• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Japanese, anyone~? ください TT_TT

Um...

私のなまえはパステルです。私の誕生日は二月4日!虹と猫がだいすき!

My Japanese is quite rudimentary I know D:

I just started learning Japanese last week! I am currently learning Kana and I am using the app "Ja Sensei" which I find recommendable.

Do you guys have a suggestion how not to mix hiragana and katakana up? For example, hiragana's "shi" looks a lot like katakana's "re" and there are a few others that look very similar, at leat to a beginner.

I thought you were asking if there were any japanese tbt members..

I know a few ransom japanese words but I don't know how to exactly write them.
I know yatta, coninchiwa, ni hao, hai and of course kawaii desu. I don't watch anime so I didn't learn much

I thought you were asking if there were any japanese tbt members..

I know a few ransom japanese words but I don't know how to exactly write them.
I know yatta, coninchiwa, ni hao, hai and of course kawaii desu. I don't watch anime so I didn't learn much

Ni Hao is mandarin... Also, it's writtin konnichiwa

- - - Post Merge - - -

I just started learning Japanese last week! I am currently learning Kana and I am using the app "Ja Sensei" which I find recommendable.

Do you guys have a suggestion how not to mix hiragana and katakana up? For example, hiragana's "shi" looks a lot like katakana's "re" and there are a few others that look very similar, at leat to a beginner.

Start reading hand writings. I'm not even kidding, every person writes characters different so it's good to just practice and get used to the alphabets.

Last edited:
hey, i have a question- do japanese gamers typically know "omg," "lol," "afk" and other American internet slang? (is it all global intent slang at this point?)

hey, i have a question- do japanese gamers typically know "omg," "lol," "afk" and other American internet slang? (is it all global intent slang at this point?)

Most do not. The only internet slangs most Japanese people know are there own such as 'www'

i'll try
don't judge )x

ぼくのなまえわオィヴェルです。
びくわ15さいです。
ぼくわどおぶつの森がすきです。
idk if my name is right lol i know like 2 katakana so i just wrote oliver into my japanese keyboard on my phone and let it do its thing.

Weird question for you guys? Can any of you translate this?
^B0909AC7F1B5C6178620C76E85A7090FD0583E789529E39D71^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

The particles confuse me. Do I use "ga" or "wa" or "wo"??
And yeah, its awesome when I can read sentences and stuff >.<

o_o

I took a semester of Japanese in college, so I kinnnnnd of know it lol. (I got a B TT^TT, but that was because I was lazy! I had the best sensei who was generous with my grade)
TAKE MY ADVICE WITH A GRAIN OF SALT
Ga deals with questions. You put ga at the end of the sentence. It works like a question mark.

I never mastered the wo, but it has to deal with an indirect object or something? Or a place? o_O

Wa is practically used in everything /o/ safe bet is wa
do the wa wa wa wa

Our sensei had us learn hiragana first. He believes one day kanji will become obsolete because of how difficult it is to learn kanji. So that alone should tell you to learn hiragana and master it first. He had us learn hiragana, then we could learn katakana if we want(we had to master if we wanted to go to J2), then he gave us some kanji to remember. It was basic kanji like money, forest, water, etc. You should start slow. Learn how to make basic sentences. Don't focus on kanji first thing!! Also, hiragana is way more important that katakana. Katakana is used for foreign words!!

Definitely takes Aestivate's advice about writing it over and over again! That's how I mastered hiragana! (although I'm getting a little forgetful now since I haven't used it >>) I literally had a notebook full of hiragana+katakana from rewriting it over and over again. I'd stay many hours at night in the library constantly rewriting hiragana.

I also played a japanese mmorpg before which helped somewhat know what hiragana is what. I played the game PSO2, although it has an english patch, there's lots of hiragana and katakana around.

Last edited:
Okay I may be wrong but when using kudasai, it isn't used by Itself. It sounds out of place.
In the OP, I think it would be more appropriate to say おねがい onegai for "please!"
It can be used when asking for favors or begging.

Okay I may be wrong but when using kudasai, it isn't used by Itself. It sounds out of place.
In the OP, I think it would be more appropriate to say おねがい onegai for "please!"
It can be used when asking for favors or begging.

You can use kudasai by itself, but as you said it's rude like begging lol. Onegai is the more polite form, but it's weird by itself. It's normally onegaishimasu. Almost everything with "masu" is the polite form.

But I feel the way she's using it is correct. I think it's cute! >w<

Last edited:

Hiragana has a more rounded edges and curves while majority of katakana characters has a sharp edge/curve. For example, if you look closely「し」has a round curve while「レ」has a sharp curve at the bottom.

This is how I differentiate the two when I was small so I hope this helps! Good luck learning Japanese! ^^

i'll try
don't judge )x

ぼくのなまえわオィヴェルです。
びくわ15さいです。
ぼくわどおぶつの森がすきです。
idk if my name is right lol i know like 2 katakana so i just wrote oliver into my japanese keyboard on my phone and let it do its thing.

ぼくのなまえはオリバーです。
With the 'wa' particle they don't use the actual 「わ」but replaces with 「は」instead. I'm not sure how your phone got「オィヴェル」from Oliver but it's actually「オリバー」lol.

(としは)15さいです。
Because it's in hiragana I'm not sure what you're trying to say with「びく」, but if you were saying "my age is..." you would use「とし」. The reason why it's in parenthesis is because it's not always necessary to include it.

ぼくはどうぶつの森がすきです。

It's a great attempt so I wouldn't stress as much! Just keep practicing! c:

Weird question for you guys? Can any of you translate this?
View attachment 147297
Wendy:
Hey, heey~!
Where are you going, leaving me behind~?
It's not over yet!

「イシシ」is her catchphrase and there's no particular meaning other than her laughing. Her laughter is a little different compare to the 'norm'. Kinda like how Santa laughs "ho ho ho" while everyone else is "ha ha ha"!

My sister use to know it.... She took it in college. She said it was really hard because there is like 3 different versions? I don't know what I'm talking about XD

I went to Japan a month ago for the summer and I always had this language barrier between my cousins and I. This year, I strive to become fluent in Japanese... Now, how do I go about doing that? I used to be fluent in Japanese a while ago, but completely forgot everything :( Curse my mom for not talking to me in Japanese when I was younger!

dang, so somebody with a japanese AC cartridge might be just catfishing me, eh?

There are plenty of young Japanese who know American internet slang, especially ones who game. I know my students are always yelling "wtf!" when they think I'm not listening...

The grammar is actually really easy to me. I think it's because I'm already used to the SOV grammar.
日本語はすごい簡単だよ!安心してよ!

Wendy:
Hey, heey~!
Where are you going, leaving me behind~?
It's not over yet!

「イシシ」is her catchphrase and there's no particular meaning other than her laughing. Her laughter is a little different compare to the 'norm'. Kinda like how Santa laughs "ho ho ho" while everyone else is "ha ha ha"!
Thank you so much! <3

There are plenty of young Japanese who know American internet slang, especially ones who game. I know my students are always yelling "wtf!" when they think I'm not listening...

interesting, i take it you teach english abroad maybe? how many yrs of study does it take students to become fluent in english over there? man, the languages are so different, i can only imagine, it seems like a difficult undertaking.

Back