• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Nintendo Direct: Partner Showcase 02/21/2024 Discussion Thread

Xara

the april fool
Bells
Golden Watering Can
White Rose
White Rose
White Rose
Yellow Rose
Prismatic Easter Egg
My Melody Easter Egg
White Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose

The first Nintendo Direct of 2024 has been announced for Wednesday at 6am PST / 9am EST, and will be roughly 25 minutes long! It’s Nintendo’s first Partner Showcase since 2022, and will focus on second/third-party Switch games coming in the first half of this year!

Will you be tuning in to Wednesday’s Direct? Do you have any predictions or hopes for it?

I’m not sure if I’ll be awake to watch it live, but I’ll definitely be watching it on my own later in the day if not! I don’t really have any predictions/hopes myself as there’s not many second/third-party games that I’m into, but I’m curious to see what games will be talked about, and if there’ll be any I’m interested in!​

Last edited:
I have no idea what a second-party game is! I don't think Nintendo made allllll of the games on the Switch? No really, what does it mean? I'm very very confused. I'm very excited for the Nintendo Direct and to find out! I always watch the Nintendo Directs, they're pretty entertaining. I wish this one was the regular amount of time, though.

I have no idea what a second-party game is! I don't think Nintendo made allllll of the games on the Switch? No really, what does it mean? I'm very very confused. I'm very excited for the Nintendo Direct and to find out! I always watch the Nintendo Directs, they're pretty entertaining. I wish this one was the regular amount of time, though.
I think second-party means things like Game Freak (Pokemon) and Intelligent Systems (Fire Emblem). I could be wrong, though.

I have no idea what a second-party game is! I don't think Nintendo made allllll of the games on the Switch? No really, what does it mean? I'm very very confused.
@/Seastar is correct! To give you a better idea of what second-party games are, I’ll also explain first-party and third-party, so that you can see the differences between the 3!

First-party: A first-party game developer is part of a company that manufactures gaming consoles, and makes games exclusive to said company’s consoles. For example, The Legend of Zelda games are first-party, because they‘re developed/published by Nintendo, and release exclusively on Nintendo consoles.

Second-party: A second-party game developer makes games exclusive to a first-party company’s consoles, but is not actually a part of said company. The second-party game developer is part of its own company, separate from the company that owns the console(s) that the game(s) release on. For example, like Seastar said, the Fire Emblem games are second-party because they’re developed by Intelligent Freaks (the second-party game developer), but they release exclusively on Nintendo (the first-party company) consoles.

Third-party: A third-party game developer makes games for more than one first-party company’s consoles. For example, Maxis/EA (who develops and releases The Sims games) is a third-party game developer because its games are available on Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony etc (first-party companies) consoles.

Hopefully this makes sense!

I hope to watch it! I continue to try and manifest the release date for FANTASY LIFE i: The Girl Who Steals Time. 🙏

I'd also be interested in seeing more for the Rune Factory/Story of Seasons franchises, and other games of a similar genre.

I will be watching it and see if there is anything
that looks interesting to stick in my steam wishlist to watch its development or reviews. Actually I have to catch up on a gaming news YouTuber, now that I think about it. I haven't been keeping up and I'm curious to know what Nintendo's plans are for this year, if they said anything about it. Or if anything has been said or leaked about their next console in general really..

I never really go into these Nintendo Directs with expectations, so I'm open to whatever. I'm into Fire Emblem, which as has been mentioned is a second-party Nintendo franchise via Intelligent Systems, so I'd like to see something new from Fire Emblem being announced, but since Engage came out last year I'm not getting my hopes up.

Here's hoping they show some interesting stuff tomorrow, whatever it is.

