• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

List your favorite and most nostalgic video games?

Top of my head

Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2
Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire & R/B/Y
Mario 64 to Galaxy
LoZ Wind Waker & Twilight Princess
Crash Bandicoot 1-3 are a few examples

Paper Mario 3ds is definitely a big one for me. When I was in elementary school I used to come home and play this game for hours, not even glancing at my homework.

there are so many games that I've loved playing but I'll try and keep this list to my favourite ones from when I was young as they're the most nostalgic to me and then I don't run the risk of getting too carried away with the list:

• Mario Party (particularly 1, 5 and 6)
  • Mario Kart (especially 64, Double Dash and DS)
  • Super Mario Bros on DS
  • Super Mario 64
  • Super Mario Sunshine on Gamecube (joint favourite Mario 3D world game with Odyssey)
  • Super Mario Galaxy on Wii
  • Sims 1 and 2 on PC
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • Bomberman 64
  • Snowboard Kids
  • Pokemon (all main series games but especially Ruby/Sapphire)
  • Pokemon Stadium on N64 (had some really great mini games on this, especially Sushi-Go-Round)
  • Pokemon Snap on N64
  • Pokemon Colosseum on Gamecube (favourite Pokemon game not in the main series)
  • Super Smash Bros (all versions but particularly the original one on 64 and Brawl on Wii)
  • Sonic Heroes on Gamecube
  • Legend of Zelda series (particularly Ocarina of Time on 64 and Wind Waker on Gamecube)
  • Final Fantasy (especially X and X-2)
  • James Bond (Goldeneye, Agent Under Fire, Nightfire and Everything or Nothing)
  • The Simpsons (Road Rage and Hit & Run)
  • Animal Crossing Wild World on DS
  • Nintendogs on DS
  • Wii Sports
  • Cooking Mama

Some of my favourite games are also really nostalgic; others are hella nostalgic but hard to play again, in particoular because my videogame standars really did change during the years.

• Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum: Very nostalgic, it was part of my childhood. I am currently playing it again and... well, it aged well, but it is slow as heck and I do not enjoy grinding that much anymore. I am slow at playing games, and since in Gen 4 games you have to grind a lot in order to use the Pokémon you like, after one month and half of gameplay I am just going to win my fourth gym badge. Probably not gonna play this again for years.
  • Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver: My first Pokémon game ever and probably my favourite one. I have the original box and the PokéWalker, both really rare and expensive nowadays, bought back in 2011. I want to play SoulSilver after Platinum, but if I remember correctly, those remakes are even longer and slower than the Sinnoh titles. Probably gonna play it until 2022... ugh, that's why I play gen 4 titles once every 7-8 years...
  • Pokémon Sun/Moon: I did enjoy these games a lot, plus Sun was the last Pokémon game I played before taking a break from the series and videogames in general. Also, the last games I played with my best friends. We were so hyped back then (summer 2016); watching trailers, theories, and lives while we were at the beach... so many memories. My Sun file is still alive and I'm never gonna delete it (if I ever wanto to play Alola again, I have UltraMoon), 'cuz in that file I still have my friends' avatars in the Festival Plaza, their Pokémons and my first ever complete Dex.
  • Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia: I played this with a really close friend back in the days and we loved it. We were big Fire Emblem fans when Heroes wasn't still a thing and the fanbase wasn't asbig and toxic as now and Echoes was basically the last big 3DS titles we played as young teens. I really can't bring myself to play it again because it is really different from a classic Fire Emblem game, but I have good memories about it.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: It was a big thing in 2017, when the Switch released. I enjoyed the atmosphere the fans created back then, maybe because many of us were new to the Zelda series and we played the game not as a new title in the series, but as a total new experience in the gaming world.
  • Splatoon 2: One of my favourite videogames ever, I loved it. Sadly Nintendo decided to not support it just after a year, but hey, at least I played the hella out of it, and now that they announced Splatoon 3 I'm hyped up.

most nostalgic in no particular order:
  • mirror's edge
  • blinx the time sweeper
  • jet set radio future
  • crazy taxi 3
  • crash bandicoot: the wrath of cortex
  • grabbed by the ghoulies
  • katamari forever
lots of original xbox and early ps3 games that're pretty much unknown now, but i still love them and replay them frequently!

i have... a lot. No particular order on this list. Each game has SOO many memories that go along with it. I remember the early days of the 3DS and getting my first 2 3DS' and having to share with my siblings, getting a Wii, and I even remember the Gamecube.

