• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Has ACNH helped you through a tough time?

Hello everyone! I cannot thank everyone enough who has replied to this thread or have sent DMs offering support and telling me about your experiences with ACNH. I am really touched by all your kindness, and especially as I am still relatively new here, only joining at the end of May. I have felt so welcomed and I wouldn’t normally share anything like this, but I feel comfortable chatting to members here. @KittenNoir , I can relate to that as I have immune system problems and a few physical health issues. 💕

Last Wednesday, we collected her ashes and I know it may sound silly, but I have felt better knowing that she is back ‘with me’. Slowly, the tears of sadness and despair are turning to tears of laughter remembering all her funny ways and her singing along to her favourite songs or humming along if she didn’t know the words!

I do think I’m in a better place than even than last week. Although I still can’t get out of getting up at around 4am, but I don’t really mind as I like to get my work done then the rest of the day is mine. 🐴

With that said, I still obviously miss her like crazy and will never stop missing or loving her. I think about her every day, look at pictures and family videos. I know it’s going to be extremely tough at special occasions and especially Christmas as that was her favourite time of the year. As soon as it hit September she was starting to look online for new decorations and gadgets. Even though we have more than enough decorations to fill Blathers’ Museum, she always wanted some new ones! 🎄We’re still putting the decorations up as she absolutely loved them and all the Christmas lights.

I’m hopefully back into the swing of playing ACNH now (and posting a vast number of Buck screenshots!:ROFLMAO:) as I would never usually miss a day. Looking forward to getting back into it and also my 2nd island, as I’ve not really done anything with that one and I’ve had it since June! That’s a good project to get started with day by day. Planning to flatten that one and maybe move the campsite over to the Resident Services area.

Once again, thank you to everyone, and I would like to say a special thanks to a few members, you know who you are! 😍

Jenny ❤️

TW- PET MOUSE DEATH

Not ACNH but acnl my pet mouse died and i found my old 3ds so I started playing and its so helping
I'm really sorry to hear about your pet mouse, I adore mice. I really hope that playing New Leaf continues to help. ❤️

I'm sorry for your loss, first of all. Glad to hear you feel like you're in a better place now, even if it's just a little better. I lost my mom in 2011 and she was far too young as well. New Leaf helped me a lot in dealing w/ the loss of my mother and I think AC is the perfect game franchise to support you whenever you're feeling down.
Other than my own mother's loss I've been battling an eating disorder ever since 2007. Last year in February I hit a low point & I was hospitalized with cardiac arrhythmia & went into cardiac arrest shortly after. I restarted ACNH while I was recovering in the hospital and this new island I've had since then always felt like the 'new page' in my new, healthier life. This game helped me a lot mentally in my recovery throughout 2022 & what I love most is how the villager's dialogue remembers me to have a snack or meal every now and then, or when they tell me I'm good as I am. I made several references of my recovery process on my island as well, like how the hospital in HHP has turned into a clinic for disordered eating. I think because of all of this, every achievement on my island feels like a big victory towards full recovery as well... And this franchise gets more deeply rooted in my heart with each game!

I am so late to posting on this thread, but I wanted to post and say how sorry I am for your loss. I went through something similar with my mom and while she's okay, I know how absolutely scary and horrifying going through that is and I can't imagine how you must have felt and must still be feeling. My heart is broken for you and I'm so sorry that you had to suffer through this.
Animal Crossing helped me a lot when my grandma died. She didn't know about the game, however my first birthday after she passed was so hard for me and my mom bought me a copy of ACCF. First villager I met was Nana, which is what I called my grandma. It made my birthday feel so much better. I know it's just a silly coincidence, but, yeah =/
Anyway, I'm so sorry again for your loss and if I can ever be of help or whatever/if you just randomly need someone to talk to and no one else is around, my inbox is always open for you.

