• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Nintendo Direct September 2023 Discussion Thread

A Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario remake around the same time is kinda surprising, not going to lie. I thought at first that the the Paper Mario game was just a remaster, but it looks like a full-blown remake. I'm certainly happy to see a remake instead of a remaster, I just want them to be careful messing with the gameplay, because Nintendo has led this series so far astray post-TTYD.

The Peach game looks cute. I'm not a huge fan of sidescrollers nowadays, though, which I think it is. We'll see.

Just watched the TTYD remake trailer on Friday, and I noticed something that sounds generic (emphasis on SOUNDS). In the cutscene where Koops begs Mario to take him to Hooktail Castle, the speaking sfx is the normal koopa sound, repeated. Goombella's intro scene doesn't have this, and her dialogue uses a unique sound. just realized that now lol

i don't have a switch so i probably won't be playing these :p, but hey at least we had paper mario! i hope the next one would be a mario and luigi game.

i don't have a switch so i probably won't be playing these :p, but hey at least we had paper mario! i hope the next one would be a mario and luigi game.
I’m actually thinking that a remake for Mario and Luigi Partners in Time will be next as there were hints in the other two remakes of it happening and it is extremely odd that the game was passed over for the third game in the original trilogy and there are full 3D models of the Shroobs in battle in Bowser’s Inside Story.

I’m actually thinking that a remake for Mario and Luigi Partners in Time will be next as there were hints in the other two remakes of it happening and it is extremely odd that the game was passed over for the third game in the original trilogy and there are full 3D models of the Shroobs in battle in Bowser’s Inside Story.
I want this to happen, but with Alphadream's bankruptcy I really don't think it would.

Well, it could, but I don't know if Nintendo even has the rights to the Mario & Luigi IP.
Why wouldn’t they? It’s Mario and Luigi. Any game with the Mario cast is Nintendo’s property no matter what second party studio made the game. Nintendo owned the rights to Super Mario RPG but Square Enix owned the rights to the original characters which is why it has been difficult to make Geno a fully playable fighter in the Smash Bros series and why he made cameos in the first Mario and Luigi game. The only games that have the Mario cast that Nintendo doesn’t own are the Phillips CD-i games which were horrendous to play and look at.

Why wouldn’t they? It’s Mario and Luigi. Any game with the Mario cast is Nintendo’s property no matter what second party studio made the game. Nintendo owned the rights to Super Mario RPG but Square Enix owned the rights to the original characters which is why it has been difficult to make Geno a fully playable fighter in the Smash Bros series and why he made cameos in the first Mario and Luigi game. The only games that have the Mario cast that Nintendo doesn’t own are the Phillips CD-i games which were horrendous to play and look at.
Apparently you are right. They do own the rights to Mario & Luigi, so I guess then maybe they could make a remake. With that knowledge, I think they could make a Partners in Time remake, which I'd be happy with, but I'd also love if they could make another game in the series, especially since the last two games were remakes, and the one before that, Paper Jam, was really unoriginal and had a lot of missed potential. It is definitely a good thing that they don't own the CD-i games. I don't think anyone would want to see that series get continued.

Back