrupt anytime soon of course, but it'll be interesting to see what happens, especially given the current state of things (constantly rising prices, low wages).

Well sadly this is basically true tho :p
Hardcore Nintendo fans are the WORST when it comes to buying everything without question. This is how Nintendo still gets away with the most minimalistic options menus/worst online service of any big service out there.

That being said: I don't see this as a bad moment for them. Yes, they underestimated their numbers but they're doing more than fantastic still. Zelda and other titles have been a success for them this year and the Switch is still very popular even if it sells less. They could basically not announce ANYTHING for this year (which they won't thankfully) and still be more than fine financially.

Well sadly this is basically true tho :p
Hardcore Nintendo fans are the WORST when it comes to buying everything without question. This is how Nintendo still gets away with the most minimalistic options menus/worst online service of any big service out there.

That being said: I don't see this as a bad moment for them. Yes, they underestimated their numbers but they're doing more than fantastic still. Zelda and other titles have been a success for them this year and the Switch is still very popular even if it sells less. They could basically not announce ANYTHING for this year (which they won't thankfully) and still be more than fine financially.
I would be very surprised if they do not announce the new system (Switch 2) this fall if they are targeting for a release in Spring or Summer 2024.

so bizarre to think the switch has already been out long enough that we're waiting on a new console. where does the time go.

anyway, i truly wonder how anything will live up to this switch library. i feel like i've barely scratched the surface, and i've had a switch for years now. as usual, i will get a new console when there's another animal crossing game. 🙃

Switch is definitely outdated, and my original hardware is starting to show signs of wear (the fan has gotten pretty loud these days, and the battery doesn't last anywhere near as long as it used to). - That said, I'm quite content with Nintendo not releasing anything new. I don't have the money for it anyway. Lol

Switch is definitely outdated, and my original hardware is starting to show signs of wear (the fan has gotten pretty loud these days, and the battery doesn't last anywhere near as long as it used to). - That said, I'm quite content with Nintendo not releasing anything new. I don't have the money for it anyway. Lol

Interesting.
My battery is still pretty okay (granted: The original Switch didn't have a good one to begin with + I really seldom play in handheld mode) but I can't complain about my fans :-O My flat isn't the most dust-free zone ever and the console has seen its fair share of use and most often my Switch is still very silent. Or are you talking about undocked?

Interesting.
My battery is still pretty okay (granted: The original Switch didn't have a good one to begin with + I really seldom play in handheld mode) but I can't complain about my fans :-O My flat isn't the most dust-free zone ever and the console has seen its fair share of use and most often my Switch is still very silent. Or are you talking about undocked?

Undocked. I never play docked mode. Purely handheld for me. - It isn't so much that the fan is "loud" from overheating or anything. It sounds more like there is just some general age to the mechanism, and it makes a little rattling sound when it spins too fast. It usually calms down pretty quickly...but games like TotK and Pokemon Violet make it spin pretty quick upon startup.

Back