• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Nintendo Direct September 2023 Discussion Thread

princess peach showtime seems fun!! i loved the different outfits and transformations she gets 🥹🥹

also spyxanya!!!!!! i love best girl anya sm so that was exciting to see hehe i love the idea of collecting pictures for her photo album with bond and penguinman 🫶

There's a lot of things I have to say.

First, the Super Mario RPG remake seems pretty cool. The only thing I think is weird is that the characters are smaller, just like in BDSP. Hopefully it doesn't end up like that game.

Peach: Showtime seems nice too. Especially the fact that Peach has different outfits. It reminds me of Barbie, especially the logo. The outfits are definitely going to be what I'm excited for most. The game looks pretty promising overall.

Cool! A Luigi's Mansion 2 remake! While I think this has potential, too, it's a little weird that there are four remakes.

It's very impressive that they managed to get Disney's permission for Sora to get an amiibo, so I can't even complain about how long ago he was added to Smash.

Kind of don't care about the series, but F-Zero is getting a revival.

I'm not really surprised at the characters coming in the Booster Pass except for Peachette.

A TTYD remake is probably enough to please the entire Paper Mario fan base. I'm not particularly really interested, but it's pretty cool since there's never been a Paper Mario remake before. I'd have been happier for a SPM remake, but this is fine, too.

Last edited:
I'm definitely gonna have to try the paper mario game. I never played it before but it looked the most interesting to me. I was secretly hoping for more mediocre story of seasons/harvest moon remakes but I guess we already got one this year. Aint nobody else want that but I do lol

My question to ask. When it comes to the new Booster Pack tracks, why is Nintendo obsessed with the Wii version of Mario Kart?

Before the direct I guess I was kinda hoping to see Side Order (which did get shown) but afterwards I keep thinking about Paper Mario. I turned on a playlist of TTYD OST. Hmm!

Hmm, I'm feeling mixed! A lot of cute stuff, but also, nothing that made me go ✨wow✨.

✅
  • Mario vs Donkey Kong. I am here for those jungle levels.
  • Final DLC for MK8D. Happy to see Diddy Kong represented! I'm not going to play as Diddy Kong, but I do have a soft spot for him.
  • Splat 3 - story mode isn't my favourite play mode, and I probably won't play it, but I would like to acknowledge how nice it looks!
  • The Super Mario RPG remake looks good! I probably won't play it straight away.
  • Princess Peach: Showtime looks cute. Peach isn't my favourite, but it's a definite purchase for me.
  • Song of Nunu looks reeaally cute and I kind of want to play it, but I haven't played League of Legends, so I won't, but I just want to acknowledge how cute it is.
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 HD is a yes for me, but it's another game I won't play straight away. Luigi's Mansion is the correct level of spooky for me. 😭
  • I never played the original, so Paper Mario: TYD is the main game I'm excited for! 🌟 Paper Mario: TYD and Princess Peach: Showtime, are the two games I'm most likely to buy and play at release.

Pretty good Direct overall, quite a few things to look forward to. Super Mario RPG Remake still looking great, Thousand Year Door Remake looks interesting. Princess Peach game looks cute. A few new RPG's to look at. Don't really have any specific standouts otherwise.

But even as a fan of F-Zero, I couldn't help but roll my eyes at the F-Zero 99 announcement. Ignoring the logistical nightmare of playing with that many people at once, after Super Mario 35, we already know that this game will be short-lived. I'm not really sure I trust Nintendo on this one. Actually, it's not even a problem exclusive to Nintendo; Pac-Man 99 also shut down just last month. One quickly begins to notice a pattern with this specific genre of games. I'm just rather disappointed that after substantiated rumors of a new F-Zero title being unveiled at this Direct, we receive this monkey's paw of a game. C'est la vie, I guess.

• Love
Reactions: Bui
My thoughts:
  • Glad to see Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door coming to the Switch since it saves me having to get a copy for the GameCube. I had been planning to get a copy eventually anyway, so cool.

• Unicorn Overlord, ridiculous name aside, looks like a good time. I enjoy tactics games so I think I might get it when it comes out.

