• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

"i've moved out" villager glitch!

I adopted Zucker from someone 2 days ago. Yesterday he was unpacking. Today he is out and about my town.
Is there still a possibility he could glitch?
This would literally kill me as he's like my number 1 villager.

I TT'd one day forward to get Rowan out (he was in boxes in my town) and now I'm terrified to TT back to the current date (it's just a day ahead but I really wanted to keep the game in-sync with real time and avoid TT'ing whenever possible).
But yeah, I'm scared now.
I'm even scared to go online and scan in designs that I want at Able's (I guess I'm just getting overly paranoid) or just do normal item trades with people.

I adopted Zucker from someone 2 days ago. Yesterday he was unpacking. Today he is out and about my town.

I TT'd one day forward to get Rowan out (he was in boxes in my town) and now I'm terrified to TT back to the current date (it's just a day ahead but I really wanted to keep the game in-sync with real time and avoid TT'ing whenever possible).
I'm even scared to go online and scan in designs that I want at Able's (I guess I'm just getting overly paranoid) or just do normal item trades with people.

Some people have said their villager was fine for like a week and then glitched out. However, this seems to be a fairly uncommon variation of the glitch? If he's already unpacked and fine, then it's probably safe. But I can't give you a 100% reassurance.

A while ago I received a Marshal and everything was completely fine and normal, I TT'd back and forth a lot of days (I'm talking months worth of TTing) as I was trying to make space for another villager I was trading for. Everything was fine, even after I adopted Diana, so imagine my surprise when I had someone visit my island for the first time since I had Marshal move in, and when I went to check on his house it said he moved out, just out of the blue.

I thought I was safe because I saw a lot of people reporting that the villager glitches after a few days of TT, and since I did wayyy more than that I figured it was fine, but oddly enough all it took was someone visiting - I have a full island btw - and that triggered the glitch.

i just managed to fix the glitch by tting. i was trying to get someone else in plot so i could get stitches, and when i booted up my game, freya's plot (which was the glitched one) was gone! i was using the move out method where you tt by 5 days after talking to everyone. i had the glitch for about a week and a half, and i only moved about a month in. i understand some people may not want to tt, but this method worked for me.

A while ago I received a Marshal and everything was completely fine and normal, I TT'd back and forth a lot of days (I'm talking months worth of TTing) as I was trying to make space for another villager I was trading for. Everything was fine, even after I adopted Diana, so imagine my surprise when I had someone visit my island for the first time since I had Marshal move in, and when I went to check on his house it said he moved out, just out of the blue.

I thought I was safe because I saw a lot of people reporting that the villager glitches after a few days of TT, and since I did wayyy more than that I figured it was fine, but oddly enough all it took was someone visiting - I have a full island btw - and that triggered the glitch.
My god. What a mess Nintendo made.

When you were inviting Marshal, could you ask him twice? And did you see anything about residential services?

I posted earlier today in the villager trading forum that I think this possibly might be caused by visiting someone and then the glitched voided version of your villager gets passed to them, and thus your real villager thinks they moved. But it's very worrying that it seems you couldn't dump your void?

When you were TTing after Marshal's adoption and up until the day you had your visitor, how many actual game days did you play and save? That is, not how much time you skipped, but how many days did you actually play?

My god. What a mess Nintendo made.

When you were inviting Marshal, could you ask him twice? And did you see anything about residential services?

I posted earlier today in the villager trading forum that I think this possibly might be caused by visiting someone and then the glitched voided version of your villager gets passed to them, and thus your real villager thinks they moved. But it's very worrying that it seems you couldn't dump your void?

When you were TTing after Marshal's adoption and up until the day you had your visitor, how many actual game days did you play and save? That is, not how much time you skipped, but how many days did you actually play?
Yeap, that was the dodgy thing that happened that made me worry Marshal was going to glitch, was that I could ask him to move in more than once! Also me visiting someone else didn't cause Marshal to glitch as after he moved in I TT'd extensively, I'd say in terms of days played it was still definitely 1-2 months - I ran around each day to check for bubbles, the villager I was kicking out was extremely stubborn - but since he was fine after I went to pick up Diana that's not what caused the glitch, it was when I had someone over my island to trade!

When I was TT-ing to make space I initially was only TT-ing a day or two at a time and checking for bubbles - since I was scared I would mess Marshal up, but eventually gave up and did the 15 day method since the person I was trading with already had Diana in boxes but I still couldn't make space. So I had lots of time to interact with Marshal and everything was definitely fine up until I had someone visit my island!

I don't know if this will make anyone feel better, but I called Nintendo Support yesterday and while they couldn't fix my issue, they verified that they're aware of it and hope to have a patch out by the end of the month. Here's hoping it'll really be fixed, this time!

I don't know if this will make anyone feel better, but I called Nintendo Support yesterday and while they couldn't fix my issue, they verified that they're aware of it and hope to have a patch out by the end of the month. Here's hoping it'll really be fixed, this time!

Thank you for sharing. This is going to be comforting to many, many, many people!

