• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Japanese, anyone~? ください TT_TT

Nightmares

( ̄。 ̄)~zzz
Bells
Red Holiday Candle
February Birthstone (Amethyst)
New Leaf Token
Pink Hybrid Cosmos
Blue Candy
Yellow Candy
Tasty Cake
Happy Home Designer Token
Red Candy
Green Candy
Does anyone speak / anyone learning Japanese?
I've tried starting kanji but I am so stuck. ;_;
Does anyone have any tips on how to learn it? Any good books or websites?
ください ください ください

ありがとう~!

i learned hiragana and started learning katakana but i've forgotten a bit. i don't really feel that motivated to learn but i know a bit and definitely undarstand more than i can speak

it's p cool that i could read and understand what u wrote tho :>

- - - Post Merge - - -

japanese grammar is a pain tho i don't get it ):

i learned hiragana and started learning katakana but i've forgotten a bit. i don't really feel that motivated to learn but i know a bit and definitely undarstand more than i can speak

it's p cool that i could read and understand what u wrote tho :>

- - - Post Merge - - -

japanese grammar is a pain tho i don't get it ):

The particles confuse me. Do I use "ga" or "wa" or "wo"??
And yeah, its awesome when I can read sentences and stuff >.<

Last edited:
Have you tried using the textbook Genki? That's what most people use.
http://genki.japantimes.co.jp/index_en

I second this! I use their Genki textbooks as well. I found it very helpful using their CD and reading/listening along through the textbook.
They have a self-study room with flash cards, quizzes, and listening guides for Hiragana, Katakana, Kanji, grammar, and vocabulary!

がんばって!

私は非常に多く、このような興味深い言語であなたに話すことができるように義務付けられています。私の日本語は素晴らしいではありませんが、私は自分の能力に非常に自信を持って感じています。

私は非常に多く、このような興味深い言語であなたに話すことができるように義務付けられています。私の日本語は素晴らしいではありませんが、私は自分の能力に非常に自信を持って感じています。

I would try to get rid of using the word 私 constantly. It expresses a bit of arrogance and is mostly used by superior people. Other than that I spotted some particle mistakes but over all it's definitely not bad.

@L Cocoabean, I sent you a vm with the question if you're interested in getting some help from me :blush:

どうも ありがとう ございます、みな! :D :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

0-0 You're so good omfg

google translate ftw

Hi, I can help you with any kanji if you want me to, although my knowledge of kanji is also somewhat limited. I learned Japanese at school for 4 years so I'd like to think I'm somewhat good at it... ^^"

To be honest, the best way of learning kanji is writing it out over and over and over. Memorising it. Find ways you can remember it. Japanese is a very visual language, kanji characters are like little pictures that describe the character or word. So you could try to look at the kanji character like it is a picture, and memories it from that. For example...

The kanji for mori/forest (もり) is actually 森. Notice how they look a little bit like trees? Also, there's three of them, which signifies how there's multiple trees, which you would usually find in a forest. Just try to look at kanji characters like pictures, it makes it a lot easier.

Like the others have mentioned, online resources are also very helpful. You can try finding memory games to play online to help you with reading kanji and understanding it.

Good luck! Or should I say, がんばってください!

(And also, ください literally translates to "Please give me". If you want to say please you should say "おねがい(します)". You can use kudasai with verbs but you should translate the verb into te form first. For example:

"かいてください" = please write.

But if you don't know this yet that's okay, te form is kind of confusing. x3 Even I struggle with it. I'm not an expert!!)

I'm trying to, but it's really hard!
じゃね!See ya!
みず、おねがい!Water, please!
めぬ、おねあぐ!Menu, please!
あくま Demon/Devil
はい Yes
しに Death
がみ God
わたひわえっゔぃえです! I am Evvie!

aaaand that's all I know
*typed in romaji with Apple Japanese keyboard lol *

Last edited:
Hi, I can help you with any kanji if you want me to, although my knowledge of kanji is also somewhat limited. I learned Japanese at school for 4 years so I'd like to think I'm somewhat good at it... ^^"

To be honest, the best way of learning kanji is writing it out over and over and over. Memorising it. Find ways you can remember it. Japanese is a very visual language, kanji characters are like little pictures that describe the character or word. So you could try to look at the kanji character like it is a picture, and memories it from that. For example...