• Princess Peach: Showtime! looks fun, I might have to get a copy in the future. Also, silly as it might be, I kind of want those different Peach outfits, particularly Swordfighter Peach, as options for the Switch user icons in the future.

• I've never played F-Zero and generally am not much for racing games, but F-Zero 99 looks kind of fun. I've enjoyed the other games of this sort like Pac-Man 99, Super Mario Bros. 35, and especially Tetris 99 which I play a lot of, so this seems neat for what it is. Taking damage from coming in contact with the other racers makes logical sense but it also sounds like a nightmare considering there are 98 other players on the track. Considering what Belle T said about Pac-Man 99 and Super Mario Bros. 35 having been shut down already, I don't see it sticking around either, but I can see having a bit of fun with it potentially while it is around. Definitely understand the disappointment regarding this for prior fans though.

• I suck at Mario Kart games, but cool to see Diddy Kong, Funky Kong and Pauline being added to the roster of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

• I'm not going to get myself a copy, but I enjoy the Spy x Family anime, so Spy x Anya: Operation Memories looked cute.

the Switch's successor has been seeming like it's coming out next year for a while now, and after this Direct, which is VERY remake-heavy, even compared to this year... yup, it's absolutely next year (I'm still banking on this time next year purely on account of Splatoon 3's update cycle lasting until then, but given the only thing coming to the Switch after the end of the 2023/2024 financial year is Luigi's Mansion 2 next summer and the TTYD remake at some point... it might be earlier)
  • nothing NSO-related, so IMO we're getting the two/three N64 games and the 3 GBA games we were promised over the next few months and we get a new roadmap in the February Direct. If I was a betting man I'd say we're getting F-Zero: Maximum Velocity this month, we get Harvest Moon 64 in October (as it's on the Japanese roadmap and they released the SNES one on the western NSO app not long ago), Mario Party 3 in November (like the first two last year), 1080 Snowboarding in December (because snow/they explicitly said 2023 for it), then Golden Sun and Kirby sometime... and then Japan also gets For The Frog The Bell Tolls whenever they add more new stuff for the base subscription, as it was on their GB/C roadmap
  • also obviously no Switch 2 announcement yet, so no new AC game yet. Yet. Still banking on the next game being announced next year, tbh (very specifically, I'm banking on it being announced with the Switch's successor like NL was with the 3DS)
  • Side Order's out in the spring! So the next season update for Splatoon 3 is also gonna be kinda meh, isn't it? My stream had awful resolution for a lot of the Direct but it was especially bad at the start, to the point where I wasn't able to read what was going on at all and I had to rewatch it... from what I've seen on other forums, it's kind of roguelike?
  • Saw that leaker mention a new Donkey Kong game, which they later teased to be a new Mario vs Donkey Kong game... which turned out to be a remake of the original! Thought it was weird that they'd gone away from the art style of the other MvDK games, but the original has a completely different art style with pre-rendered sprites. Still kinda weird that it looks like a Switch-era Mario Party to me, especially given it's coming out after Wonder, but what the hell... might give it a go?
  • talking of leakers and remakes, saw them mention that connected DS and Wii games were getting remade and it's Another Code! (there's a definite pattern to this direct, isn't there :sneaky:) As someone who became a Nintendo fan back in the mid-00s, have definitely heard of these games back in the day, and as someone who regularly has a look at Nintendo's DS/Wii-era Japanese websites I was thinking about them recently and going "I miss this specific strand of Nintendo" (but with this and the Famicom Detective Club remakes, it's something they seem to want to do again... it's just currently stuck in Remake Hell atm), so very nice to see, especially with the level of polish they've put into it, and I'm probably going to pick this up
  • Princess Peach Showtime reminds me a bit of Sackboy: A Big Adventure or a version of Balan Wonderworld that isn't rubbish, and I'm glad Peach is getting another game of her own again for the first time in nearly 2 decades (despite the fact four of the six Mario games coming out are remakes or ports, god, the Safe Era of Mario is truly over, isn't it?)
  • in other "nearly 2 decades since the last game" news, F-Zero becoming a free 99 title is hilarious after so many years of hearing people ask for a new F-Zero. Saw it as a leak a couple of days back, wasn't entirely sure if it was happening because it sounded kind of ridiculous, but it's here... and honestly pretty fun, from what I've played of it? Not a tremendous F-Zero fan (it sits in a kind of middle ground between something far-out and wacky like Mario Kart, and something more realistic like Excitebike or 1080, and as a result doesn't really feel that interesting) but I'll pick this up every so often
  • the new trailer for Warioware wasn't great because it didn't really show anything new, but the fact the website is now live and shows you a lot of the new microgames is. In terms of Nintendo-themed ones you've got a NH-themed one where you dig up a fossil, and one based around Nintendogs + Cats
  • Look, the Mario Kart Booster Course Pass is still kind of disappointing compared to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and ultimately just exists as a way to port everything from Tour into it before it gets shut down. The last wave still doesn't make me want to play these tracks more than once, but it's nice to see some more stuff from Wii (it's the second-best selling Mario Kart) and unexpectedly getting 2 more characters on top of the 2 we were supposed to be getting is always a bonus (however, no ROB? Bruh.)
  • the GameCube's clearly getting a lot of love recently, what with the ports of the first 2 Pikmin games and the Metroid Prime remaster (when's the remake of the original AC with e+ content coming, tho?) and Paper Mario kind of got stuck in a "straying away from its RPG roots" rut, so a remake of TTYD is going to make a lot of people happy, especially given it's a very faithful remake and nothing's been genericised. Kind of weird we're getting 2 remakes of Mario RPGs in the space of a year, tho. Kind of nice, they're both looking like they're going to be very good... but kind of weird. Which will do better, do you think?

