• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

NaNoWriMo 2022

Imbri

Resident Night Mare
Bells
Switch
1856-7828-8669
Island
Deilf Isle
Baby Chick Easter Egg
Sweetheart Easter Egg
Strawberry Doll
Tortimer
Shadow Kitty Plush
Rosewater Potion
Blue Rosewater Potion
Rose Crystal
Lily of the Valley
Pavé Pink Feather
It's almost Halloween, which means it's almost NaNo time! Anyone else here taking a crack at it?

Veterans can skip this next bit. :)

For those who don't know, NaNoWriMo is short for National Novel Writing Month. It happens every November and the goal is to write a first draft of original fiction totaling 50,000 words. Okay, that's a big number and it does sound scary, but it breaks down to 1,667 words a day, which is much easier to manage. The rules have expanded over the years, and now people do 50 hours of editing/rewriting, continue a previous project (they don't count the words already written, so they are still looking to write 50K), and a host of other ways of telling stories. The website has lots of forums to chat with other writers and also a place to see if there is a local group. Most areas will do a once a week meeting. It's fun to touch base with other folk, plus they do timed writing and word wars, so you can get a lot of work done.

Anyway, this year, I'm brushing off an old idea that has been sitting and coming at it from a different direction. I actually got the idea during the recent TBT Festival. :) I have the basic plot, what I want the ending to be, and my characters names/descriptions. I'm more of a pantser (writing by the seat of my pants), as opposed to a planner (who would have an outline, notes, etc.), so we'll see what twists and turns my characters take. I'll let them wander, unless they go way off base, in which case I'll throw a few lightening bolts at them. ;)

I'm back at it again! This is my seventeenth year participating and my fifth year as a municipal liaison for one of the British regions.
Don't ask me how I'm going to help run TBT's Halloween event, run write-ins, and write a novel all at once. I also have an important meeting plus four job interviews across four cities Nov 1st-3rd...

I'll be writing Book 4 of a military fantasy series I've been working on for approx 8 years now. It is told through multiple POV characters from different factions and set in a world where dragons are utilised as airforce units. Think Game of Thrones meets Temeraire. I plot so extensively that my outlines almost read like a first draft, so I've a good idea of where I'm going next month.

for *years* I've been telling myself I should try getting involved in nanowrimo in some way because I love writing but rarely actually get round to it, so this seems like the perfect kind of thing to force myself into it. however once again november is busy with uni deadlines, catch up, general life etc so... not sure how likely this year is looking once again 😅 then again after reading Chris' post i feel like i have no excuse lol

No NaNoWriMo for me (I'm not a long-form writer at all), but good luck to everyone participating! That's a lot of words to write.

Used to know someone who did this every year. I honestly just need to kick myself in gear and start writing my story again lol. I kind of put it on hold when the pandemic hit and work was just overworking me. Still am kind of overworked with only one day off and usually I just end up resting up to get right back at it. It's really not an excuse though, I could make the time if I really wanted to.

The stories you all have mentioned sound really cool! The one I've been working on an off is about a group of friends, during Halloween, that go to an abandoned library in the woods. They don't know the history that surrounds it, but end up being trapped in a completely different and fantasy-esque world. Their Halloween costumes become an authentic part of themselves.

While they enjoy this new world and the worries they've left behind, their is a darkness to this world that is hidden away.

never done nanowrimo. always wanted to, but i'm still not really in a place where i have the energy/motivation to do it. i only just managed to complete my own fic/written version of inktober, where i cherry-picked prompts each day from various sets. i set myself a target of at least 500 words per day, since that seemed manageable to me, and ended up at 39.2k total, which i think is pretty good. it's no 50k, but i'm pretty proud nonetheless since i only made it to day #15 (and around 18k) last year, and writing shorter individual pieces each day is much more reasonable for me than anything long-form.

never done nanowrimo. always wanted to, but i'm still not really in a place where i have the energy/motivation to do it. i only just managed to complete my own fic/written version of inktober, where i cherry-picked prompts each day from various sets. i set myself a target of at least 500 words per day, since that seemed manageable to me, and ended up at 39.2k total, which i think is pretty good. it's no 50k, but i'm pretty proud nonetheless since i only made it to day #15 (and around 18k) last year, and writing shorter individual pieces each day is much more reasonable for me than anything long-form.
That's still very impressive! If it's something you enjoy doing, you should just do it whenever you want to or have the energy/motivation to do so. I normally don't bother with the November writing event and just do it whenever I feel like it. It's always fun to have that creative outlet when I want to do it.

I'm closing in on 20K words and this is one of the roughest first drafts I've ever done. I've changed direction a few times, morphed some characters, and hit a couple of dead ends. But I keep reminding myself that this is just for me, there is no audience who will see it unless I want them to. So I can write all the messy stuff and it's okay. Sometimes doing that opens up a path I hadn't seen before.

Also, writing nonsense that makes sense is hard. I'm kind of remembering why I abandoned this idea of writing about literal plot bunnies. They don't just stay in the story and mess with the characters the way I want them; they are coming for me! o_O

It's Day 11 and I still haven't started writing yet. I finally intend to start today! 💪

Due to the time crunch, I think I'm going to dictate my project rather than type. I've tenosynovitis and excessive keyboard use is incredibly painful. Downside is I can't listen to music and my project is heavily inspired by sea shanties.

my project is heavily inspired by sea shanties.
That sounds amazing! I'd be curious to hear more about it if you felt like sharing!

I write novel-length stories year-round, just for fun, not professionally, so I don't feel the need to try to squeeze one specially into November. Though I did do NaNoWriMo once when I happened to get a new idea I was excited about at the end of October one year, but that was more of a coincidence than anything else. ^o^;>

Anyway, best of luck to everyone taking part. Hang in there and don't give up! There is no substitute for the feeling you get when you finally write the words THE END, you just have to keep going, even if you don't make the deadline, keep going anyway.

I've always wanted to participate but it's hard to calm down irl in order to commit to this. I feel like I would've had a better chance while in highschool. As an adult, your time gets eaten.

That said, I've been writing small bits here and there of my fic I've been working on since early 2021. Nothing substantial in the word count area but still writing nonetheless!

Yesterday I broke 35K. I'm headed to a cafe tonight after work, but I've reached a point where I have to change my process a bit. Instead of writing, I'm going to use tonight to do online research. I'll track hours like Rebels do for it (1 hour = 1,000 words).

Once I've got this under my belt, I can go back and get the missing scenes written. With luck, I'll hit my 50K Wednesday. I'll play with cleaning things up for the rest of the month.

Hope everyone is doing well and the Muses are friendly.

I did it! Last night at our write-in, I hit 51,211 words!

The story arc is in place, but there is a lot of cleaning up and filling in scenes to be done, so I'll continue working throughout the month.

No idea if I'll do anything with this, but I'm proud to have finished it.

Back