• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

I need job ideas/recommendations!

xSuperMario64x

Canadian at heart 💜🇨🇦
Bells
Switch
8558-0128-9692
Island
He/him
Blue Hybrid Violet
Purple Hybrid Rose
Bluebird of Happiness Plush
Blue Hybrid Rose
Purple Violet
so for starters, in case you (the reader) are not aware, I am autistic. as such, I have limitations as to what I can and can't do. while I was in college for four years I've basically learned what my limits are in terms of how much I can work and for how long.

I'm looking to get a job so I can have at least some sort of income, but I'm having a really difficult time deciding where I could work. most places that are obviously hiring are large retailers and fast food places, neither of which I could handle due to me getting burned out so easily (constantly being surrounded by people is hugely draining for me). my last job was library shelver and I loved it, but the local public library is not currently hiring part time. I would like to find another job like that but I'm totally lost.

here is what I'm looking for:
• part-time only. I was a full time student for four years in college and I can easily say that's when my mental health was at its lowest.
• I also can't work overnight because I have a dog at home I have to care for.
• I would ideally like to work somewhere that isn't constantly crowded, meaning big businesses/retailers and fast-food. I can handle being around a few people but not crowds. simply being in others' presence is exhausting (see autism and masking).
• work should not require constant interaction with people (mostly strangers).
• I'm great with repetitive tasks, like stocking/straightening shelves. that's basically what my previous job was.

if it helps at all, my expertise is in music. I could potentially inquire at the local music store, though that's not a guarantee since it's a private business. so far I've considered being a stocking clerk at a place like Meijer, but that's about the extent to what I can think of doing.

this has been causing me a tremendous amount of stress and anxiety all day. I just need help and i dont have many places to turn. I would love to have recommendations. if you have any questions just ask :)

How about stocking at a retailer? I worked a few stocking jobs and customers very rarely would speak to me. In fact, I was usually the one approaching them to see if they needed anything. That’s definitely not a required part of the job though. Keep in mind though that I have only ever worked evenings and overnight in my life, so I’m not sure how crowded those stores would get during the morning hours.

How about stocking at a retailer? I worked a few stocking jobs and customers very rarely would speak to me. In fact, I was usually the one approaching them to see if they needed anything. That’s definitely not a required part of the job though. Keep in mind though that I have only ever worked evenings and overnight in my life, so I’m not sure how crowded those stores would get during the morning hours.
I wonder if an evening part-time position could work. maybe 7-10pm 3-4 days a week or however many hours/days. I would just hate for them to try to schedule me to work later.

Being an overnight and late worker for about six years, I will tell you that jobs are already expecting people to not want to work late. People almost always want two things: no weekends, and no overnight. Jobs won’t likely hold that against you if they’re already expecting this. This is very common.

I work bakery production at Whole Foods. Easy stuff you can do and minimal interaction with people. You’re packing the bakery items and adding the labels. Then you stock the products on the shelves. They’re currently paying $17 an hour and you don’t need any experience.

You could check out smaller local businesses to see if they need any help. Book stores, local retail shops, the local music shop like you mentioned. They may not always advertise if they need help, but if you show interest it's possible they could find something for you.

Most places where I worked part-time would ask what my available hours were and they tried to schedule me during those times. I think any decent place to work should be accommodating of that, and if they aren't then you probably don't want to work there anyway.

Since your training is in music, you could also offer lessons, but then I guess that would involve a lot of interaction with people.

Good luck in your search!

My cousin does carts for a local grocery store while going to school for welding. Neither require significant interaction with the public. I understanding welding is a trade that requires some skill, but working at a grocery store in one of the “behind the scenes” positions wouldn’t! Maybe working in the back areas of stores would keep you out of the crowds inside?

A music store would also be good. I know local music stores are often smaller so won’t have big crowds inside.

You could always work in a more "backstage" capacity at a business. A lot of them, especially the bigger ones, have jobs that have little to no contact with costumers like warehouse or clerical work.

If you can handle being around people at all, maybe you could try a small business that isn't as busy.

What are your qualifications? What did you study? Do you have any employable skills? That could help us give you more specific advice.

