• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Yoshi games - Separate series, or Mario spinoff?

GreenTeaHarbor1297

Bells
Perfect Apple
Light Green Scenery
Do you consider Yoshi games to be Mario spinoffs, much like the Luigi's Mansion or Captain Toad games, or a separate series, much like Zelda, Metroid, Animal Crossing, or Splatoon, or more specifically like Donkey Kong which is connected but separate from the Mario series?
Post automatically merged:

Mods - You can move this to the Nintendo subboard if you like. Sorry I completely overlooked it.

I consider them a spin-off from Mario games. Yes, they feature unique concepts and characters, but that's what spin-offs do. They take from the original series, but build on it as well.

I would probably consider it much closer to a spin-off than a unique entity. Its many unique concepts are completely overshadowed by the fact that they have too many characters and gameplay features in common with the mainline Mario series. They're 2D platformers wherein you collect the same coins as you do in the Mario series, fighting many familiar enemies such as Shy Guys, eventually culminating in a climatic confrontation with (Baby) Bowser. Multiple games in the series--including but not limited to the very first entry--feature (baby versions of) Mario and Luigi as prominent figures in the story and lore. The unique settings and environments added, not to mention experimentation with art style, do allow it to stand out from the series it spawned from, but unless you have been living under a rock for 30 years (or aren't familiar with Mario lore), there's virtually nothing you can do to separate Yoshi from his roots as a Mario character within the internal logic of the games themselves.

By contrast, Donkey Kong may be connected to Mario in a similar fashion, but the setting, characters, enemies, game assets, art style, and story of the Donkey Kong Country games are all so completely removed from anything related to the mainline Mario games (or even the Donkey Kong arcade games that spawned them) that it would be much harder to actually connect them together than it would be to separate them. Aside from being 2D platformers where you collect something equivalent (but distinctly different) to Mario coins, the two share absolutely nothing in common.

Even if Yoshi's games were as completely devoid of Mario iconography as the Donkey Kong Country games are, Yoshi himself is far too prominent a figure in the mainline Mario games, often serving as a playable companion in many of the games, making it impossible to view him as a completely separate entity, whereas when Donkey Kong does appear, it's usually for spin-off games (Mario Party, Mario Kart, etc.) or for roles that aren't terribly important.

I might be inclined to compare it to... well, honestly every single comic book character ever, really. Characters like Robin, Nightwing, Harley Quinn, and others may all have their own separate books with their own separate stories, but no one is buying an issue of Robin without the immediate knowledge that he's the sidekick of Batman and the contextual expectation that his background will play some role in where the story goes. Whereas one might read an issue of Superman and feel comfortable completely separating it from other comics by the same publisher, even though every comic I've mentioned in this sentence share the same universe and continuity.

So while both Yoshi and Donkey Kong do share a similar amount of grey area and both have their roots in Mario, Yoshi wears it far too much on his sleeve and is far too active in the actual mainline Mario games to justify categorizing it as a completely separate series.

Yoshi is kind of a funny gray zone for me...something like Yoshi's Island would be a spinoff, because it is literally Super Mario World 2. But something like Woolly World or Crafted World would be standalone games, IMO. It's hard to say. I mean...Mario was originally in Donkey Kong...but we don't consider Mario to be a Donkey Kong spinoff.

The Yoshi games remind me more of things like Paper Mario and the Mario & Luigi games, so I consider them more like spin-offs rather than their own separate franchise

I consider them a separate but extremely similar series from each other because the Smash series and some Wikis consider the Yoshi, Donkey Kong and Wario series to be separate from the main Mario series. I don't really know how to explain it but I think they are in the same universe and have a connection with each other but I consider them different series.

Mario was originally in Donkey Kong...but we don't consider Mario to be a Donkey Kong spinoff.
That opens up a completely different debate: Is Donkey Kong (1983, arcade) a Donkey Kong game or a Mario game with the title of Donkey Kong?

It's named after Donkey Kong, but the player character and for all extensive purposes protagonist is Mario. 🤔

I consider Yoshi games to be a spinoff of Mario games for the reasons stated by the users above. I literally cannot word it any better so I won't even attempt it.

I also think the Yoshi games are a spin off that connects to the main series sort of like how Super Mario Land: Wario Land is connected to the Mario Land games with Mario making a cameo at the end of the game but it is also the first game in the Wario Land series. The Yoshi’s Island games are obviously part of the main series as baby versions of Mario characters appear yet they are also a separate series at the same time due to the art style used in these games and how Yoshi functions differently that he does in other Mario games.

Back