The kanji for mori/forest (もり) is actually 森. Notice how they look a little bit like trees? Also, there's three of them, which signifies how there's multiple trees, which you would usually find in a forest. Just try to look at kanji characters like pictures, it makes it a lot easier.

Like the others have mentioned, online resources are also very helpful. You can try finding memory games to play online to help you with reading kanji and understanding it.

Good luck! Or should I say, がんばってください!

(And also, ください literally translates to "Please give me". If you want to say please you should say "おねがい(します)". You can use kudasai with verbs but you should translate the verb into te form first. For example:

"かいてください" = please write.

But if you don't know this yet that's okay, te form is kind of confusing. x3 Even I struggle with it. I'm not an expert!!)

Oh lol TY! xD
I did start making kanji flash cards but I wasn't sure if that would be effective enough or whatever.
I've heard of associating the kanji with pictures and that seems like a helpful idea
Thanks so much! :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

じゃね!See ya!
みず、おねがい!Water, please!
めぬ、おねあぐ!Menu, please!
あくま Demon/Devil
はい Yes
しに Death
がみ God
わたひわえっゔぃえです! I am Evvie!

aaaand that's all I know

Haha that's what I do :p
And don't you know hello or goodbye?? :eek: shame on you!

Also, I hope you don't mind me correcting you but it should be: わたし は [name] です。

(And theres a couple more mistakes too but whatever)

Last edited:
じゃね!See ya!
みず、おねがい!Water, please!
めぬ、おねあぐ!Menu, please!
あくま Demon/Devil
はい Yes
しに Death
がみ God
わたひわえっゔぃえです! I am Evvie!

aaaand that's all I know

Water please: おみずください
Menu please メニューください
death: し
god: かみ or かみさま
I am Evvie わたしはエッヴィエです!

You're so close! Just be careful of your "tenten", the little dots on the side of your characters.

I live in Japan and do freelance Japanese-English translation on the side. So feel free to ask me any questions :)

Oh lol TY! xD
I did start making kanji flash cards but I wasn't sure if that would be effective enough or whatever.
I've heard of associating the kanji with pictures and that seems like a helpful idea
Thanks so much! :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

Haha that's what I do :p
And don't you know hello or goodbye?? :eek: shame on you!

Also, I hope you don't mind me correcting you but it should be: わたし は [name] です。

(And theres a couple more mistakes too but whatever)

I do!
こにちわ!
さよなえあ!

どうも ありがとう ございます、みな! :D :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

0-0 You're so good omfg

google translate ftw

Yes
I'm a pro
I use Google translate I don't really speak Japanese

I started learning Japanese at the start of Summer. I'm still at a very very basic level. I've just learnt Hiragana and Katakana and some basic grammar rules. Does anyone have any suggestions for someone who is trying to self learn and still at a very basic level?

For a total beginner, it is recommended to learn romaji first and then work on katakana and hiragana? Or skip romaji and do the other two?

do not start learning japanese w/o lesrning at least hiragana. you'll habe to relearn lots of stuff if u learn in romaji and it's gonna be a pain, also u won't really be anle to use it if u dont know st least hiragana...

For a total beginner, it is recommended to learn romaji first and then work on katakana and hiragana? Or skip romaji and do the other two?

Definitely skip romaji. There's a ton of different ways people write romaji, so it's just easier to start with hiragana and katakana.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I started learning Japanese at the start of Summer. I'm still at a very very basic level. I've just learnt Hiragana and Katakana and some basic grammar rules. Does anyone have any suggestions for someone who is trying to self learn and still at a very basic level?

My suggestion is still to use the textbook Genki, haha.

Back