• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!
  • TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

how do you pronounce merengue?

how do you pronounce merengue?

• mer-en-gay

• mer-ang

• other (comment below)

Results are only viewable after voting.
i've always pronounced it mer-en-gay like the dance because they're spelled the same way, but i've heard some people call her meringue (mer-ang). i never said mer-ang because the food is spelled meringue in english, not merengue (which is how the dance is spelled)

I voted other, because I pronounce her like the food, but I don't think the food is pronounced "mer-ang." "Muh-rehng" is how I've heard the food pronounced. She looks like food so I assumed it was the food reference.

I get why people pronounce it like the dessert, since she is pastry based, but I always felt like merengue was too fabulous to not to have a fabulous sounding name, and I think Mer-en-gay sounds more fabulous than Mer-anng.

in my head I say “mer-en-gay” and I’m pretty sure it’s pronounced “mer-ang” but I’m too far gone so I’ll continue saying the first way lol

in my head I say “mer-en-gay” and I’m pretty sure it’s pronounced “mer-ang” but I’m too far gone so I’ll continue saying the first way lol
haha yeah, I don't know where y'all are getting the gay from, but when I was much younger I just thought the rhino and food are both pronounced mer-eng and I have tried so hard to shake the habit but I just can't. it's a part of who I am now. there's no going back

She is literally named after the dessert...so, I pronounce it the same as I pronounce "meringue".

Which would be "rang"...like ringing a bell.

Last edited:
i pronounce it like i do in my mother tongue, which is a dish
it's me like in "medusa"
ren, with a strong r like in japanese or spanish (i dont think this sound exists in english)
and the ge, like gheto but if the e had the sound of ee like in "glee"
you know what, just put on google translator merengue in portuguese

I know nothing about Spanish dances but I do know something about pastries, lol, so I have definitely been pronouncing it mer-aang.

voted for other

i pronounce it Mer-eeng which sounds cuter to me anyway

mə-RANG is how the dessert is pronounced not "mər-ANG".

I assumed this was a mistake on the OPs part so selected mer-ang.

If I were still a kid, I would pronounce her name mer-en-gay (no offense to those who picked this option tho lol) but now that I'm older, I already know the right pronounciation for that word is mer-ang lol

mə-RANG is how the dessert is pronounced not "mər-ANG".

I assumed this was a mistake on the OPs part so selected mer-ang.

what's the difference? a non-native english speaker here

what's the difference? a non-native english speaker here

The stressed "R" sound is supposed to be on the second syllable not the first.

People frequently speak without annunciating each sound and will often slur syllables and words together. Hence why I think even many native speakers wouldn't notice.

Try saying it out loud with a pause between syllables.

Mer______AANG
Muh_____RANG

Back