• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How did you come up with it?

Croconaw

アリゲイツ
Bells
If you use an alias as your gamertag or character’s name, how did you come up with it? I prefer to use my chosen name on games like Pokémon or Animal Crossing, but for general tags or usernames, I’ll go with Croconaw. It’s self-explanatory, but it’s my favorite Pokémon.

I see some cool tags and names, so I think it’d be interesting to hear read how they came to be.

I used Nogwa for awhile cause the starbucks lady wrote that on my cup instead of Noah, so pretty much she inspired that username. I stopped using it after awhile but a few of my accounts are forever Nogwa.

I usually use my real name on games that ask for a name input, such as Animal Crossing or Pokémon. If it's an online game where my name is liable to taken, I'll probably use something like Real Name + Weapon the character uses, or something like that. I wish I were better at making up names, because it would make playing MMORPG's slightly more immersive.

It literally just came to me randomly when I was trying to come up with a Nature-based name for a game character. It’s been my main online alias ever since.

It varies at lot depending on what I'm playing and what time period I started it. The name I used to go by the most was Jirachi, which is still my favorite Pokemon. At some point I started using many other names including Kirby because I was a huge fan of those games. Most recently I'm likely to use the name Seastar or Marie. Marie is a character from Splatoon and Seastar is just a name I have given myself. My Switch name is currently Ribbon (originally meaning a character from Kirby) because I'm having trouble convincing myself to change it.

I use my TBT username, or 'Mar' for character names. Both stem from marmalade (which is always taken,) so I got super creative and added the letter 'i.' I was really into marmalade once upon a time.

When naming my characters, I usually just put 'Zelda' because it's a cool name and Legend of Zelda is one of my favorite video game franchises. (I also name myself 'Link' in TLoZ for obvious reasons, but I'm pretty sure I named one of my OoT files Zelda as a joke one time.)

I use my real name for games that have Miis in it, like Tomodachi Life or Miitopia, assuming it has a "look-alike Mii" mechanic in it. I already have a Princess Zelda Mii I made in TL, so naming my look-alike that would be pretty confusing anyways.
1683509344105.png

I don't play any online games that would require a gamertag, but if I did then it would probably be "Zelda64" or some other variation of it.

deleted

Last edited:
Mine is basically my IRL name. It's a combination of

• J = First Initial
  • K = Last Initial
  • Dos = Spanish word for 2 (I share a name with my father)

I work as a Computer Programmer/IT Guy, so JKDOS is clever spin-off of MS-DOS. It's pronounced (Jay-Kay-Da's)

Last edited:
I find names beginning with q and z aesthetically pleasing, so I often have names starting with z. I was initially going to have my forum name as zera but settled on zerous on a whim.
Other names I've used generally come from jumbling letters until I can make something I like, like zettra is one I commonly use now.
My other one is watr, because I really like water and rain, etc, but water was always taken.

i usually use tsalani. i got it from a skyrim name generator for my khajiit character lol, and ended up liking it a lot, so now i use it for everything

i always looked tired/sleepy at a previous job according to my work friends. so they started saying i would be sleepwalking and so sleepwalker seemed like a cool name at the time lol i added Zs though as a play on the cartoon Z's when characters would sleep.

My username is a play on words. I used to watch cartoons and sometimes there'd be a scene where they're doing "math in their head" and say something like, "add the two, carry the one..."

Well, I like cherries so my name is cherrytheone. (Also - double pun. I am the one and only cherrytheone.) My irl name is not Cherry but I like the nickname of being called Cherry.

For playing AC I was just thinking of cool names (went thru lots of fruit names, was Crystal at one point which i actually do like, name change? 😂) always returned to variations of Roxy. I wanted to get far away from my previous online life (if anyone is old enough to remember msn chat, I used to host a regional room 😊) so that name was totally out. I actually had the same name as one of the most beautiful members here.

So, that was long 😂 when I joined the forum, I went for the name I used forever on all AC games 😍💜

I'm sort of unique in my love of snakes and "snek" is a cute way of saying snake. I was quite surprised when it was available on here because its usually taken. I usually go by a different version of it like "sssnek" on other sites.

I made my tbt name up on the spot, I was thinking about princess and the frog and I just picked this. on animal crossing I use 'anna', and on most other sites and games I go by 'fingees'.

To append to my previous post, I came up with my Bell Tree username (which I've taken to using elsewhere as well) after Drake gave it to me in New Leaf. He was one of my favorites in that game, so I was happy to let him use whatever cheesy nickname he wanted. I was not prepared for the existential horror that would come when people starting to just call me "Belle" because they believed that was my first name and the "T" was the first initial of my surname.

gbeLz8.gif

[Actual footage of me when this happens]

I came up with LadyDestani as my online identity when I was a teenager. I wanted a name that sounded cool and reflected my interests in the occult, tarot, spirits and all things mystical. I tried different variations of names including words like Crystal, Velvet, Dark, Soul, etc. and finally landed on Destiny. The name just clicked for me and tacking Lady onto the front of it made it sound more mature in my opinion. I had to alter the spelling because every other variation of Destiny was taken, but Destani has grown on me over the years. It's become my spelling and I use it even if the traditional spelling is available.

I use some variant of LadyDestani or just Destani for any public usernames or gamer handles depending on character limitations. When naming characters in games, if my intention is for the character to be a representation of myself (even though I never make them actually look like me), then I name the character Destani. However, in a lot of games and especially in MMORPGs, I prefer to create OCs and come up with a name that fits the look and backstory I've given the character.

My husband gave me this giant stuffed T-rex (a Squishable) like 10+ years ago and I think I named the plushie after him in a way similar to my username. Then I had to come up with a Playstation ID so I combined Milly (my nickname) + Saurus + Rex + Junior. So Millysaurusrexjr was my gamertag/username for a while on multiple things.

It's kind of a cringe username tbh and I ended up changing it on Playstation a couple years ago but IDK if I have it in me to change it here! Though it's a lot better than the one I came up with for a couple other places (MinecraftMilly... or is it MillyMinecraft? I can never remember and that's why it's terrible)

Back