• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Most underrated video games?

magical starsign, it's suuuuuper cheesy but i loved it when i was little-er. and it has this good robot
View attachment 218852
also i just learned this today but apparently one of the developer companies also worked on mother 3? i've never played it and it's probably not that big of a shock but i was surprised cuz i assumed they were just some random old company

I was hoping somebody mentioned that game! it was such a CUTE game! the windmill of stars is my ringtone to this day!

also:

Golden Sun deserves more attention imo. I really want part 4 and finally kick a certain someones ass!

Recettear. It's a Japanese indie game that was translated into English and put up on Steam years ago. The people who know about it really love it, but there's just not enough people that know it exists. The game itself is a ton of fun and the translator actually did an amazing job with it too.

I played Drawn to Life 2 but even kid me was dissapointed that the way you draw your hero doesn't effect game play much (not even his personality). The pixel art is some of the most gorgeous I've seen in a videogame, though, so praise where it's due.

I was spoiled by a draw-your-hero game on PS2 called "Graffiti Kingdom". 3D modeling is wonky but it opened up so much depth to character movement and attack pattern. You can start from scratch or crib the design after the enemies, which you obtain cards for. Beyond that it's a solid 3D platformer with a lot of secrets, a chibi art style, and long levels. I think it's most famous in the West for having a Touhou reference, of all reasons.

- - - Post Merge - - -

@DJ I'm able to download Recettear from my bf's Steam, so I'll try it out today. Thanks for the tip! Don't remember what his opinion was.

Another game: I can never tell if Jonathan Blow's "The Witness" is obscure because it's beloved by game critics but has a somewhat low install base. So I default to recommending it. Puzzle game with 3D exploration.

Skies of Arcadia, Beyond Good and Evil, and Psychonauts all immediately come to mind.

The Styx games. They deserve a lot more attention than they've ever gotten, especially within the stealth genre seeing as it's such an anorexic genre with not much outside of Metal Gear, Splinter Cell, Thief and Hitman as primarily stealth focused games (with Hitman being the only one that's actually still going at this point). Otherwise we just get games where it's either an bare bones option and/or just not done well at all, such as Assassins Creed or 'open world Bethesda games'.

And you get to play as a Goblin. Not enough games let you be a Gobbo.

Dragon's Dogma was brilliant, but never really had a chance to shine with Skyrim coming out at the same time and taking the limelight, being seen as an 'inferior Skyrim' despite being nothing like it ("but it's got dragons and swords, obvious rip off"...). Loved the mix of Monster Hunter and Shadow of the Colossus with classic aRPG elements, fighting mythical beasts like the Hydra and Griffin, and it had pretty damn good character creation too...Not many games give mechanics where your characters height and weight make a difference.

Shame it never really took off. Japan got Dragons Dogma online, but outside of that I highly doubt there's enough interest for a sequel given its been over 6 years with not a single mention at the possibility, some DLC and a rushed remaster nobody bought being about it.

Brutal Legend. The gameplay mechanics basic with the RTS elements being wonky and unexpected (literally no mention it was part RTS until release...), but as a game inspired by metal music, there's really nothing that comes close to being such a fangasm for a genre as this.

Skies of Arcadia, Beyond Good and Evil, and Psychonauts all immediately come to mind.

Maybe at one time, but I would argue Beyond Good and Evil and Psychonauts have crossed into the territory of being kinda a bit overrated at this point. They appear in basically 95% of 'underrated games' conversations, ironically making them the complete opposite...Which is most likely why they're getting sequels, since not many publishers are going to push out a sequel to a game that isn't popular, especially Ubisoft who seems to be pumping a lot of money into a sequel of a game that was "underrated".

Skies of Arcadia I'll agree with though. They appear in a lot of Dreamcast and Gamecube related topics, but outside of that I never hear of it at all. Doesn't help that SEGA barely want to do anything outside of Sonic, Yakuza and Hatsune Miku games, or they could throw a port of this somewhere.

Last edited:
The old Harvest Moon (Currently released under Story of Seasons) games seem to be highly underrated. There's like a small niche of people who still talk/play the game but.... Yeah. Not very many of us. Also, a game called Chu♥lip, published by Natsume in North America. I had the honor of playing this in early 2017 and it was AMAZING. A bit of a weird concept, but it feels very Japanese.
Someone else mentioned it, but Danganronpa is also an amazing, underrated, series. I've only been able to watch others play it, but it is SO enjoyable. Especially 1 & 2.
Bulb Boy is also a really fun horror/puzzle game, but I'm not sure very many people have even heard of it.

Back