I really liked the Origami King so maybe I'll get Thousand Year Door as well. I might try Super Mario RPG if I have the time. Nothing else really screamed for me to buy it.

Thousand year door remake.
Screenshot_20230806-211426_Gallery.jpg

I'm really considering buying this game a third time 😅

Wake me up when Metroid Prime 4 gets released

Er um while I'm here
I guess the new Nintendo Museum is cool
Don't care about F-Zero but it's nice Nintendo is reviving it, I don't really like how Nintendo neglects some of it's series like Kid Icarus and Star Fox
Princess Peach: Showtime is kind of interesting
Of course as I predicted Nintendo is taking up the DLC roster slots for MK8D with the kongs but at least I like Pauline and Peachette R.I.P Hammer bro and Goomba

Anyways I'm just looking forward to seeing everything included in Super Mario Wonder when in comes out so I can decide if I wanna play it or not. But I won't be playing anything in this Direct so see you for the next one I guess

I think I'm prone to bad timing, I got a Gamecube copy of TTYD over the summer (this summer, actually) and now a remake's announced. If I'd known that, I would've waited until the switch version launched lol. In other news, I haven't watched the direct yet, so I'll have to watch it like I did the Wonder direct: via the News app on the switch.

The original Tomb Raider collection getting re-released/remastered was a welcomed surprise.

TTYD is one of my favorite GameCube games, so it's cool to see it getting a glow-up. However, I don't think it was in need of one as the original still holds its weight. That said, it makes sense to re-release/remaster older games for modern consoles when they get eaten up by the audience, so I can't say I'm too surprised (it is nice to see my favorites get some love though).

I'm still excited for Super Mario RPG & Wonder. 🥰

I'm surprised that they revealed another entry for the SaGa series, a bit underrated yet very good JPGs.
I don't play Splatoon but the new expansion looks very cool, the dead coral map is creepy in a liminal space kind of way.
Can't believe a game like Mario vs DK is getting a remaster, is not a bad game at all is just not one that I though they whould remember, the Lara Crft series remster looks great too.
I'm gonna be honest I'm not feeling the new Princess Peach game much, I'll just wait to give it a more solid opinion but what I've seen is not really my thing.
Unicorn Overlord is by far what surprised me the most, I'm not much into tactical RPGs but that game looks beautiful and very polished, I might give it a shot if I get the chance.
Also congrats to all the TTYD stanst out there nvn

highly highly highly highly highly recommend anyone that hasn't played the thousand-year door already to grab this when it drops

easily one of if not the best gamecube games of all time, and probably the "lengthy" rpg I've played from start to finish more than any other

actually, I almost wanna just say to grab period. if only to signal to nintendo to maybe do more like this, please

Back