-Wii Sports
-Wii Fit+
-Sonic Heroes
-Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (2010), London 2012 Olympics
-Mario Party 4, 5, 8
-Mario Kart Double Dash, Wii, 7
-New Super Mario Bros. DS, Wii
-Super Mario Galaxy 2
-Super Mario 64 DS
-Super Mario Sunshine
-Paper Mario The Thousand-Year Door
-Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
-Pokemon Diamond, Heart Gold, White, Y
-Splatoon
-LPS Garden (ds)

Not sure if I would actually consider some of the DS ones as good but they are certainly nostalgic:

-Mario kart 64
-Mario Kart DS
-Super Mario 64
-The 64 Pokémon game (I remember loving the mini games lol)
-Nintendogs: Dalmatians and friends
-Donkey Kong Country 2 on the SNES
-Animal Crossing Wild World

Last edited:
My favorites would have to be majoras mask, the Mario party’s, more 7 than the rest, Mario sunshine, Nintendogs, and paper Mario ttyd. I’m sure there are more, I just can’t remember at the moment. :)

I remember Age of Mythology, an RTS game where you get to play out an adventure filled with Greek/Egyptian/Norse mythological creatures like the Sphinx, the Fire and Ice Giants, and of course, the Cyclops. There was a sequel expansion pack called "The Titan" of course, and it was loads of fun, just gigantic Titans going at each other. You also get god powers like Zeus' thunder and tornado and even an asteroid attack. Phew, that game was underrated.

Here are my favorites - in no particular order:

Shadow Hearts Covenant: one of my all time favorites. The other day when I posted in the thread about our favorite songs, one of the songs I discussed was from this game. I now can’t get that song out of my head or stop thinking about the game. I was recommended this game by someone I used to talk to on the first messageboard I joined. He heard I liked history and thought I would like it (it is a sequel to another game, but fortunately it was still enjoyable and not confusing and i played the first one eventually :)). The game is not so much focused on history but it takes place during World War I (1915) and puts some historical events in it as well as characters like Anastasia, Rasputin, Roger Bacon. There is something called the solomon’s key in the game which is l, according to the wikia based off of The Lesser Key of Solomon; very fascinating to know. The VOs and cutscenes were really top notch for the time (the VO is still top quality in my opinion). I would love the director’s cut be translated to English and brought back to the switch or ps4.

Final Fantasy X - original not remaster. I used to discuss this game on tumblr; I loved analyzing it and sharing my thoughts on pretty much every scene. The original soundtrack is so good, loved the characters and story. I will say I hated the balloon ”mini game” and had only managed to finish it (getting Tidus’s ultimate weapon) once out of the many playthroughs I did.

Dragon Age: Origins - the one game that a voiceless protagonist worked fine. Each playthrough I’d come up with little stories for my characters (never wrote them down; well most). It is funny; I was initially unimpressed with the graphics and game when my bf at the time was playing it but once he got me it for my birthday the ultimate edition i loved it so much i got it for the pc too just for screenshots. I love the VOs too. ☺️ This game/series and small fandom I interacted with also helped me come out of my shell about liking video game and anime characters :).

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - still has the best opener. Again, the cutscene graphics were so good at the time. I suck at being sneaky but still had a lot of fun and collecting camoflauges and the creatures. ☺️

Mario Party 1-4 - can’t wait for superstars even though not all my favorite mini games and boards are in it (i don’t remember 2-4 so much i know i loved them). Still upset these were among the games my sister sold of mine :/.

Paper Mario - I was never a big Mario fan but I seriously love Paper Mario and how the characters looked. The gameplay was really fun ☺️.

Pokemon up to Diamond: I enjoyed the originals the most but they all had their own charm including Diamond. I miss playing Pokemon so much; just don’t miss the iv stuff. 😅 And the gambling 😭; I really loved the slots.

World of Warcraft: I hoped to maybe come back to play one day (when I obviously have a job), but the relatively recent news about Blizzard made it unlikely. Regardless, I still think it deserves mention since I wasted so much time playing that game. I loved mount and pet collecting the best in the game but I really loved everything but the pvp. Raids were stressful at times and I felt like there were favoritism and cliques in some guilds and a lot of drama of course, but regardless, still miss the game (and my collection).

The Sims 1-3: I am so sad my computer can no longer handle any of my games (it never could tbh since it isn’t a gaming computer in spite what my mom said the guy said at the store). I loved cooking, making nectar, creating drama with the sims I made and more. ☺️ I miss the reaper family i made and fortunately saved before they patched the reaper being able to move in with you or have a baby with your female sim. Another game that I wasted so much time on but it brought me so much laughter and joy ☺️.

Civilization III-IV and maybe V

Gettysburg: It’s a sid meier’s game ☺️. so fun.

Oregon Trail I & II

Rollercoaster tycoon 1

American Girls game - it was a game you made scripts and put them on stage

Tony Hawk 1-3 & Underground 2

Golden Eye
There was this power rangers game i loved on the sega genesis.

Bubble Bobble

Duck Hunt

There may be more but those are all that I can think of atm.

My favorite games and most nostalgic games don’t quite overlap much. Most of the best games I’ve played were when I was a teenager, save for a few recent favorites. That being said, a lot of the games I find the most nostalgic are still pretty fun! Here are the lists.

