• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How do you decide on room themes?

Drawdler

Profile comments open to water flowers 💐✨
Bells
Switch
4463-2469-1897
Island
Gondwana
White Pansy
White Pansy
Purple Violet
White Violet
Yellow Rose
White Rose
White Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Golden Watering Can
I have a lot of trouble with refining what themes I want for my house. I have so many themes I just want to decorate with but they don’t fit the overall aesthetic. Obviously thinking about wether you want utility rooms (and which) is great, but I always have trouble compromising and to this day haven’t finished a player house in this game. Tbh my boyfriend’s house in my town is coming along better as it has a more focused sleek/antique direction, but for my own house I just have these half-designed rooms and a main room (and maybe back room) that doesn’t fit the character’s aesthetic, and really only my basement is finished for sure. Plus I don’t want to make every house just be utility rooms, but it can be hard coming up with more ideas for an aesthetic like my planned arcade house.

I usually just go for like themes that matches every room. I make my main lobby an Antique room using only Antique furniuture. Then I use the rest of the rooms. The left room being the Bathroom, Right Room being a Regular Room with "Cute" theme furniutre items, then on the north room is the Kitchen. I know sounds generic but thats what I usually go for. As for the Attic and Basement I just usually put any random stuff just to fill it. Those type of rooms don't have a theme I just put anything random as for like decoration.

I choose a theme for each room separately from the others, usually centered around some set or individual piece of furniture I like, or inspired by a story. I have a mermaid/underwater room in my basement, a D&D-style fantasy tavern upstairs, a bakery in the main room, a mushroom forest on one side, a room filled with items that glow in the dark on the other side, and a Victorian-era bedroom in the back. None of them are meant to go together.

Unless my character has a “job”, I try to give them a basic house. Basic meaning that it will have a full size living room, a kitchen, one bathroom, one to two bedrooms, and the basement fluctuates in design.

Technically, I could save some space by having an area of the main entrance be a kitchen.

My main rep. has a basic house but there is no aesthetic. The living room is dark blue. The bathroom has a pink and brown color theme because of the cherry blossom furniture and wallpaper. The kitchen looks antique and brown. The bedroom has all of the Hello Kitty items. The second floor is a pastel workshop. I’m trying to make the basement look like a game room.

If you want, then you can make either the second floor or basement work as an apartment. It is possible but a bit challenging because everything will be condensed and minimal. Here’s the LINK.

Last edited:
My idea was to have a kind of pre-war, Victorian mansion ... The idea was based around the Classic Sofa but, of course, I had to re-think things in the end !! I also wanted the rooms laid out like they are on a Cluedo board, but that didn't quite work out either, so I improvised everything ...

I'm happy enough with what I achieved :)

Well I had decided that the back room was perfect for a kitchen area and I knew that I wanted an Asian themed room and a tea serving/living room on the first floor and the bedroom upstairs. The basement I had decided to make into a music performance room. I basically was just repeating what I had done in a past New Leaf game. My Asian room had to have a couple of kimono racks and Japanese styled walls and floors. Every other room has stuff that I think looks good together. My main room had a Mario themed floor and walls but is mostly random things that I couldn’t put into storage until I got the maximum storage space amount.

Almost always I base room themes on my overall island theme. For example, on my old island I had four characters that owned hotels based around the four seasons. However, that island is lost now so I'm thinking of making a "newly discovered" island with ancient ruins from HHP so maybe I'll only use one of the characters house for a hotel this time.

I have a lot of trouble with refining what themes I want for my house. I have so many themes I just want to decorate with but they don’t fit the overall aesthetic. Obviously thinking about wether you want utility rooms (and which) is great, but I always have trouble compromising and to this day haven’t finished a player house in this game. Tbh my boyfriend’s house in my town is coming along better as it has a more focused sleek/antique direction, but for my own house I just have these half-designed rooms and a main room (and maybe back room) that doesn’t fit the character’s aesthetic, and really only my basement is finished for sure. Plus I don’t want to make every house just be utility rooms, but it can be hard coming up with more ideas for an aesthetic like my planned arcade house.
i would say you should make a room that fits the aesthetic of the pieces, rather than trying to fit the pieces to the aesthetic! i don't think anyone judges for houses having different themes: if anything its a point of interest. a well designed room inspires admiration, regardless!!! go forth and have fun and don't worry about the theme really.

for me, i think i focus on highly specific ideas built around items i really like and try to create them: a lunch cart on a futuristic train, the equipment shop on the top of a ski slope, an outdoor bath in nature, etc. that are only loosely tied together, but bring me a lot of joy to be inside !

best of luck!

I had two modes in ACNH:

.."hey I made two of these rooms red, maybe I should just make all of them red!"

and

"lets update this sci-fi home into a torn-down looking home for an alien who isn't supposed to be living here"

I tend to look on Pinterest and take inspiration for what I think looks nice. But I try and keep it making sense as well. So a main room, bedroom, bathroom, kitchen...

In my main home the rooms are themed very randomly and don't really match each other, generally I just find an item of furniture I like and theme the rooms around it but as such the rooms don't have a similar theme. The main room and one of the bedrooms were done when the Sanrio items were released so thinking of changing them around to match the other rooms better.

The second house on my island has a more woodsy theme to it with light woods throughout and a slightly more rustic/cosy feel to match in with the surroundings of where it is on the island.

My rooms are pretty traditionally homey rooms; bedroom, bathroom (either individual or incorporated into another room), dining room and kitchen (usually connected but not always) and then the leftover rooms are kind of whatever I want to go with that I feel fit the individual character.

So, ever since Animal Crossing on the GameCube, I've always enjoyed making as many player characters as I could in these games. These characters are all, obviously, their own individual people and they have their own backgrounds, preferred styles and such. In New Horizons, they let you have a whopping 8 player characters.

For example, one of my player characters is a professor and her house is sort of designed like a college; the main room is a hallway leading to the other rooms, one of the side rooms is her bedroom, the top floor is a classroom and the basement is a library.

Another character is a professional dancer and they have the usual bedroom, kitchen & dining room, and bathroom, but they also have an exercise room and their basement is a stage complete with audience seating.

Another character handles the cemetery and their house is kinda like a mausoleum. The main room is a church, the back room is a display room for a casket, the basement is a tomb. The side rooms are a bedroom and kitchen. The second floor, meanwhile, is an outdoor dining and party area where mourners can celebrate the life of the deceased.

This is all doubtlessly easier and simpler because I don't play these games as myself but instead create characters. I couldn't really suggest what to do if you play as yourself and aren't sure what to theme rooms around. If you do play as yourself, maybe just think about what sorts of things you like and try to link those together somehow.

Im a big fan of going to random dream addresses and picking out little features I like to fill in unloved spaces/rooms on my island. A good example is the time I went to a dream town and saw someone made their basement an arcade - I though it looked really neat so I made my own basement arcade ! It fits wonderfully into my town :)

Back