• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

I hate NL villager dialogue.

neptoons

wut
Bells
Blue Bunny Balloon
Hi,
I recently started playing NL again after resetting my town 3 years ago and basically coming back once every 6 months, so I hadn't played the game fully for a while. Anyway, one thing I notice every time I talk to my villagers is the consistent asking for favors such as bringing them a fruit/bug/fish, delivering something to another villager, finding a piece of furniture for their room etc. However, it's not just rarely this happens, it seems to be EVERY single time I talk to one of them it's to ask for a favor or to change their greeting/catchphrase.
It seems funny/quirky villager dialogue in this game is pretty much nonexistant, I can't actually remember the last conversation I had with a villager that was funny or interesting, it's all just about favors or X character is in town so you must visit them etc etc. It's so mundane and playing other entries in the series, notably CF and WW make it seem even worse. I love CF dialogue so much, especially peppy and snooty villagers who really have distinct personalities, but in new leaf I can't find the difference between a normal, jock, snooty, peppy villager because they're all the same by ASKING FOR FAVORS!
What do you think? I'm interested to hear if people agree, I know NH has a dialogue problem too but honestly though it was watered down, it wasn't half as bad as this.

I disagree, I get plenty of conversations where they don't ask me for stuff. They also rarely ask me for new nicknames or catchphrases unless they ping me first.

The things they say can be pretty repetitive, I agree. Just yesterday I had a villager tell me the same thing like three times in a row.

I like what they say better than the conversations in NH, so there's that, at least :p

I've gotten really tired of their dialogue but that's because I have to talk to them a ton just to figure out if anyone wants to move out (I personally dislike that feature). I'd say the worst dialogue they can give are the ones giving tips on how to play the game. It's helpful when you're new to the game but obnoxious when you've been told those things 100 times. They also give tips when you're visiting someone else's town and it's not great to hear those over and over either.

Definitely better than New Horizons dialogue but still really lacking. I wish they didn’t make villagers so nice now. They don’t even have to be mean, just have more interesting things to say and more things to say in general.

Hahaha I feel you. I mean, I dont hate it, but it gets very tiresome. Every single day there's minimum 1 villager who wants a favour, like a special fruit or fish or bug, or they need new furniture etc.

Fruits I usually give them, and furniture if they tell me they want to get rid of something ugly. But I refuse to give more bugs and fish cause they keep them stored in their homes land it looks so stupid, and they REFUSE to give it away again lol!

I made the stupid mistake of giving one of my villagers a huge fish so now they have one of those 4 square tanks in their homes and they wont get rid of it.

My worst nags tho are the "can we hang out at x hour" I always just say "yes" and then decline when they ask what time we should meet. They get a little sad, but it doesnt seem to do much relationship wise. It's just SO annoying.

if we cant meet up right away, then it's a no from me.

I don't get asked favors too often, but that's probably because I'm new to the game and I haven't improved my relationship with my villagers. I think the most annoying thing is when they ask to hang out at a later time, because 9 times out of 10 I always forget and then I feel bad! The favors are kinda nice for when I get bored and I don't have anything to do in the game. I wish the villagers gave me money instead of clothing or furniture when I do stuff for them. Most of the time I immediately sell what they give me because I have it already or I don't like how it looks.
I would say that NH dialogue is worse than NL, there isn't really a reason for me to talk to my NH villagers anymore because they always say the exact same thing. Maybe after I play more it'll be like that in NL too?

I think City Folk has the worst dialogue by far but I can’t disagree too much with your points TC

At least the asking for favours in NL is something to do though. Honestly overall however I don’t feel NL and NH dialogue is as different as some people make it out to be, it’s just spread out better in NL since it has more other stuff to do, things like hide n seek, more special characters etc. you don’t notice the limitations as much as with NH.

for me both NL and NH villager dialogue are good enough to supplement the other parts of the game. GC dialogue was something I enjoyed but wished there was a bit more to, WW dialogue is peak and I could spend a lot of time on that alone

Last edited:
After Wild World the dialogue went on a steady decline. City Folk’s is noticeably worse, especially because you have to wait a while after talking to someone before talking to them about something different (why? For what reason?), then New Leaf’s dialogue gets more repetitive, and then New Horizons’ dialogue is just the most lifeless and repetitive. PG and WW had the best dialogue but WW’s, in my opinion, was better because it had a better mix of mean, normal, and nice dialogue. I hope the next AC game changes the dialogue issue but I think the reason for these changes is the same as the reason Mr. Resetti’s relevance and rudeness was lowered.

