• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Mario vs Zelda vs Pokemon

Which of these franchises is the best?

• Total voters
i?ve never played any zelda games before (sorry ok) do not attack me

the only pok?mon game i have played is pok?mon go - i haven?t bought any pok?mon games for the 3DS.
however, i remember having a quite large pok?mon trading card collection hehe

therefore, i went for mario as i have played the mario games the most when i was 10-12 (tbh don?t really play much anymore)

Zelda. I was incredibly obsessive about Pokemon for the first 3 generations and then it became way too much. Sun/Moon was the final straw, I hated it and could not finish it. Pokemon lost its charm for me when it moved to the DS with Diamond/Pearl. Somehow, I've always enjoyed every Zelda game.

Yeah, pokemon is way too complex for me to get into! Since coming to the forums, I've learned there's a lot about pokemon I don't know, and I feel like a pleb when I just want to play pokemon for fun instead of paying attention to tournaments and all. Though, I think that the DS pokemon games, especially black/white 2, are the best in the series. I can't relate with liking Zelda, because I'm too dumb to finish a zelda game.

Yeah, pokemon is way too complex for me to get into! Since coming to the forums, I've learned there's a lot about pokemon I don't know, and I feel like a pleb when I just want to play pokemon for fun instead of paying attention to tournaments and all. Though, I think that the DS pokemon games, especially black/white 2, are the best in the series. I can't relate with liking Zelda, because I'm too dumb to finish a zelda game.

This is how I felt growing up. I encourage you guys to at least try to understand the mechanics of Pokemon and play a game of it if you haven’t. The most important thing to remember is the type matchup chart, which you can Google.

I also cannot play Legend of Zelda games. I’m too stupid for it, LOL >.<

It's a tie between Mario and Pokemon, as I do like both franchises equally. I only played one TloZ game
once for the Advance back then and that's pretty much it, since I'm not interested in TloZ that much.

i'm terrible at platforming, but i really enjoy mario kart and mario party, so i'll have to say the mario franchise. the only zelda game i've played has been breath of the wild, and besides that game, zelda isn't all that great to me. i do like pokemon and all but i just have a soft spot for mario kart/party lol

i did vote for pokemon, but after thinking about it, i remembered that mario is more than just platforming oops

Last edited:
I'm Switzerland on this one, since I like them all equally. i grew up with Mario since the days of the NES. A childhood friend introduced me to Zelda. I got into Pokemon through various magazine ads and TV commercials.

Last edited:
I like all three, but I voted Mario because it's the Nintendo franchise I began playing first. If I had never played Mario, I wouldn't be into Zelda or Pok?mon today. I have Mario to thank for me getting into Nintendo as a whole.

Last edited:
Did you know:

Zelda does the best among critics. Mario sold the most copies of their titles. Pok?mon makes the most money.

Definitely Zelda for me. Loved the series since OoT.
I enjoy Mario games as well, though I mostly play Mario Kart.
As for Pok?mon: It makes me a little sad that I've lost all enthousiasm for this franchise since gen 7, especially because it's what really got me into gaming when Red and Blue came out. I was also a big fan of the animated series back then and liked the merch. The look of the new games really doesn't appeal to me and neither do the characters and story. I don't think I'll even bother with gen 8. I still enjoy going back to gen2-6 games once in a while, though.

Last edited:
It would be a decision between Mario and Pokemon since there's fewer mainline games I dislike. There's only Sun/Moon and 3D World from either series that I dislike. If pushed it would probably lean more towards Pokemon since I find they have way more replay value...Plus I can name my Pokemon.

I also don't really like Mario as a character, nor really the aesthetic of the Mario universe in general. I think newer Mario games like "new" Super Mario Bros and 3D World have spawned this opinion since I didn't really feel this until more recently, but it all feels a bit bland, toned down, safe and overly family friendly aesthetically.

I do love Zelda, but there's too many that range from "it's okay" to just total dislike. Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Spirit Tracks, Phantom Hourglass, Breath of the Wild, Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time. They're not bad games but I just don't have the interest in them that I do for other games in the series like Twilight Princess, Wind Waker or Link to the Past.

I've also just realised how few Zelda games I do really like, so, I guess that's that.

