• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Let me explain something

hmmm I agree that many aren't doing the hard stuff themselves, but what the devices do I would consider hacking as they are doing things with the game not intended for the general user.

Outside of this context though, hacking for me has always been another word for I've been lazy in my code lol

"Hacking (English verb to hack, singular noun a hack) refers to the re-configuring or re-programming of a system to function in ways not facilitated by the owner, administrator, or designer. The term(s) have several related meanings in the technology and computer science fields, wherein a "hack" may refer to a clever or quick fix to a computer program problem, or to what may be perceived to be a clumsy or inelegant (but usually relatively quick) solution to a problem, such as a "kludge"."

Thanks Wikipedia!

That's pretty much the definition of hacking. Modding is a form of hacking because you are altering a the codes of a game to do something that is not normally available without the codes. You say that AR is not a form of hacking, but yes, it is. It's just a simplified version of hacking. It's like premiums on a tf2 server. There's really nothing they're doing except typing in command codes into the game that alter the limits. It doesn't have to be some long sequence of codes or require hours of work. Even with homebrew. Sometimes, people just enter the codes into the wiis and 'hack' it. Hacking doesn't have to be something complicated.

-hacker

• a programmer who breaks into computer systems in order to steal or change or destroy information as a form of cyber-terrorism
  • a programmer for whom computing is its own reward; may enjoy the challenge of breaking into other computers but does no harm; "true hackers subscribe to a code of ethics and look down upon crackers"
  • In common usage, a hacker is a person who breaks into computers, usually by gaining access to administrative controls. The subculture that has evolved around hackers is often referred to as the computer underground.
-cracker

• a programmer who cracks (gains unauthorized access to) computers, typically to do malicious things; "crackers are often mistakenly called hackers"
thanks google

-hacker

• a programmer who breaks into computer systems in order to steal or change or destroy information as a form of cyber-terrorism
  • a programmer for whom computing is its own reward; may enjoy the challenge of breaking into other computers but does no harm; "true hackers subscribe to a code of ethics and look down upon crackers"
  • In common usage, a hacker is a person who breaks into computers, usually by gaining access to administrative controls. The subculture that has evolved around hackers is often referred to as the computer underground.
-cracker

• a programmer who cracks (gains unauthorized access to) computers, typically to do malicious things; "crackers are often mistakenly called hackers"
thanks google

Don't understand why you quoted me when it had nothing to do with my main point.

your main post wasn't the definition? :/

My main point was
"Modding is a form of hacking because you are altering a the codes of a game to do something that is not normally available without the codes. You say that AR is not a form of hacking, but yes, it is. It's just a simplified version of hacking. It's like premiums on a tf2 server. There's really nothing they're doing except typing in command codes into the game that alter the limits. It doesn't have to be some long sequence of codes or require hours of work. Even with homebrew. Sometimes, people just enter the codes into the wiis and 'hack' it. Hacking doesn't have to be something complicated."

off topic, but I still don't know who you were on older TBT.

My main point was
"Modding is a form of hacking because you are altering a the codes of a game to do something that is not normally available without the codes. You say that AR is not a form of hacking, but yes, it is. It's just a simplified version of hacking. It's like premiums on a tf2 server. There's really nothing they're doing except typing in command codes into the game that alter the limits. It doesn't have to be some long sequence of codes or require hours of work. Even with homebrew. Sometimes, people just enter the codes into the wiis and 'hack' it. Hacking doesn't have to be something complicated."

They're not doing the hacking, the AR has the codes in it and you just have to enable the codes.

They're not doing the hacking, the AR has the codes in it and you just have to enable the codes.

What nook said.

I don't count it as hacking as you're just selecting a code. The guys who write the code, find the code ETC are the hackers.

So people like MARLON for example are not hackers. Their modders.

What nook said.

I don't count it as hacking as you're just selecting a code. The guys who write the code, find the code ETC are the hackers.

So people like MARLON for example are not hackers. Their modders.

Thank you, kind sir.

Back