• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Middle Names

Yes and I hate it. Not only does it sound ugly to me, and it got werid faces from others who asked growing up, it is also spelled in a stupid way.
It is Ann. It should be Anne.
It is used often by my mom who tries to combine it with my first name. She finds it funny/cute. But she hates her own first name which ends in ann. And dislikes any other name that ends in ann except supposedly my combine form she uses 🙄
So sometimes I think she pushed it on me whether consciously or subconsciously, for some phycological reason, which makes me hate it more. Because,... Why? Especially when she knows I don't like it and I think my middle name is stupid. (Hopefully no one else has the same middle name as me and takes offense, this is just how I feel about it and various factors that ended up being associated with it).

Maybe I should have thought about changing it when I switched last names, but I didn't really think about it at the time. I was just worried about it getting done and everything switched over. It's not worth the fuss now, and mom would have probably ignored it anyway so it doesn't solve my annoyance that much. Basically it would have just been missing from paper work.

Didn't expect that to be that long, but I've been annoyed with my mom ALOT recently..

Yes, I have a very common middle name. When I was growing up at least 1/4 to 1/3 of the other girls in my class had the same middle name. I don't really love my middle name because it's so basic, but I don't hate it either. My mom chose it because my aunt and my grandma both have the same middle name, so I do feel some attachment to it for that reason. The only person who ever used my middle name was my grandma. I think she was proud of the fact that I was named after her so she always called me first name/middle name combined.

I do use my middle initial on work correspondence, forms, and in my signature. I have a very short first and last name and my first name sounds more like a nickname, so I think the added initial makes my name seem more mature and professional.

I like the idea of middle names because I love options. When it comes to naming a baby, you can't know yet what they will grow up to be, what kind of name they will like as they get older, or what their personality will be. So the more options I have or could give my own child if I had one, the better in my opinion. That way hopefully at least part of their name would resonate with them.

My current middle name is Grace, but I'm currently in the process of picking a new one to go with my chosen name, Remus. I've narrowed it down to Mars, Moon, Lupin, or Severus, and of course, many fellow trans beans are mad at me because of the Harry Potter themed names, for obvious reasons, but do I give a damn? No.
Update: I asked my friends for suggestions today, and one of them brought up the name October, which I ended up loving, so I might go with October instead of the other ones I had previously thought of.

i like my middle name! tbh, i dont really have a reason to hate it since nobody even notices it.

i actually have two middle names but one is not on my birth certification therefore it only exists to my immediate family and friends that i told. kinda wish it was on there though, i love it!

Yes, I have a middle name. For privacy reasons, I won't mention it specifically. It's a common name with a not as common spelling (but not anywhere near unheard of). I like it okay. I haven't gone by it ever, though. But I will say it has lots of opportunity for different nicknames, unlike my first name which does not. That's neat, if I ever find a reason to go by it.

Yes, I have one middle name. I'm indifferent to it, it's okay but it's very old-fashioned (was popular in the 40s - 50s). It actually has a better meaning than my first name, I just don't like the sound of it. On the positive side, it's somewhat unique as I haven't met anyone else my age that has it lol.

i don’t like my middle name, it’s grace. apart from the obvious reason that it‘s very feminine because it was meant for a girl, it seems like literally everyone has grace as a middle name. i might just drop my middle name in the future, because i don’t even know what i would replace it with…

also… i’m not even graceful, lol. i fractured my arm three years ago by tripping on my shoelace. :,]

yes i do, i like it - it's my mum's maiden name. it's extremely traditionally scottish though and so is my first name so it'd probably be a bit much if it was my second name. it's not used much, just in some official documents like my passport etc, outside of that it's basically never mentioned.

My middle name is Charles, my grandfather's first name. I don't mind it.

My middle name is May. I like it because it’s sweet and simple— I think it came from my great-grandma’s grandma, who raised her. (So a great-great-great grandparent…wow.) Nobody uses it, really. I don’t want it used because I would rather people just call me by my first name.

I have a middle name and I like it, but it gets absolutely no use whatsoever outside of like, signing things. Middle names are cool though.

Honestly I think that the concept of middle names is rather stupid. You’re never really ever going to use it and it’s just a waste of space and ink on paper. And I find it extremely annoying when people tell me their middle names. I don’t care what it is and I have absolutely no interest in hearing it and I didn’t ask you for it so just keep that useless bit info to yourself! That’s my honest opinion on middle names.

Yes, but I'm not the biggest fan of it. Even people I know says it doesn't fit someone like me.

Last edited:
Yes I have a middle name I never hear people with that as a first name or second name.

My mum wasn't given a middle name so she made sure we had one cause she said she felt left out when she was little :(

i have one and it’s a name i like but honestly can’t remember the last time i actually used it, generally only comes up when filling in more official documents like for passport, cards, etc - on an average day i never use it

I like my middle name. 😊 No one really uses it now that I’m an adult, but my dad used it a lot when I was a kid (not so much when I was in trouble, it was in a more endearing way). ❤️💖

yeah, i've got a middle name - i quite like it, but it's not really used unless it's on my passport or other documents and stuff

Growing up, I never met anyone with my middle name, even as a first name. I used to hate it, despite being named after my favorite aunt, because it was 'weird' and my brother teased me about it.
Now that there is a well-known singer with it as her stage name, that has probably done wonders for its popularity. 😅 I feel indifferent to it now, but it will be changed when I get around to doing the paperwork for my name change. If you're going to change one, you may as well change them all. :U

My middle name is pretty basic, it's Lee.
My middle name is Lee, too!

I like my middle name, it fits nicely with my first name - Lori. My mom is the only one who uses both in succession. In fact, I rarely even hear my first name anymore, because I’ve adopted Fox so much. I don’t mind when people use my first name though.

I do have a funny story about my maiden name though. So, my family is Swedish and back in the 1800s there was a father and son whose names were both the same, Gustav Hoglund, and they were both farmers. Apparently, the two would order supplies and equipment and the orders would get sent to the wrong places until one day the son finally got fed up and changed his last name to something he made up a variation of Norman, meaning “man of the north” (Norman is not my actual maiden name, just the derivative- I won’t be including my actual maiden name, since I’ve already included my first and middle.) And now that name has carried through all the way to our current generation with my brother. It’s weird to think that if it hadn’t changed, I would’ve been Lori Lee Hoglund, instead of what I ended up being. I love genealogy, it’s so fascinating!

Back