They're not that hard for casual play. I don't think I've ever gone further into the mechanics of a Pokemon game than learning the type matchups, and "learn" is more "I just started to remember them through playing the game casually". Most of them are pretty logical anyway, like water beats fire or flying (birds) beat bug...And if in doubt, just spam any move. The single player for Pokemon games has always been ridiculously easy aside from a very small handful of encounters.

There's otherwise not much to it other than catch and battle Pokemon. Just ignore all the torunamnets and stuff if you're not into that...I do.

It would be a decision between Mario and Pokemon since there's fewer mainline games I dislike. There's only Sun/Moon and 3D World from either series that I dislike. If pushed it would probably lean more towards Pokemon since I find they have way more replay value...Plus I can name my Pokemon.

I also don't really like Mario as a character, nor really the aesthetic of the Mario universe in general. I think newer Mario games like "new" Super Mario Bros and 3D World have spawned this opinion since I didn't really feel this until more recently, but it all feels a bit bland, toned down, safe and overly family friendly aesthetically.

I do love Zelda, but there's too many that range from "it's okay" to just total dislike. Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Spirit Tracks, Phantom Hourglass, Breath of the Wild, Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time. They're not bad games but I just don't have the interest in them that I do for other games in the series like Twilight Princess, Wind Waker or Link to the Past.

I've also just realised how few Zelda games I do really like, so, I guess that's that.
They all have bad games. We got Mario’s Early Years, Link’s Crossbow Training, and Hey You Pikachu. What do they all have in common? They are the worst games of their franchise.

I've actually never completed a Zelda game, so my opinion is more on Mario vs. Pokemon, but in terms of actual games, Mario. I prefer Pokemon in terms of things like character design and some of the non-game content like the anime, but in terms of actual game quality, I'd usually rather play a Mario game than a Pokemon game.

They all have bad games. We got Mario’s Early Years, Link’s Crossbow Training, and Hey You Pikachu. What do they all have in common? They are the worst games of their franchise.

They all have bad games, but the ratio of good:bad games is different for all of them.

I'm only taking into consideration the main games of the series though since largely the spin offs for these franchises are largely crap. For every Mystery Dungeon and Paper Mario, we get like 12 Hey You Pikachu's and Mario is Missing.

POKEMON. Period. Mario will be 2nd and uhh never really cared about Zelda.

Ahhhh, it's difficult!!!! ( ̄(エ) ̄)ゞ

I love most Mario games but there's a lot of the ones I didn't like or didn't feel interested at all (like Mario Sports, Paper Mario, Mario Party etc.). Pokemon - I absolutely adore the Pokemon creatures, but I've never really liked any Pokemon games - tried some on 3DS but they never grabbed me. Though, I'm thinking of giving them another chance and really wish there was a demo for Pokemon Sword/Shield... I'm pretty sure I'll like Pokemon anime when I start watching it, so we'll see.

But for now - Zelda! I love Zelda games and all of the aesthetics. Zelda is on the same level with Dragon Quest for me - so, totally in love. <3 And I don't think there's a single Zelda game I dislike. I recently got a DSi XL just to play older Nintendo games (I know, I know 3DS can play them - I just wanted to experience them the way people did when those games came out :3), so I'll definitely vote for Zelda!
And oh my god, I'm so excited for Link's Awakening. ⌒?(❛ᴗ❛)?⌒
link.jpg

Last edited:
I was always a Pok?mon gal, though I always played all three series to some extent. But for me, Breath of the Wild is probably the best Nintendo game ever. I mean that's probably a very basic statement, but Nintendo just never got that kind of RPG right from my experience. I never had the money to try them all so my opinion is very biased, but the closest game I enjoyed before that was Fantasy Life. Like I want to say that Zelda is my favorite series, but I only played the DS ones (not the 3DS remakes) and I didn't enjoy them all that much. But I prefer a free RPG over a limited RPG, even if I like Pok?mon a lot as a game series.

Like, I love Pok?mon, but as someone who's not into the competitive scene it's always been more of an appreciation than an obsession. And also nostalgia, because Pok?mon was the first game I ever played in the late 90s. But the series is pretty much the same and I'm just not excited for new releases anymore. I look forward to the new regions, but I mostly just play for the gameplay despite it being the exact same every time. I just like the leveling up and the new attacks, to me it's very straightforward and easy to play, it's the type of game you can have on your phone and play occasionally without being disappointed when you have to stop.

I really enjoy all three for different reasons, but I'd probably pick pokemon, then zelda, then mario. Pokemon is what got me into video games in the first place.

Back