I am so late to posting on this thread, but I wanted to post and say how sorry I am for your loss. I went through something similar with my mom and while she's okay, I know how absolutely scary and horrifying going through that is and I can't imagine how you must have felt and must still be feeling. My heart is broken for you and I'm so sorry that you had to suffer through this.
Animal Crossing helped me a lot when my grandma died. She didn't know about the game, however my first birthday after she passed was so hard for me and my mom bought me a copy of ACCF. First villager I met was Nana, which is what I called my grandma. It made my birthday feel so much better. I know it's just a silly coincidence, but, yeah =/
Anyway, I'm so sorry again for your loss and if I can ever be of help or whatever/if you just randomly need someone to talk to and no one else is around, my inbox is always open for you.
First of all, I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your grandma. Secondly, please don’t apologise for not posting until now. My grief is still very much present and I’m grateful to anyone who replies to this thread as it is a comfort to hear about other people’s experiences and how ACNH or any AC game has helped them.

The story about meeting Nana on your birthday is so sweet. (Plus Nana is cute!) I don’t think it was a coincidence as I’m a strong believer in fate, maybe that sounds silly, but it’s a comfort to me to think little things that happen are signs from my Mum.

Thank you for your offer of support, it is genuinely appreciated. I always knew this community was so kind and helpful when I joined, but since my Mum passed everyone here has surpassed expectations beyond belief. I am forever grateful to everyone here. I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again, people on the opposite side of the world have been more supportive than some of my own family members. Some seem to think I should be over it by now, I don’t think I’ll ever get over it, just learn to adapt.

First of all, I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your grandma. Secondly, please don’t apologise for not posting until now. My grief is still very much present and I’m grateful to anyone who replies to this thread as it is a comfort to hear about other people’s experiences and how ACNH or any AC game has helped them.

The story about meeting Nana on your birthday is so sweet. (Plus Nana is cute!) I don’t think it was a coincidence as I’m a strong believer in fate, maybe that sounds silly, but it’s a comfort to me to think little things that happen are signs from my Mum.

Thank you for your offer of support, it is genuinely appreciated. I always knew this community was so kind and helpful when I joined, but since my Mum passed everyone here has surpassed expectations beyond belief. I am forever grateful to everyone here. I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again, people on the opposite side of the world have been more supportive than some of my own family members. Some seem to think I should be over it by now, I don’t think I’ll ever get over it, just learn to adapt.

Ohhhh gosh you're gonna make me cry. 😭 It's so true though. I've had some rough nights where I've just been sad, dealing with depression, etc and some ACNH friends would just come over to my town, we'd hop on discord or the phone or just hang in silence and fish or catch stars. It's always super comforting to know you're not alone. You're more than welcome to add me on the switch as a friend if you like! I'd say add me on the DS if you want too but I maaaay have misplaced that :3 shhh.

As for Nana, I've had her in every game I've played ever since. While my grandma didn't know about AC, I think she is the one who bought my game cube/first copy of my animal crossing game just because she saw cute animals on it. She also bought me Pokemon Gold when it came out to try and make me feel better after my best furry friend (a kitty cat!) passed away. So while she didn't know much about games, she helped me develop a love for games for sure. So it does kind of feel special to in a way have her -in- my game. ^^

In regards to "getting over" the death of a loved one - that was your mom! You can and will grieve for as long as you need and honestly I don't think we ever just get over the loss, we just learn to adapt without them. I know I needed to hear this when my grandma died but: It's ABSOLUTELY OKAY if you never get over it. As long as you don't let mourning your loved one destroy YOU, it's okay to not be okay. I think some people don't mean to be insensitive, but fail to not understand why others can't cope or respond to tragedy the way they do =( not that it makes it any better to be less supportive for you.

