• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Guns

I live in a country where guns are illegal and where, unlike the US, we don't have to shoot each other to feel secure.

We don't shoot each other to feel secure, and I'm sure you realize that. I have 3 guns in my house and they're always loaded but I don't keep them, hoping for a chance to use them. They're there just in case some crazy ******* ever decides they want to kill me and take all my stuff. It's not likely at all, but that's not the point of preparing for the worst.

There's nothing wrong with using guns for hunting. As long as you don't do it just for fun, but to actually eat it. If you find fun in killing animals, as long as you eat it, and kill it in the quickest way possible, fine. You do you. And guns for self defense? That's the very reason guns exist. I don't know where people are getting this idea of "removing guns removes violence" because that's just plain dumb. You can sexually assault someone without a gun. You can build a IED without a gun. You can make a "knockout gas" and kill your victims in their sleep whitout a gun. Crossbows, knives, 3D printed guns... you can get them quite easily. If people really want to outlaw guns, to the point where you can't possess a handgun, then why don't we outlaw InstaPots, or nails? You can easily make a IED with those, and cause a whole lot more destruction than a handgun could. Heck, they're way cheaper, and no security check is required! And if people want to argue that those won't work for people who want to kill a single person, then let me tell you about knives. It's actually pretty easy to walk up to someone and stab them, believe it or not. Anyone willing to discuss this with me, I would gladly accept. Thank you.

There should be tougher laws on carrying knives in public. If someone could easily build themselves a gun, then build it with the intent to kill people, shouldn't the government and maybe a healthcare system lol be helping those people? Wanting to commit mass-murder, murder-suicide, or even just murder, should be considered a point where the authorities should step in and get that person help, surely?

- - - Post Merge - - -

We don't shoot each other to feel secure, and I'm sure you realize that. I have 3 guns in my house and they're always loaded but I don't keep them, hoping for a chance to use them. They're there just in case some crazy ******* ever decides they want to kill me and take all my stuff. It's not likely at all, but that's not the point of preparing for the worst.

But something should be done to help the people who feel insecure enough to need guns to protect their lives. Of course, that was me making a snarky comment, but at the very least controlling who can and cannot possess a gun can lower the need for guns for self-defence

There should be tougher laws on carrying knives in public. If someone could easily build themselves a gun, then build it with the intent to kill people, shouldn't the government and maybe a healthcare system lol be helping those people? Wanting to commit mass-murder, murder-suicide, or even just murder, should be considered a point where the authorities should step in and get that person help, surely?

We've all been angry enough with someone at some point in our lives to beat them half to death, but some of us choose to do it and some of us choose not to. Why should we protect the ones that make the decision to let go, give into their emotions, and cause harm to other people? Why defend their actions, or care about their lives when they obviously wouldn't care about you or your wellbeing? Ready for another hard truth? Some people are **** and will never change no matter how much money taxpayers throw at their therapy or anger management classes.

Maybe I was onto something with the shooting to feel secure thing.

- - - Post Merge - - -

We've all been angry enough with someone at some point in our lives to beat them half to death, but some of us choose to do it and some of us choose not to. Why should we protect the ones that make the decision to let go, give into their emotions, and cause harm to other people? Why defend their actions, or care about their lives when they obviously wouldn't care about you or your wellbeing? Ready for another hard truth? Some people are **** and will never change no matter how much money taxpayers throw at their therapy or anger management classes.

Well, you're a ray of sunshine, aren't you? You seem to really care about the mentally unwell, don't you?

Another hard truth is that nothing gets better if nobody, y'know, tries. Something needs to change if people are riddled with anxiety to the point where they feel their life depends on owning a weapon.

- - - Post Merge - - -

If you don't do anything about people wanting to commit murder, staging interventions to help people who are feeling that way, more and more people will kill other people.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Well, you're a ray of sunshine, aren't you? You seem to really care about the mentally unwell, don't you?

Another hard truth is that nothing gets better if nobody, y'know, tries. Something needs to change if people are riddled with anxiety to the point where they feel their life depends on owning a weapon.
Just because someone owns a gun, doesn't mean they are "riddled with anxiety" It's just being prepared. They just don't want to be a defenseless idiot hiding in the bathroom ****ting theirselves

Just because someone owns a gun, doesn't mean they are "riddled with anxiety" It's just being prepared. They just don't want to be a defenseless idiot hiding in the bathroom ****ting theirselves

Up the security in and around your house then? Heck.

You own a gun for a sense of sense of security. You shoot one to save your life, or someone else's in an emergency situation.

Feeling secure owning a gun (or 3) is only natural, considering it allows you to stop an intruder that's much bigger and much stronger than you.

Also, you seem to assume that every murderer is insane or mentally ill to the point that they just can't control themselves. That's not the case. There are plenty of sane people that choose to commit murder for their own personal gain, out of anger, jealousy, or a desire for revenge that are entirely aware of what they're doing the entire time.

Most police forces recommend calling the police and staying in a secure spot until the police arrive anyway. Walking in front of someone with a gun, holding a gun, would cause a shootout.

- - - Post Merge - - -

You own a gun for a sense of sense of security. You shoot one to save your life, or someone else's in an emergency situation.

