• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Have you ever wondered...

I always wondered by Isabelle would not let me place that bridge next to my house...

What I mean is the other Smug villagers don't come off as villains from an episode of Law&Order:SVU, and I don't think I'm overthinking it. I'm sure any adult player could just as easily connect the dots, but I do take this stuff more seriously than most people for personal reasons. So I'm pretty sure it could also be written off as an "adult joke", even if he was based off John Wayne Gacey. This is more than likely, imo, because most people aren't going to immediately think of Gacey. They're gonna be more likely to think of Pennywise the clown from Stephen King's It, and that's gonna be a lot funnier than thinking Pietro is based off an actual IRL killer clown because Pennywise isn't real. But what people fail to realize is that that isn't actually any better because Pennywise was, in fact, based off John Wayne Gacey as was Twisty the clown (American Horror Story: Freakshow), and several other killer clown characters.

I'm sorry, whatever your personal reasons are.

I disagree with you though, I'm an adult player and I've never assumed Pietro was based on John Wayne Gacey. Clowns are pretty common in books, decorations, toys etc. for kids so it's not surprising to me that a game made for kids first and foremost would have a clown character in it. Smugs have a sort of charismatic personality and are always dancing so it makes them fitting for villagers who could work in a form of entertainment, like how Kyle and Eugene seem to be musicians of some kind and have that personality too.

The idea of creepy clowns isn't really specific to John Wayne Gacey or to Pennywise the clown (and wasn't created by them), even... there are plenty of kids (and adults) who are and were terrified of clowns without having heard of either, I've read it's likely due to clown make-up and the Uncanny Valley effect or kids being scared of loud noises and such that clown acts sometimes have.

It's fine if that's your theory, the villagers lack enough of a story that we can fill in the blanks with our own opinions, but don't state it as fact.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Given their history of messed up references in their other games, yes. Other than that, I've always thought it was weird they created a clown character that flirts with the players -- a lot of whom are children -- and gets them to go in his house by decorating it with balloons and carnival games. I mean, the other Smugs come off a lot more playful, but I just find all these specific things about Pietro kinda creepy mostly because, again, of Nintendo's history of putting off jokes and references in their games.

All of the Smugs are flirty and they all have the same dialogue, it may be creepy but it's not specific to Pietro...

1. Why cant you catch frog villagers when you can catch frogs?
2. How are fish able to live in the museum even when the fresh and salt water ones are mixed up?
3. Why does Naomi look so scary when angered?
4. Why isn't Olaf a penguin name?
5. Why isn't there a wolf/fox named Foxy?
6. Why do bugs commit suicide by jumping in the water / off the cliffs?

Last edited:
- Gulliver mentions Bobbery from Rogueport in New Leaf. That means that the New Leaf village is in the same universe as The Thousand Year Door... Right!?
- Why do tarantulas & scorpions make loud static-esque sounds when moving?
- Who takes you back to your house after being bitten by one? & How do you get there that fast?
- In the original Animal Crossing, how does Resetti dig through concrete? & Where does the light come from? When he pops up at night, a light appears which illuminates the area around you two.
- What is pigeon milk!?
- Why did K.K. Slider sell out? He stated in previous games that his music is too pure for the commercial scene. In New Leaf, his records are sold at the Nookling's stores.
- Why does rain only begin falling on the hour. & Also stop on the hour. Rain never starts at a time like 12:17.
- How does a shooting star wrap a present and mail it? The letters could at the very least be signed something Marlon the Star Brewer, right?
- Sharks always have to move, right? Or else they sink. You can catch sharks. & When you do they're not too far from shore. The waters have to be VERY shallow where they are. So are they just resting on the ocean floor? & How do they move? Catching the waves? Pushing off?
- WHO BUILT RIBBOT!?
- AND IS WART JR. REALLY THE SON OF WART!? THE VILLAIN FROM SUPER MARIO BROTHERS 2!? Wasn't that game a dream?

I'm sure anybody could list dozens of random oddities. I'm just being comical.

Last edited:
What's up with that freaky alien message that appears on your tv?
Is an alien race trying to make contact with you? ...If so, why does the message only appear for a minute?
Does this have anything to do with Gulliver having piloted a flying saucer in Wild World and City Folk?
Are they after him?

TELL US, NINTENDO! TELL USSSS! Dx

I once made a fanfic about how Animal Crossing's story even began, and why normal animals are mixed with anthropomorphic animals. It explained the Nook and Able families and what happened to them, that everyone was human before something Redd did changed everything, how Tom had an older brother who was friends with Crazy Redd, who did something with gyroids and created Coco, then went mad and tried to create a means of immortality, and killed everyone who got in the way (including the sisters' parents) thus resulting in the whole town blowing up and people becoming animal-like, then Tom's brother ran away...

Believe me, it sounds much less cliche if you actually read it. But idk where it is, and I prolly need to rewrite it

I always wondered what the world looks like outside my town, but I assumed it's just a lot of other towns with different layouts, lol.

I've always wondered how old the villagers were, but they kind of hint at it a bit.
Cranky ones are older, maybe 40-50ish. (Kabuki is my example, as when he was talking to a peppy villager(i think), they were saying, "Her outfit was wicked cool! She got it dirt cheap!" and he's interpreting it as evil, cold, and dirty or something, and he's like, "But isn't that bad?'' because he didn't understand what she meant.)
Peppy ones are teenagers, I suppose. Around that age, 14-18. Because of the earlier conversation (above), I could see that. Pango is fitting for that example.
Lazy ones are young. 9-12ish. From my opinion, they're quite annoying and are always like food. food. nap. food. Ugh....Benedict is perfect for this. I hated him.
Snooty ones could be older than Peppy, but younger than Cranky. I consider Soleil or Blaire to be a decent example of it.
Jock ones... are about the same age as Snooty. 20-30ish. The time that you work out, and the common age range for athletes. Rudy is an okay example.
AH. Normal ones.. I could see them being slightly older than Peppy, but younger than Jock. So about 20ish. Chevre could work for an example.
Uchi.... uh... mid twenties. rebels that teach you how to defend yourself. I like Cherry as a good example. Fuschia's not too bad either.
okay.. so SMUG! my favourite..
They flirt with you. Also mid twenties. Like a weird dancing 25 year old that makes punny jokes. "If I may be so bold, you're looking as cool as a fair number of cucumbers" Basically complimenting the character by comparing them to cucumbers. Zell is a magnificent example of this. Which, I may or may not like being complimented by animals, which is why I'm obviously not going to fill my town with all my favourite smug villagers.

i always wonder about the parents too. i wish you could write them letters as well instead of just receiving them.

All of the above tbh LOL Though I have had Rosie tell me something about her being a grown up and living on her own or whatever o ~ o

What is the significance between Treehut and Anytown? Both are hometowns of the people who made the default patterns for Able Sisters throughout the AC series.

Last edited:
There are soo many things to wonder about. I kind of like it that way! Though, I would like to know the ages of villagers. But oh well~

Last edited:
Back