• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Middle Names

on paper, i technically have a middle name (naming conventions where my family is totally different to how it’s done in the west) it’s tricky to answer but yes i technically have a middle name but it just isn’t mine (it’s my father’s name 🙄 bleh, and i’ve been dreaming of dropping it ever since i was little LOL) it just feels like a hassle to do all that paper work to change it but i’m sure one day i’ll get around to doing it!

My middle name is Atsuya and it's Japanese. I'm pretty sure I have it because my mom wanted to ensure I had a Japanese name (she's born and raised there) and I don't think I would've gotten a middle name were it not for this reason. I like it but it has its fallbacks. English-speaking people cannot for the life of them pronounce it for some reason despite Japanese being a pretty easy and straightforward language (pronunciation-wise). It's also not a widely common name in Japan so my relatives usually end up calling me Atsushi by mistake (which is more common) 😑

I have two middle names, though they're not really ever used for anything. They're kind of just... there. The first one is the name my parents wanted to call me at first, but ultimately decided against it because they didn't like one of the potential nicknames for it. The other is a part of my grandmothers name. I'd say they're fine as middle names, I don't hate them but I'm not like, in love with them I guess. They kind of just exist lol.

I have a middle name and I don't mind it. I used to worry about my full name not stringing together nicely anymore if I got married and changed my last name, from that perspective a middle name just seems like an extra potential complication.

I have a middle name, and I actually kind of like it. It's an old, outdated name that no parent would use for their child anymore.

It is much better than my first name...

I do have a middle name. It’s fine. I’m named after my mom’s grandma with it. It’s used when my mom’s mad or on official government forms.

Emilia, I know a girl with this as her first name so that’s fun

named after my grandfather or something (I’ve never met him) (his name was not Emilia)

I don't have a middle name, but I never liked how, as children, those who did have a middle name felt and acted like they were super special and better than everyone else. 🙄🥱 Yeah sure, I don't have a middle name, but... I can fit my surname or sometimes my first name into the High Score lists on video games when you game over. Take that! My name's goin' up there in full and in caps, baby. 😎👉👉

i have a middle name and i really like it. it’s one of my family member’s names who passed away before i was born. its funny because we’re actually super similar and look really similar. i have their nickname tattooed on my arm too. im never gonna change it :)

My middle name is my grandmother's first name. It has never really been used other than to fill out official government paperwork. My mother never even yelled at us kids our full names when she was mad lol! She just yelled our first names, so my middle name has never truly been "used." It flows pretty nicely with my first name, however I believe it sounds like a name from like the 1940s or something lol! I have never truly liked either of my names, but I also have never truly hated them either. I am glad my first name isn't as old fashioned has my middle name, though.

in my culture, we get our mother’s maiden name as our middle name vs getting it “picked” (my siblings and i have the same middle name). i personally like the idea of keeping my mom’s side in my name along with my dad’s, but i dont really use it unless i’m filling out official forms

I do have a middle name. I didn't like the one I was given at birth, so I legally changed it when I was 18. The name I go by on a day-to-day basis is a portmanteau of letters from my first and middle name.

I do have a middle name and I prefer it over my first name for many reasons. My middle name is Lizbeth and before I even knew the origins of my first name, I had always felt like I didn’t like the way my first name sounded. I thought my middle name sounded cuter. When I got a little older I learned that my older sister’s middle name is my first name. We live in different countries so I didnt know before, but after hearing that, it made me like my first name even less. Like I got a hand-me-down name or something. I felt like Lizbeth could have been my own personal name.

Additionally my middle name connects me to my culture a bit more, which when I was younger I wanted to feel a bit more connected with my culture. My family’s afro latino and my mom didn’t speak with me in Spanish as a kid, so I wasn’t fluent as a kid, and due to not “looking” hispanic, I guess when I was younger I always felt like slightly disconnected from my culture or like maybe I felt not included or something. Although it’s not something I feel now, when I was younger, I wanted it, and since my middle name is more Hispanic, maybe as a kid it would have made me feel it bit more connected.

I actually really truly luv my middle name!

It’s Rene’

Dana Rene’

Grandmother gave me a pet name Rayna Danea and hubs calls me Dana Reenie

I have a middle name, but I gave it to my cousin, when I was a kid my aunt called me from the hospital and asked me how she should name her baby, I'm not good with names so I gave her my middle name. I don't know if she likes it, I will always feel a bit guilty about that. I never use it, I have already two other names, three names seems a bit too much. It's only mentioned on my birth certificate and later on my death certificate .

Back