Honestly though, I'm so so glad the community here was able to help you. AC does 100% have amazing people in it.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm so sorry I didn't post until now, but I'm not very active on here. I hope you're okay, that must have been really hard to go through. I know what grief feels like but not for a mother and I am so sorry. You are an amazing and kind person, and even though I have never met you in person, I support you and I appreciate everything you do for this community. ❤️❤️

For starters, I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a parent is devastating, even moreso that it was unexpected. I am so glad you were able to connect with her over Animal Crossing and you still have the game as a happy reminder of her.

As for me, New Horizons has been there for some of the worst times in my life these past three years. It's kept me distracted, my villagers have uplifted me when I felt down about myself, and I've been able to immerse myself in the game when I felt down or depressed. Recently I picked the game back up after a burnout as a distraction after a rough year. My Switch broke and so I had to restart my island but I find that starting from scratch has been a great distraction. This past year both my parents suffered bad health issues that sent them to the hospital and rehab for a while, and I nearly lost my mom due to her having a heart attack, liver failure and kidney failure. I also was broken up with on my birthday, struggling financially and with employment, and I have to move out my house. In all this stress and struggles, the game has helped a lot and restarting has allowed me to get my mind off things for a bit.

Hey, I know its weird to do this thread again,

But it honestly currently is helping me through the hard ships im in right now. Because my mom is super sick and now in the hospital and I've cried myself to sleep for days. Im scared.

For the next two weeks Im gonna be home alone because I have to watch over them. Its so quite in tje house and all i feel is empty.
--
But i do have to hand it to Animal Crossing for helping me through what I hope will end well. But it does cheer me up, and entertain me through these past days. Just something about my boys always makes.me smile.

Im sorry to re-vamp an old thread. I just wanted to say how much the game has truly been helping me too.

Yes it did and it still does.
I'm suffering from IBS (basically my intestines and digestion goes haywire very often) and everything relaxing is a plus. AC helps me to take a relaxing break.

Yes it did. When the Covid-19 Pandemic was broke out in March 2020 it was the time that I got Animal Crossing New Horizons for the Nintendo Switch and it was the game that really helped me through the pandemic. Sure it has its issues but it wasn't for this game I would be so lost in my thoughts and not know what to do. So yeah Animal Crossing really saved my life. I know I criticized the game so many times in threads but I would not ignore the fact that it helped me during a difficult time.

Yes it did. When the Covid-19 Pandemic was broke out in March 2020 it was the time that I got Animal Crossing New Horizons for the Nintendo Switch and it was the game that really helped me through the pandemic. Sure it has its issues but it wasn't for this game I would be so lost in my thoughts and not know what to do. So yeah Animal Crossing really saved my life. I know I criticized the game so many times in threads but I would not ignore the fact that it helped me during a difficult time.

I hate how so many people think that "critizising" is always something bad. I like A LOT of Nintendo games but there's also a ton of fault I can find with each of them (and even more with the company itself). That doesn't mean I hate it/them or anything.

AC sure has helped me through some hard times. Obviously it was a big part of getting through the pandemic and being able to escape what was going on. But it has also been very helpful as of late.

I have had some legal issues that I have been dealing with since the first of the year. I had taken a break from the game for a little while, but when my troubles started up, I decide to pick it back up. It has been a big help in relaxing and getting my mind of things.

Hey, I know its weird to do this thread again,

But it honestly currently is helping me through the hard ships im in right now. Because my mom is super sick and now in the hospital and I've cried myself to sleep for days. Im scared.

For the next two weeks Im gonna be home alone because I have to watch over them. Its so quite in tje house and all i feel is empty.
--
But i do have to hand it to Animal Crossing for helping me through what I hope will end well. But it does cheer me up, and entertain me through these past days. Just something about my boys always makes.me smile.

Im sorry to re-vamp an old thread. I just wanted to say how much the game has truly been helping me too.

Sorry to hear your mom is sick.I hope she gets better soon. I know how you feel as my mom has been sick as well and playing NH has definitely helped.

I haven’t really had a “tough time” in quite a few years. ACNH did help me get through the boredom and monotony of quarantine though. And it brought my husband and I together.

Back