Yeap, that was the dodgy thing that happened that made me worry Marshal was going to glitch, was that I could ask him to move in more than once! Also me visiting someone else didn't cause Marshal to glitch as after he moved in I TT'd extensively, I'd say in terms of days played it was still definitely 1-2 months - I ran around each day to check for bubbles, the villager I was kicking out was extremely stubborn - but since he was fine after I went to pick up Diana that's not what caused the glitch, it was when I had someone over my island to trade!

When I was TT-ing to make space I initially was only TT-ing a day or two at a time and checking for bubbles - since I was scared I would mess Marshal up, but eventually gave up and did the 15 day method since the person I was trading with already had Diana in boxes but I still couldn't make space. So I had lots of time to interact with Marshal and everything was definitely fine up until I had someone visit my island!

Ok so is it the case that EVERYONE who has had the "I've moved out" glitch has the situation where they could be invited twice? This is a commonality?

Was Marshal pushed out by campsite or amiibo? And if not, was Marshal amiibo'd in himself?

EDIT: the person you visited - did they have 10 villagers already??

Ok so is it the case that EVERYONE who has had the "I've moved out" glitch has the situation where they could be invited twice? This is a commonality?

Was Marshal pushed out by campsite or amiibo? And if not, was Marshal amiibo'd in himself?

EDIT: the person you visited - did they have 10 villagers already??
I don't think so for your first question, I read a bunch of posts about the glitch when it happened to me so I could figure out wtf was going on, but for some people it happened even if they didn't tt at all and the villager in question was a natural move out etc.

From what I gathered it can randomly happen so long as the villager is not from an Amiibo you scanned in or an island, if it's traded then there's a risk.

I don't remember if the person who gave me Marshal had 10 villagers, I was only there for a few minutes, but I'm pretty sure he was booted out with an Amiibo, but from what I read they've already patched that and the villager getting booted by an Amiibo is safe to adopt, but apparently if they get adopted out again the 2nd adopter will experience a glitch - not 100% sure though!

Hello! Just registered to document my issue on this thread.

I have pretty similar circumstances to everyone and some unique ones that make my situation difficult:

I adopted Raymond from a friend. It was an amiibo push but at this point it's been confirmed this is not the issue. However he is able to get Raymond easily and had adopted him put previously, and I saw that perhaps if the same lot is used to move them out it can cause this issue. I'm not sure if that was the case for me, but possible.

I also had Quillson move out the day before which opened up my plot so I COULD adopt Raymond.

I don't know if I was prompted twice to get him to move in, unfortunately. I genuinely don't remember.

My main issue: he glitches before I ever met him. So he CANNOT move out. He's permastuck and I have no way of pushing him out since I don't have an amiibo or anything. I'm not against pushing him out and getting a new villager and getting THEM to move out, my friend will help me get him back, but I can't even do that.

As it stands there's no way for me to fix this. I can't even move his house, he doesn't show up in the menu yet (probably because I haven't introduced myself because he doesn't even exist). He's still on my map though.

I'm so disheartened. :( I really hope this fixes soon and worst case scenario I lose him and the plot gets free. I'd really just love for them to make him functional. ;; I really don't want to start over - I've made a lot of progress I'm really proud of in game (w/o TT too, not that I'm against it) and it would just... feel awful to lose all the villagers I love and museum progress just to fix this one plot. :(

Also yes I did TT: I used the Google doc that was linked here earlier as a guide and TT'd day by day for over a month. Went back to my current day. Did it again. Nothing. :( I've been at it for about 5 or 6 hours.

Oh noo I had seen talk of this but should have checked it out more thoroughly because today I kicked Sprocket out via amiibo and had someone adopt him from me and now I feel terrible because this will probably happen :( ugh! Wish I could undo that because I don't want someone to experience this glitch because of me/can't help.

We did it guys!! Great work reporting! :D I really hope this is true because I'm scared to buy a villager from anyone or use my amiibo and that's just a bummer because I've been excited to move in my dreamies!

Hi everyone, I paraphrased a guide for a fix for the I've moved out glitch here:

Please note you do need to time travel, and you will lose the villager that glitched. BUT you'll be able to have that plot open again to get any villager you please to move in.

We did it guys!! Great work reporting! :D I really hope this is true because I'm scared to buy a villager from anyone or use my amiibo and that's just a bummer because I've been excited to move in my dreamies!
I can confirm that this is true, they're working on a fix for this currently. 😊

I wonder what the best course of action would be now - to stop anyone from moving until this is patched?
I'm definitely not doing anymore online play until this is fixed.
Post automatically merged:

i just managed to fix the glitch by tting. i was trying to get someone else in plot so i could get stitches, and when i booted up my game, freya's plot (which was the glitched one) was gone! i was using the move out method where you tt by 5 days after talking to everyone. i had the glitch for about a week and a half, and i only moved about a month in. i understand some people may not want to tt, but this method worked for me.
That's great if you don't care much for the villager that glitched.
But in my case, the villager I adopted, is the one I MOST care about. So I just want to minimize all possible risks of losing him at this point.

Last edited:
Your villager will be fine as long as you don’t visit anyone or have anyone visit you. Really hoping this does get fixed by the end of the month...great reporting everyone!

I apologize if this has been discussed/answered already, but do we have any theories on why this glitch occurs?

Back