• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Memes....Dubstep?! WTF nintendo?!

I've noticed the usage of memes in other games, and some of those games aren't really directed towards children. Memes are a part of modern pop culture now so it's something you have to get used to, because when Japanese games get localized and translated, translators tend to use memes for things that would be inappropriate to translate literally (which would end up confusing westerners). None of your examples are really memes, but just ways people would normally speak given those circumstances, so it makes things more natural for those who speak English.

I have seen a handful of memes. Sometimes when villagers just moved in and are unpacking, they tell you not to stick around because you're gonna have a bad time. Not a coincidence :p

I think they are funny haha. I've seen other stuff like "You don't say?" and I think "take my money!" is another one . No surprise with club "lol" XD...

Club LOL is the only thing I can't stand. The animals have ALWAYS mentioned music, sports, different foods, etc. Whether you like it or dislike it, dubstep is a music genre so of course it's there as well.

You're from there, aren't you?

- - - Post Merge - - -

Techno is fine I like it but seriously dubstep is garbage and like I've said before it doesn't happen often it's not something that makes me not enjoy the game, it just bothers me but I can see how I made it look like it bothered me that greatly. Also I don't mind if people like something I'm not an ass by making them dislike it I just ignore it if I don't like it like my 3 older cousins which like dubstep,I just try and ignore it and now and then voice my opinion if neccesary.
You're hating on dubstep but you watch My Little Pony. That's rich. I don't hate either, I'm just saying, seriously?

Last edited:
I don't think there is much of a problem with mentioning dubstep. It should be counted as genre too.

when buying at kicks, the option to buy something is "take my money!"
they don't really bother me, I kind of find it all very amusing

when buying at kicks, the option to buy something is "take my money!"
they don't really bother me, I kind of find it all very amusing

Yeah, too bad you can't try on socks and see something funnier DX

I probably laughed a lot harder than I should have at the first time I saw "Take my money!". But you just can't say that phrase without picturing Fry shouting it while holding a fist full of cash.

Have you ever thought OP, that they are sticking to relevant information and trends? Most people who played Animal Crossing GC are my age now, and enjoy these things. If it was something you found funny or enjoyed, you wouldn't even complain. You're turning an anthill into a mountain because oh my gosh, it's something you don't like. If it bugs you so much, don't play it. I for one enjoy that they are trying to add relevance into the game. Go gripe over something worthwhile.

It just shows that they're up to date with the current trends. I actually find it funny/amusing when games make references of stuff from real life.

It just shows that they're up to date with the current trends. I actually find it funny/amusing when games make references of stuff from real life.

This... I think it`s super cool of them. ^^

When I saw that dubstep was an option, I was like "Is Poppy really talking to me about dubstep? That's freaking awesome!"
Believe it or not, it's a very popular genre of music and it's still exploding in popularity. Nintendo was smart in including that because the majority of players will think it's a cool reference, even if one of them gets inexplicably angry just at the prospect.

I've noticed that some of the dialogue is very "modern", but really it's nbd

Have you ever thought OP, that they are sticking to relevant information and trends? Most people who played Animal Crossing GC are my age now, and enjoy these things. If it was something you found funny or enjoyed, you wouldn't even complain. You're turning an anthill into a mountain because oh my gosh, it's something you don't like. If it bugs you so much, don't play it. I for one enjoy that they are trying to add relevance into the game. Go gripe over something worthwhile.

In a way so are you, this is the OP's opinion, you're turning it into something big because you don't like what was written... The OP was showing their thoughts in a humorous way, I can detect that it's not entirely serious, perhaps not everyone can.

It doesn't bother me, but makes me cringe someties when I think that a lot of the audience isn't still a teenager. Makes me laugh, but probably not in the way the game intended!

I actually quite like it. I think it shows the attention the detail and the audience/current trends, which for some might date a game as time goes on (and on the flip side, at least provide good nostalgia later on), but for others (like me), add a sense of humour and a feeling that they're really paying attention to how they craft the details of the game. When I first saw stuff like this it felt surreal but it really did give me a kick and I think it's just a bit of fun. To me, it was really nice to see a series I began playing at twelve years of age keep up with the times and what was around me (whether I liked the things or not) in even a small way by the time I am almost nineteen. The world doesn't just filter out the pop culture you don't like so in a sense, Animal Crossing doesn't necessarily have to either. It's an idealised game but that doesn't mean they shouldn't take some leeway on keeping up with the times. On top of that, a lot of these things are not just memes or "bad" trends but also legitimate terms/genres/concepts that the internet has recently just decided to drag up into a trend.

I get that this is a place for everybody to voice opinions but I kind of feel like if you're not even open to discuss or consider such a niche issue beyond repeatedly saying that it irritates you, you should have put it somewhere more personal rather than making a thread about it. Now, please don't feel like I'm trying to offend anybody, because I'm not - I just feel like it's a little bit odd to make a thread about something most people probably don't have a problem with/something you can easily ignore or get over compared to other potential in-game concerns and then expect people not to take it seriously when the issue is being repeatedly hyperbolised just a little.

Last edited:
Back