I played Wild World for a bit this year and while the dialogue was funny at times, I noticed the villagers had extremely specific requests (like wanting a certain bug or fish) that they would ask for over and over without caring that I already said no. Sometimes they'd even ask 2-3 times in a row.
This didn't happen in New Leaf...

I played Wild World for a bit this year and while the dialogue was funny at times, I noticed the villagers had extremely specific requests (like wanting a certain bug or fish) that they would ask for over and over without caring that I already said no. Sometimes they'd even ask 2-3 times in a row.
This didn't happen in New Leaf...
Yeah if a villager asks for a request, that’s usually the only thing they ask for until you complete their request.

Overall yeah NL diaglogue is worse than previous games, but at least they HAVE interesting diaglogue at all (I hate NH)
I've noticed that one of the first things they'll say to you is a request to get something, but after you either accept or deny the request they'll go back to normal conversation, and I've found those pretty fun. It took me 8 years of game play to run out of new things that they can say. But I do hate the tutorial dialogue. I've been mayor of this town for 6 years why are you telling me how to fish!!!

I actually forgot how many fetch quests you have to do in NL until I booted it up today... 😅

As for the dialogue, I actually don't mind the nicer/tamer personalities or lines, but I also deal with constant fetch quests and it does get boring after a while (for instance, there's only about 4 villagers walking around outside currently, I talked to each of them and 3 out of the 4 had asked me to do a favor for them). But I don't know if that's a problem with the dialogue as much as it's a problem with the game itself. I never considered requests as apart of the dialogue as they're all the same--a snooty villager asking for fruit is no different than a lazy villager asking me to catch them a specific fish.

I could definitely do without the constant fetch quests, but I still like the personalities of the villagers and how they speak (outside of them asking for stuff lol)!

Personally I really enjoy the new personalities, the tomboyish uchi and smooth talking smugs are my favorites. The jocks calling me "ladybro" is also great. I like that they ask you for favors cuz it gives me more things to do in game, even if they're a bit repetitive, but the worst part is when they keep asking for bugs and fish and their houses end up all looking like zoos 💀

I play NL for years and i never experienced this, whenever villagers ask me for favors is about 1-3 hours the last favor was requested. But yeah, the dialogues are pretty repetitive if you like to talk to them a lot! (me lol)

My fav dialogues personally is on the Gamecube version, while they get repetitive too you never know if a villager is gonna be rude or nice to you. As they have different answers for almost each phrase.

My tip is to only talk a lot with your villagers once per day, you know the tought bubble it appears when you talk to them a lot and they say "they have something to think about now"? Thats when you stop. Only talk to them again after some time to see if they have new favors to ask. This way you dont have to read the same phrases all the time, but still get to pass some time with them and level up your friendship level!

i don't like how they made the villagers way too nice and dumbed down the dialogue but i understand why so they don't get in the way of your role as mayor. it's still leagues better than the new horizons dialogue and they still have a lot of character though.

New Leaf was such a big step forward for the series in so many different ways but they definitely dropped the ball on dialogue. While I love the fetch questions and daily chores, the true conversations really only happen AFTER completing 3 - 5 daily chores. I really enjoy it but I believe it should have been handled like in Gamecube, where you had the option to chat OR do some fetch quests.

Its miles better than City Folk’s system (not specifically the dialogue but the process and repetition atleast) that was the worst.

I played the game for a while, maybe like 2 or 3 years, and never even realized this was a problem. They gave me a lot of requests but they also talked about what they liked, what they were doing, what they were wearing, etc. Maybe I didn’t realize because it was my first Animal Crossing game? I can definitely see why this would bother someone though.
I think the requests and games the villagers ask you to do actually made me want to talk with my villagers. unlike New Horizons where they just say one or two things and very rarely ask you to do something.

I remember I always preferred the Gamecube dialogs. Three options: request a favor, chat or cancel. Straight to the point. 😁

As for the repetitiveness of conversations in that one, I don't remember. I only talk to everyone at least twice for the day when playing an Animal Crossing game, so I don't experience repeat conversations too often. 🤔

Besides, I'm good at pretending and I often come up with my own interpretations for villager's dialogs, so my own humor helps make those dialogs more interesting. 😜

Back