Ive done a bit more job hunting today and I'm really considering applying to the local craft/fabric store. they're not busy (at least not when I go), they have a part-time retail assoc. position open which only requires a high school diploma (I have a bachelor's degree) and no previous experience, and I really love going there since I enjoy plastic canvas, cross-stitch, sewing, crocheting, etc. hoping this works out for me!

I'm really nervous to apply though, I think that's prob just my anxiety talking but I hope they can make reasonable accommodations for the number of hours/days I'm able to work.

Ive done a bit more job hunting today and I'm really considering applying to the local craft/fabric store. they're not busy (at least not when I go), they have a part-time retail assoc. position open which only requires a high school diploma (I have a bachelor's degree) and no previous experience, and I really love going there since I enjoy plastic canvas, cross-stitch, sewing, crocheting, etc. hoping this works out for me!

I'm really nervous to apply though, I think that's prob just my anxiety talking but I hope they can make reasonable accommodations for the number of hours/days I'm able to work.
I think you should apply for it if you think it's something you'd like. If you get an interview, you can probably get an idea from them then if they would be willing to make the accommodations you need. If you don't get a good feeling, then even if they offer you the job you don't have to take. You can also quit if it turns out to not be the right fit.

As a side bonus, they might offer employee discounts and if you like shopping there anyway that will be a nice treat.

I’m not sure what your degree’s in, but you can try to find part time work that’s related to that field. It could potentially be higher paying and be more engaging with your field of study. You could also look to do remote work if face to face interactions/home commitments are an important factor. I don’t know the job market wherever you’re from so this is a general idea

Maybe some music (or just whatever) archive/library/office or stuff? I realize they might be hard to find, but you should really be offered help as for getting one. I was lucky getting my library jobs and my current one I work at a multilingual library service that's not interaction with a lot of peeps(I basically do everything behind the scenes and we work in an archive basically lol).

I'm autistic as well.
The best I've ever performed at a job has been my current job where I work 100% remotely. There's no small talk, no unwritten office rules I can't decipher, no sounds to contend with while I'm trying to focus, nobody watching my facial expressions or my stimming, and there is no surveillance or judgment when I need to get up and take a break. I would strongly recommend looking into remote work opportunities if you're trying to preserve your mental health and avoid autistic burnout. If you're keen on working somewhere in person, have you thought about maybe finding a way to work with autistic kids/youth? There may be more empathy and understanding of accommodations in that type of environment. I'm sorry if my suggestions are very off base, this is just what I would be most drawn to as an autistic person who avoids most people and places to preserve my increasingly limited energy. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose.

There needs to be more workplaces that are accessible and welcoming of neurodiverse folks. /soapbox

if you're musically talented have you considered offering voice/instrument lessons? i know a couple people who do weekly lessons with kids and teenagers and they make a pretty steady income.

I work at a retailer currently and it’s not the best job, but it’s definitely better than my past several ones. I think the things people suggested here are pretty good. I would second looking for a remote or WFH job. That’s what I’m currently doing seeing as I can’t drive, and like you I’m also a shoe in for it because I have a degree. There’s no stress of having to be around other people and you don’t have to go anywhere either. Whatever you end up choosing, I hope it goes well for you. 💚

Janitor and custodian positions tend to pay well and are low stress. I worked 5 hour shifts and I listened to podcasts, audiobooks, and music the whole time. College campuses, warehouses, and schools tend to pay the best. Typically 14-16 an hour.

I use to work in the cleaning crew at a movie theater. It was considered part time. Most of the time you work by yourself and you can listen to music and stuff if you want while you work since it was after hours. It was pretty easy and just like the poster above mine were only 5 hour shifts. If the fabric store doesn't work out for you, maybe look into a cleaning job. Hotels often need help with laundry and cleaning. You could also look into nursing homes or hospitals too. Most places offer part time and full time and a shift length varies by place. Sometimes it is 7 hours or 6 while others are 4 or 5. Even at my hold job some days were just 3 hours. Just depends what needed cleaned and if there were events held.

Looks like you got some good suggestions already! Just to chip in with another: how about stocking shelves in a bookstore as you enjoyed the Library job you had?

Back