Feeling secure owning a gun (or 3) is only natural, considering it allows you to stop an intruder that's much bigger and much stronger than you.

Also, you seem to assume that every murderer is insane or mentally ill to the point that they just can't control themselves. That's not the case. There are plenty of sane people that choose to commit murder for their own personal gain, out of anger, jealousy, or a desire for revenge that are entirely aware of what they're doing the entire time.

Nice assumption there. Regardless of mental state, an intervention is required to prevent murders and shootings.

- - - Post Merge - - -

this is why i won't go the the US

- - - Post Merge - - -

wat

Last edited:
A higher likelihood of coming out of a bad situation okay = a greater sense of security. What was confusing about that?

no i meant you saying that wanting guns is only natural. obviously feeling and wanting to be secure is a natural instinct in all animals, but i think you can feel secure without guns.

no i meant you saying that wanting guns is only natural. obviously feeling and wanting to be secure is a natural instinct in all animals, but i think you can feel secure without guns.

Reread what I said, I said feeling secure owning a gun is natural, because it is. And that's not the only thing that ensures that I can sleep at night. I also have deadbolts on my doors, a dog that barks at damn near everything.

I actually feel better knowing that if some criminal wanted to drive by shooting up my neighborhood that one of the people of my community could put a quick stop to it instead of (a word*) idly waiting for the police.

Where is your logic? Without guns, there would be no criminal shooting up the neighbourhood to begin with.

Last edited:
For anyone still confused about why Americans feel more safe with guns - consider that we have 300 years worth of legal guns floating around. And that's not even considering how many illegal guns are floating around. Even if all law abiding citizen have their's up (we won't) there'd be an incredible amount still out there and criminals will feel more secure in their ability to kill knowing citizens can't strike back.

Reading some of the arguments, I want to clarify that having a knife in public is illegal in the UK, exceptions being if you have a reason to such as cutlery when camping. You also have to be 18 to buy knives or anything "dangerous" (including glue) which could be an issue as playing by the law (at least in Scotland), you could be raising your own child by then and may have fled the nest.

Reread what I said, I said feeling secure owning a gun is natural, because it is. And that's not the only thing that ensures that I can sleep at night. I also have deadbolts on my doors, a dog that barks at damn near everything.

Which leads back to my point that people shouldn't feel that they need guns to feel secure, especially when there are other means of security such as deadbolts, tempered glass, security alarms (also known as doggos), ect.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Reading some of the arguments, I want to clarify that having a knife in public is illegal in the UK, exceptions being if you have a reason to such as cutlery when camping. You also have to be 18 to buy knives or anything "dangerous" (including glue) which could be an issue as playing by the law (at least in Scotland), you could be raising your own child by then and may have fled the nest.

I got ID'd for trying to buy Gorilla glue. Granted, I had to get my dad to buy it for me.

An example of this rule is the arrest made by Westminster of a man carrying a bag full of knives. I believe one was even machete length.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Possession of anything that serves no purpose other than to cause physical bodily harm is also illegal in the UK, such as brass knuckles, mace, guns, ect.

Carrying a knife in public with no good reason so is a crime as well. I think they're trying to crack down on the Bayonetta-style swords some online sites sell with no background checks or ID'ing.

For anyone still confused about why Americans feel more safe with guns - consider that we have 300 years worth of legal guns floating around. And that's not even considering how many illegal guns are floating around. Even if all law abiding citizen have their's up (we won't) there'd be an incredible amount still out there and criminals will feel more secure in their ability to kill knowing citizens can't strike back.

Exactly what I was thinking. I was reading the comments from other countries and thought it sounded very nice and ideal to not have guns (especially no police with guns so they actually want to help people, rather than go on a power trip), but we really do need to keep the dangerous people in check because there are a lot of them... *sigh*

Which leads back to my point that people shouldn't feel that they need guns to feel secure, especially when there are other means of security such as deadbolts, tempered glass, security alarms (also known as doggos), ect.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I got ID'd for trying to buy Gorilla glue. Granted, I had to get my dad to buy it for me.

An example of this rule is the arrest made by Westminster of a man carrying a bag full of knives. I believe one was even machete length.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Possession of anything that serves no purpose other than to cause physical bodily harm is also illegal in the UK, such as brass knuckles, mace, guns, ect.

Carrying a knife in public with no good reason so is a crime as well. I think they're trying to crack down on the Bayonetta-style swords some online sites sell with no background checks or ID'ing.

Imagine the scenario which a criminal does a day break in hoping to get some goodies to take home to their own family. Unfortunately one of the spouses is home with the kiddo. The dog wakes them from their nap or whatever. The spouse goes down to see what's up and the criminal decides they can't leave witnesses because they dont want to go to jail. Without a gun for the lawful citizen that criminal kills the family and leaves. With a gun the lawful family might make it.

And sure, the spouse in this situation could've called the police and stayed out of sight but the criminals might go through the house and see the family anyway. Plus what if the spouse at home thought maybe the other spouse came home early?

You cannot deny that having a gun as a last line of defense is less secure than having no weapon at all - because just because you and your friends don't have one doesn't mean your enemy doesn't, especially in the US where guns have been a part of our lives for centuries.

Back