Most nostalgic:
- New Super Mario Bros. (It was my first real game)
- Super Scribblenauts (this game captured my imagination and taught me how to spell dozens of words)
- Super Mario 64 DS (my first 3D game)
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 (the first game to really blow me away visually)
- The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword (the first game I played to have a solid story)
- Pokemon HeartGold (my first Pokémon game)
- Pokemon Black (the first Pokémon game that really grabbed me)
- Minecraft (the amount of time I spent crafting as a kid is impossible to measure)
- The Legend of Zelda Majora’s Mask (the game that caused the most dreams)
- Dragon Quest 9 (my first traditional turn based RPG. The 2D sprites on 3D backgrounds are so nostalgic)

Favorite games:
- Persona 5 Royal
- Ace Attorney Investigations 2
- Shovel Knight
- Pokemon Black 2
- The House of Fata Morgana
- Dragon Quest 11
- The Legend of Zelda Majora’s Mask

🍎Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
🍏Harvest moon: Magical Melody
🍎Animal Crossing (GameCube)
🍏Animal Crossing: Wild World
🍎Animal Crossing:City Folk
🍏Animal Crossing: New Leaf
🍎Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut
🍏Sonic Adventure Battle 2
🍎007 Goldeneye, Agent Under Fire, Nightfire and Everything or Nothing
🍏Super Mario Sunshine
🍎Halo
🍏Minecraft
🍎Nintendogs: Chihuahua and friends
🍏The Urbz: Sims in the City
🍎Age of Empires 1 & 2 & 3
🍏Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 & 2
🍎Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader
🍏Freddi Fish 3: The Case of the Stolen Conch Shell
🍎Pajama Sam: No Need To Hide When It's Dark Outside
🍏Reader Rabbit Toddler
🍎Wishbone
🍏Need For Speed Carbon
🍎
Dogz (GBA)
🍏Sims: Pets
🍎Ourworld
🍏Neopets
🍎
Bomberman

Oh man, so many to really think about right now off the top of my head:

Super Mario 64: The first Mario game I ever played that made me fall in love with Mario
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/3D: While I played it on the N64, I was finally able to beat it when it was released on the 3DS.
Gex 64 and Gex 3: While there are many better platformers of the era, these two games I will always cherish
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon: A fantastic 3D game that is pretty funny
Goemon's Great Adventure: Another game in the N64 series that has some of the best music in video games
Kingdom Hearts: I remember getting this as my first game for the PS2 and it's still a classic
Animal Crossing: New Leaf: It was the game that made me love the AC series, I played the heck out of that game
Bioshock: This was the game that shook me as I was growing up. I was still in high school when this was released and was blown away with the graphics
Red Dead Redemption: The song that plays when you ride in Mexico for the first time still gives me chills
Max Payne 3: I often consider this a masterpiece in storytelling and is on my list of favorite video game of all time
Super Mario Galaxy: My favorite game of all time, a classic

• animal crossing: new leaf (most nostalgic)
  • pikmin 3 (second most nostalgic)
  • donkey kong country returns
  • wii sports
  • mario kart wii
  • tomodachi life
  • mario and sonic at the winter olympic games 2014
  • nintendo land

Last edited:
Mario Kart Wii
Wii Sports
Crash Bandicoot series
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
Cooking Mama
Scribblenauts
Drawn to Life
Kirby Superstar Ultra

I have a lot.

The original Ribbit King for the GameCube
The original Animal Crossing for the GameCube
Super Smash Brothers Melee
The original Spyro trilogy
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot Nitro Racing
Bomberman
Kirby Squeak Squad
Fire Emblem: Awakening
The very first Mario Party
Mario Kart Double Dash
Wii Sports
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic 2006
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Pokemon Conquest
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Mario Kart for the Wii
Mario Kart DS
Xenoblade Chronicles
Fire Emblem: Fates
Super Smash Brothers Brawl

And probably a bunch more I'm forgetting. :LOL:

Final Fantasy X will forever hold the most nostalgia for me.
Final Fantasy XII
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II
Jak and Daxter series

The most nostalgic games for me are:
  • Super Paper Mario
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Mario Kart Wii
  • Pokemon Platinum
  • Pokemon Black and White 1&2
  • Pokemon X & Y (I got my first and only shiny Pokemon which is a Flabebe)
  • Mario Kart DS
  • Kirby Squeak Squad
  • Animal Crossing-New Leaf (my first Animal Crossing game)
  • Yume Nikki (a great game and ahead of its time when it comes to Indie game RPG's)

Katamari Damacy
Sonic Riders
Kirby Air Ride
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Animal Crossing Wild World
Hamtaro Ham-Ham Heartbreak
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Kart DS
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire (not nostalgic but my fav Pokemon game)
Pokemon Firered
Pokemon Pearl
Mario Party 7
Sims 2 Pets
Thrillville off the Rails
Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
Kirby Squeak Squad
Sonic Rush Adventure

Back