I love watching these Nintendo Directs and booing and sticking my tongue out at all the announced doo-doo I don't like. 😂 Nintendo Direct-ly into the bin, am I right? 😜 I really do like trash talking the clips as I watch. It's the most fun! 😁 Like "Oh boy, here we go, another anime sword fighter" or the billionth indie pixel-art game. 🙄 That is my contribution to this discussion. As much as I often dislike the content these Directs feature, I will indeed be watching it. 👍 Remember when they teased the F-Zero logo and it turned out to be F-Zero 99??? Lol, that was hilarious. Fans got falcon-punched alright. "Show me ya moves" yeah, how about you show me something else? 😂

I love watching these Nintendo Directs and booing and sticking my tongue out at all the announced doo-doo I don't like. 😂 Nintendo Direct-ly into the bin, am I right? 😜 I really do like trash talking the clips as I watch. It's the most fun! 😁 Like "Oh boy, here we go, another anime sword fighter" or the billionth indie pixel-art game. 🙄 That is my contribution to this discussion. As much as I often dislike the content these Directs feature, I will indeed be watching it. 👍 Remember when they teased the F-Zero logo and it turned out to be F-Zero 99??? Lol, that was hilarious. Fans got falcon-punched alright. "Show me ya moves" yeah, how about you show me something else? 😂
To be fair, I only get info it for the visual novels I'm opted to read and non-Nintendo games I want to try (Tsukihime remake among other things or more Fantasy Life i info). As much as I hate to break it to you, don't expect too much from a partner showcase. It's in the title.

And yes, pixel indie 'art' games do get tiresome. a billionth Earthbound-like game is enough for me to stomach.

(I think I fell for the bait, but still.)

Last edited:
I don't really have any high expectations for this one. Probably not gonna wake up early to see it

And yes, pixel indie 'art' games do get tiresome. a billionth Earthbound-like game is enough for me to stomach.
"Bait"? Yanrima, you wound me! 😱 This thread asked for my thoughts and hopes for the Direct and I have indeed done just that. 😤 Plus, you and I both agree on the pixel "art" games being enough and liking Fantasy Life. I too find that game pretty cool, so no hard feelings. 😁👍 The only bait here is the stinky smell these Directs give off, but I find enjoyment in watching them nonetheless, as I am awfully good at amusing myself. 😛

"Bait"? Yanrima, you wound me! 😱 This thread asked for my thoughts and hopes for the Direct and I have indeed done just that. 😤 Plus, you and I both agree on the pixel "art" games being enough and liking Fantasy Life. I too find that game pretty cool, so no hard feelings. 😁👍 The only bait here is the stinky smell these Directs give off, but I find enjoyment in watching them nonetheless, as I am awfully good at amusing myself. 😛

Honestly, I haven't touched a Fantasy Life game and I've heard good receptions for the first Fantasy Life so I really wanted to get into the game series but the 3ds games nowadays are rare and expensive. Normally, I just don't watch partner showcase unless it involves a game that I basically waited for more info.

I'm just glad Level 5 games hasn't been forgotten in time.

And I appreciate indie games that basically just wanted to make fun games and pushed the limit to what defines an indie game. Especially breaking out of the usual "pixel art rpg trying to be deep" model.

I truly wonder if any Level 5 games will appear here. . . if anything, i really doubt Professor Layton will be shown. although very little footage has been shown since the new game was announced, i feel as if Level 5 would rather show more footage elsewhere at this time (such as a Level 5 vision event).

Well, I watched it.
Hmm, I'm sorta interested in the re-releases of Epic Mickey and Pocket Card Jockey.

Admittedly I almost never watch these and just wait for the sparknotes afterwards ahaha—though I'm happy to hear about Fantasy Life i's release date on October 10th!! Similarly to Mar, that and any Rune Factory news were my only hopes for this Direct and I wasn't sure if there'd be either, so I'm quite pleased.

Killer Instinct on switch online is really cool. I haven't played that game in so long. Never thought it'd make a return on a nintendo system.

didn't even realize this was going on today, i missed the post on twitter i guess

nothing interested me other than pentiment on switch but i've yet to even play it

I never watch live because the time is always super early for me, I do always like to see what gets announced though! This time around I don't think there was much for me. Grounded is a game I have been eyeing up on Steam and I think I would still prefer to play on PC not Switch if I did decide to buy.

Back